Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

meatpimp posted:

Every one is unique

...but not collectible. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagrange
Apr 27, 2002

wallaka posted:

E63 wasn't half the car the E55 was, anyway. #TORKS (whatever that is).

I disagree. I've driven both and the E63 is much more refined and feels like an evolutionary step over the E55. The 6.2l engine is both a thing of beauty and an absolute monster. Plus I'm partial to NA motors for reliability and maintenance reasons, and just there's no substitute for instantaneous and smooth power on demand whenever you want it. The 6.2l feels wired to your brain.

I'll give the torque and moddability nod to the E55 for sure, but I think overall the E63 is the better car.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Lagrange posted:

@ meatpimp: you're right of course

This guy GETS it.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
On the question of launch control: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5DRCTW-Q7o

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

VikingSkull posted:

The E30 is one of those cars that I think is a bubble. It's a great car, sure, but I think scene kids are the ones driving the price up now. A nice, clean, low mile example is always gonna be worth money, but like muscle cars, the custom guys and collectible guys are conspiring to make a somewhat valuable car become more valuable than it already is.

Its a shame too because I'd just fuckin love an E30 project car after the E34 is put to rest but they're an order of magnitude more expensive used.

I think the E46 is the next bubble BMW. Its a great all rounder right before the 3 series got really complicated and huge.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

I love how that guy is still having THE BEST TIME through all 50 reps haha.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Lagrange posted:

I disagree. I've driven both and the E63 is much more refined and feels like an evolutionary step over the E55. The 6.2l engine is both a thing of beauty and an absolute monster. Plus I'm partial to NA motors for reliability and maintenance reasons, and just there's no substitute for instantaneous and smooth power on demand whenever you want it. The 6.2l feels wired to your brain.

I'll give the torque and moddability nod to the E55 for sure, but I think overall the E63 is the better car.

The irony of all this is the 6.2 has borne out to be a lot less reliable (google the class action lawsuits if you're interested), and the suspension is identical and they're the same chassis code.

Lagrange
Apr 27, 2002

Tremek posted:

The irony of all this is the 6.2 has borne out to be a lot less reliable (google the class action lawsuits if you're interested), and the suspension is identical and they're the same chassis code.

I wasn't aware of the class action. Looks like it was booted for lack of standing, but thanks for the tip.

I haven't noticed any issues with mine, but I did just call the dealership to set up an appointment to see if that's what threw a "check engine" code that resolved itself awhile back. I doubt it, as I haven't heard any evidence of valvetrain problems. Either way, it's the best engine I've ever sat behind by a long shot. It's a thing of beauty, the exhaust note is like a gearhead symphony, and it pulls hard all the way to redline, shifts with a bang and keeps on going.

I can't speak to the similarities between the two cars' architecture, but I have more confidence and more fun in the E63. My thought when I drove both was that the E63 was more solid and connected to the road. Amazing handling for a 2 ton car. I suppose it could've been as simple as old 55 vs. new 63, but who knows? Plus the E55 I drove was a bit quirky. It jerked and made weird noises when the SC engaged, and the SC quit several times in traffic and also during hard driving. Probably the ecu playing heat management hall monitor.

In the end it's just a preference thing, I guess. I did drive the new TT E63 at Lime Rock and it's a hell of a nice motor, but not as visceral. Torque for miles, though.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

If you actually cared about reliability rather than badges you'd have never stepped within a hundred meters of an AMG product and would be driving a Lexus.

Lagrange
Apr 27, 2002

Wheeee posted:

If you actually cared about reliability rather than badges you'd have never stepped within a hundred meters of an AMG product and would be driving a Lexus.

Per several of my prior posts, I DON'T FIT.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Lagrange posted:

Per several of my prior posts, I DON'T FIT.

An LS460 has more room in every measurable category (unless you include depreciation, in which case the Merc clearly has more room to do that) and is cheaper, if not as fun to drive. And I'm sure other ones do as well, also from other manufacturers.

It's okay to admit you bought it for brand wanking and now want to try and get out of it, it's fine.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Lagrange posted:

Plus the E55 I drove was a bit quirky. It jerked and made weird noises when the SC engaged, and the SC quit several times in traffic and also during hard driving. Probably the ecu playing heat management hall monitor.

It needed a new intercooler pump. Pretty common problem with them, but it's only a $40 part. I drove an E63 and then an E55, there was no choice after that. Neither one is particularly collectible, though. I got bored with mine, unfortunately. It had an unhealthy appetite for 93 octane and rubber, and after a while, anything feels normal. Even something with around 600 horsepower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

iwentdoodie posted:

An LS460 has more room in every measurable category (unless you include depreciation, in which case the Merc clearly has more room to do that) and is cheaper, if not as fun to drive. And I'm sure other ones do as well, also from other manufacturers.

It's okay to admit you bought it for brand wanking and now want to try and get out of it, it's fine.

You think he bought a car for brand wanking and so he should have bought a Lexus instead? What brands of 500 horsepower sedan are acceptable in your eyes, need to make sure I don't embarrass myself here in Automotive Insanity.

• Locked thread