Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
I hadn't watched wrestling since WCW died before tuning into RAW one night in 2004. Maven was guest GM for some reason and I kept watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Gonzo McFee posted:

You know what was poo poo? Summerslam 2004 was poo poo.

This show had Kane Vs Matt Hardy in their famous "Kane blackmailed sex from Lita so he would stop killing Matt, got her pregnant and then married his rape victim because he didn't want a bastard" feud, HHH beating up Eugene in a feud that got more TV time than all the other matches combined and JBL facing the Undertaker in a match that was so dull the fans started to do a Mexican wave so large the commentators all talked about it and called the fans dumb because they know not to poo poo on a Taker match. All the other matches were okay at best and the main event was legit good if you can get past one half being a murderer.

Awful, awful show. 2004 was a real dark time in WWE for the most part.

Don't forget the JBL/Taker match ended in a belt shot DQ as the cherry on top of the awful match. They had a rematch at Unforgiven, which JBL won with Heidenreich interference.

But yeah, the show was book ended by Great American Bash 04 with the Dudleys vs. Taker in the cement crypt match and Unforgiven 04 with Triple H burying new babyface Orton. It was not a great time.

Bhester posted:

I hadn't watched wrestling since WCW died before tuning into RAW one night in 2004. Maven was guest GM for some reason and I kept watching.

This was the lead up to Survivor Series I think where each member of the babyface team, which featured Maven inexplicably, got to be GM for a week. What a weird year.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 16, 2014

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
When was peak "HHH winz lol"? I want to say by 2004 he started passing the torch bit by bit, but by that point I was as sick of him being champion as I am of Cena being Cena now.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

sticklefifer posted:

When was peak "HHH winz lol"? I want to say by 2004 he started passing the torch bit by bit, but by that point I was as sick of him being champion as I am of Cena being Cena now.

2002-2005 HHH was pretty bad. He lost it to Benoit for about 4 months in the summer of 04, and Goldberg had it for 2 months in 03, but other than that, he pretty much had it for the most part during those years until losing to Batista in 05.

The worst HHH era is his 06-08 babyface run, starting with the DX reunion, which Bryan and Vinny referred to as his "Huntor the Barbarian" run. He would have terrible one sided feuds against guys like Carlito, Umaga, and Chris Masters, and do things that were supposed to make him look cool, but ended up just making him look like a dick like hitting Kendrick and London with the sledgehammer after they helped him out against the heels. There was the HHH spectacular No Mercy 07 where he had 3 matches on the same night, the last being a 2/3 falls.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Fish Of Doom posted:

There was the HHH spectacular No Mercy 07 where he had 3 matches on the same night, the last being a 2/3 falls.

As bad as Triple H's run has been since... 2002, this was an awesome story and I will always defend this PPV. Cena gets injured the Raw right before and since his opponent was going to be Randy Orton in a last man standing match, Vince awards him the belt. Triple H comes down and challenges him to a match, which is understandable even if you can't shake the hypocrisy of Triple H being awarded the belt in 2002. Triple H wins, but he was already booked in a match against Umaga. So he defends, and Randy Orton asks Vince to use his rematch clause that night since he was technically the champion, and it is granted as the last man standing match they had been advertising. Randy Orton wins this one and runs with the belt for months, even successfully defending it at Wrestlemania. I may just be a sucker for a storyline that runs through a full PPV but I really liked that.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

sticklefifer posted:

I'd say it was when he told Booker T that black people aren't good enough to be champion, and then beat him at Wrestlemania after a dumb match which included him waiting like 30 seconds to make the cover after the Pedigree, and Booker couldn't kick out because black people aren't good enough to be champion.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

No it's fine he was really just talking about "past criminals" so its totally not racist at all yep.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Fish Of Doom posted:

2002-2005 HHH was pretty bad. He lost it to Benoit for about 4 months in the summer of 04, and Goldberg had it for 2 months in 03, but other than that, he pretty much had it for the most part during those years until losing to Batista in 05.

The worst HHH era is his 06-08 babyface run, starting with the DX reunion, which Bryan and Vinny referred to as his "Huntor the Barbarian" run. He would have terrible one sided feuds against guys like Carlito, Umaga, and Chris Masters, and do things that were supposed to make him look cool, but ended up just making him look like a dick like hitting Kendrick and London with the sledgehammer after they helped him out against the heels. There was the HHH spectacular No Mercy 07 where he had 3 matches on the same night, the last being a 2/3 falls.

I'd really say mostly '02 to early '04. After he won at Armageddon the story shifted to HHH's decline. He tapped out and lost the title at WMXX. At Summerslam Evolution fractures, and Orton breaks away. After that, he's got 2 short reigns before he loses it to Batista at WMXXI.

That was the last time he won a title until No Mercy '07 and that was panic booking. (They lost their Main Event because Cena was injured in the final moments of the go home show).

Also it was a Last Man Standing match against Orton at No Mercy '07, who had also had wrestled earlier that night.

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

As bad as Triple H's run has been since... 2002, this was an awesome story and I will always defend this PPV. Cena gets injured the Raw right before and since his opponent was going to be Randy Orton in a last man standing match, Vince awards him the belt. Triple H comes down and challenges him to a match, which is understandable even if you can't shake the hypocrisy of Triple H being awarded the belt in 2002. Triple H wins, but he was already booked in a match against Umaga. So he defends, and Randy Orton asks Vince to use his rematch clause that night since he was technically the champion, and it is granted as the last man standing match they had been advertising. Randy Orton wins this one and runs with the belt for months, even successfully defending it at Wrestlemania. I may just be a sucker for a storyline that runs through a full PPV but I really liked that.

I agree. I can't really get mad at WWE for attempting to make good by the fans who had already bought the tickets and PPV on Orton being in a Last Man Standing match.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 16, 2014

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

No it's fine he was really just talking about "past criminals" so its totally not racist at all yep.

Yes, and Bog How called Funaki a "goof", not a gook! :haw:

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

the gently caress is this poo poo?

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

the gently caress is this poo poo?

like sanem but less funny

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Justin Godscock posted:

To be fair, the nWo was only six months old by the time of Souled Out 1997 and honestly still very, very popular because of the slow burn to Hogan/Sting. Though you can see the cracks in WCW's handling of it by the time. The idea of doing a brand extension with the nWo (the heels) and WCW (the faces) being on separate shows makes no loving sense and even WCW had the foresight to test the waters with a PPV (and then a Nitro at year's end). As well that the WCW guys were always jobbing and treated as jokes even during Souled Out.

That entire PPV is seriously a must-watch for wrestling fans because of how bizarre an experiment it really was.

Souled Out is interesting to me because if it had been treated as a beat to the NWO story rather than an some weird experiment to see if an NWO TV show would work it probably would have been amazing. You have the NWO becoming so powerful thanks to Bischoff's allegiance and their own power that they literally get their own branded Pay Per View. Throughout that show, you have the NWO showcasing a combination of dominance and deviousness: they can win clean if they have to because they're that good, but they're willing to cheat and take the easy way out because they're that evil. The whole night they talk about the heroes who aren't here to save the show, like Randy Savage, and most of the hot young stars who try, like Eddie Guerrero, get put down or cheated.

But then you have your hope spots as well. The Steiner Brothers manage to get one over on the Outsiders with some quick thinking and win back the Tag Titles. DDP shocks the world when he becomes the first guy to refuse to join the NWO, Diamond Cuts the hell out of Bagwell (I think) and escapes through the crowd like a big drat hero. And in the Main Event the Giant is put over in a big way by the match booking, literally no-selling the Mania 3 Andre Slam/Leg Drop, and it takes the entire NWO plus Bischoff making the count for Hogan to retain. And at the end of the night the crowd is properly chanting "We Want Sting!" but Bischoff tells them to their faces "YOU'RE NOT GONNA GET STING!" because tonight is the NWO's night.

On paper the show puts over the biggest, craziest angle in the history of American wrestling by making it look like the bad guys have really won once and for all, gives the audience a few feel good moments and builds up some credibility that some of the WCW guys like DDP, the Steiners, Giant and Savage will keep fighting, and continues that critical slow burn build to Hogan vs Sting.

In reality it didn't do any of those things, but the outline seems like it should have been genius.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if it wouldn't have worked if the nWo lost just a little more- they go in expecting to dominate, the WCW guys manage more than just a handful of upsets, Hogan only holds on through some desperate chickenshit heeling, they end the PPV showing their rear end a little- and then regroup and kick rear end until STING.

Granted you would have had to have a non-nWo ref to make it vaguely plausible- and of course none of the above matters if everyone still thinks the nWo will win everything and so nobody buys the show. It's an interesting experiment and I like that it's a PPV that exists for a story reason instead of just "it's been four weeks", but then you have the reality.

As it is it should have been a sign that the nWo had an upper threshold, they were still a heel stable and you had to beat them eventually. They never had that big rout, they just got bogged down in inter factional stuff.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

nWo Souled Out 1998 was the first wrestling event I'd ever seen and it was like Game of THrones-level devastating. Those bastards threw coffee in The Giant's face and broke his neck! :ohdear:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What's the generally accepted truth of the whole "Ultimate Warrior holding Summerslam 91 up for more money" thing? Is it true or just a hatchet job done after Warrior left?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So after the Rumble, which is widely being panned, I'm curious about choices for the worst Rumbles of all time?

It seems like Rumbles are generally well recieved, fun events, after this year it's kind of depressing to see how boring a Rumble can be when it just goes to hell around the middle.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think the WWE title match salvages it. And the rest of the show is okay, but nothing special. The year Vince won is still my least favorite.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
There were a couple from the mid 90s where the roster was clearly paper thin, so you have stuff like 1996 where Doug Gilbert from USWA showed up, and the Headhunters came in as the Squat Team, and were never mentioned again. As lovely as this year's booking was, at least there were people I wanted to see in it. '96 was jobber central.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Early to mid 90s Rumbles are fascinating to me because I wasn't watching wrestling at that time. When I got back into wrestling, it was really shocking to see a lot of that tired old crap and then learn that it was from the mid-90s, just a couple years before I got back into it, and not the mid-80s. The parade of nobodies with a pun for a name, or whose gimmick is "wrestling [insert random job]," or some awfully stupid thing like Kwang or Max Moon...I love it.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The mid-90s in general were just a fascinating time for WWF, if only because you could smell the desperation. Hogan left, so they trotted out Lex Luger as the new Hogan, but he left too. With most of their top stars in WCW, it was a nonstop string of bizarre gimmicks Vince kept throwing at the wall praying that something, anything, would stick.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I think the 2015 Rumble would be better received if Big Show and Kane didn't squash and eliminate Dean Ambrose, Dolph Ziggler and Bray Wyatt the way they did. Brass ring, my rear end Vince, die already.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

99 has an awful, awful card and a boring Rumble where nothing happens if Stone Cold and/or Vince aren't present. Mind you, the first and last 5 minutes of the Rumble match are great if you like seeing Vince having his nuts stamped on again and again

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

St Evan Echoes posted:

99 has an awful, awful card and a boring Rumble where nothing happens if Stone Cold and/or Vince aren't present. Mind you, the first and last 5 minutes of the Rumble match are great if you like seeing Vince having his nuts stamped on again and again

Isn't that also the Rumble where Mabel re-debuts only to get promptly abducted by the Acolytes and the Undertaker, who didn't participate in the Rumble at all? I also remember Kane being chased out of the ring by a bunch of people who wanted to bring him back to the insane asylum, what a weird loving Rumble.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Grendels Dad posted:

Isn't that also the Rumble where Mabel re-debuts only to get promptly abducted by the Acolytes and the Undertaker, who didn't participate in the Rumble at all? I also remember Kane being chased out of the ring by a bunch of people who wanted to bring him back to the insane asylum, what a weird loving Rumble.
Yep, all of which meant there were at least two occasions where someone made their entrance to an empty ring, and then stood looking awkward for 90 seconds until the timer started again. Happened with Droz and Shamrock from memory, and possibly someone else (maybe Edge?)

I still have kinda fond memories of it though, because it's the first PPV I watched live instead of getting the VHS much later as a birthday present :unsmith:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

St Evan Echoes posted:

Yep, all of which meant there were at least two occasions where someone made their entrance to an empty ring, and then stood looking awkward for 90 seconds until the timer started again. Happened with Droz and Shamrock from memory, and possibly someone else (maybe Edge?)

I still have kinda fond memories of it though, because it's the first PPV I watched live instead of getting the VHS much later as a birthday present :unsmith:

I have similar feelings for it, as I watched it during that magical time when WWF's big four PPVs were free on German TV.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

However, I think Rumble 99 is the one with the guys in the front row jamming the gently caress out to Gangrel's theme, so I can't hate it 100%.

bobkatt013 posted:

The Foley/Rock match is pretty infamous and worth a watch. It also has amazing Russo booking.

And by "worth a watch", the actual meaning is "worth a watch once, then never again". I still struggle to watch it. That match alone had to have taken a few years off Foley's life.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 29, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

St Evan Echoes posted:

The Foley/Rock match is pretty infamous and worth a watch. It also has amazing Russo booking.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Now that we have some time since the show, does anyone agree with me that, while Fastlane is not terrible to the level of WCW at it's worst, it still deserves a spot here? I'm of the opinion that were it not for the Network this show would honestly be viewed a lot worse than it is now. I think in general the Network has sort have caused reviews to be a little...softer I guess? I think it comes down to not really paying for the show so you tend to be a little nicer to it.

Fastlane really commits the sin of just being boring and nothing. It's a nothing show.

You have the really weirdly done, and possibly botched, finish to the Dust brothers match, a terrible Diva's match, and finally the desperate main event. It wasn't a TERRIBLE main, but the crowd really blasted it and it felt like Vince's desperate attempt to sell Roman by using Bryan.

Overall, it's the most forgettable PPV in a long while.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It was the opposite of a terrible main.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Alain Post posted:

It was the opposite of a terrible main.

I wouldn't go that far honestly. Again, it wasn't a terrible main by any stretch, but I think when you combine what came before as well as the general understanding that there was really no way it wasn't going to be Roman winning and the crowd reaction it just sucked any joy I could have gotten out of it away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
In my opinion the worst pvp of all time was the one that killed Owen Heart but that royal rumble where they gave Mabel the worlds largest trench coat sounds bad too.

• Locked thread