Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Life on the Moonsea isn't easy. Bandits, pirates, and cruel lords dominate the land, threatening those who make an honest living there. Now, a scourge is prowling the waters: A ghost ship has been striking small coastal villages, leaving its victims whispering about the "eye of the dracolich." Join the adventure and learn the truth behind this threat!

You have been asked by Doomguide Yovir to investigate a series of attacks occuring along the northern coast of the Moonsea.

You have now made your way to the city of Phlan to meet with Doomguide Yovir to learn the details of your job.

------
Game will be starting at 3rd level, this allows everyone who goes single class to have a subclass.

Planning to take 4 or 5 characters. Recruitment will likely be open for a week.

Probably going to need people to make use of #Moonsea, or a similar IRC channel that I am in, frequently. I like it when my players use IRC to discuss things and to easily be reminded when the thread is updated and such.

There will be some House Rules for this game, mostly stolen from here, so you might want to take these into account before building your character.

Attributes
Okay I am thinking of giving everyone an array. 17, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12

Feats
Everyone gets one free Feat at 1st level. And yes if you go variant human this means you start with 2 feats.

Short Rests
Take 15 minutes.

Martial Classes
Classes this pertains to; Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin, Monk, Ranger, Rogue

Maneuvers: All of the listed classes may use Maneuvers from the Battle Master archetype and gain Superiority dice like the Battle Master archetype. Every class listed above gains three Maneuvers at first level. Figthers gain five Maneuvers at first level. At the end of a Short Rest or Long Rest you may exchange the Maneuvers you know for other Maneuvers on a 1:1 basis.

Superiority Dice: All of the listed classes gain one Superiority Die at the start of a combat. Unused superiority dice carry over from turn to turn, to your total maximum number of superiority dice. You gain one total superiority dice at level 1. Superiority dice start as d6s at level 1. At level 6, your total Superiority dice increases to 2 and your superiority die increase to d8s. At level 12 you gain 3 total superiority dice. At level 16 you gain 4 total superiority dice.

FIGHTER

HP: d12 hit die.

Second Wind: Second Wind increases by 1d10 every five levels (2d10 at 5th, 3d10 at 10th, 4d10 at 15th, and 5d10 at 20th).

Unparalleled Warrior: From 3rd level and onward the Fighter automatically gains the class features from the Champion and Battle Master archetypes. The Fighter gains an additional Superiority die along with the listed Superiority dice he normally gains.

Improved Combat Superiority: Fighter superiority dice start at d8s. They increase to d10s at level 12, and d12s at level 18.

Tactical Genius: Starting at 15th level, when initiative is rolled you can choose to set your initiative to go before or after anyone else. You can not alter the initiative order after this choice is made.

RANGER
Hide In Plain Sight: Replace the original text as follows, ‘Starting at 10th level, you can attempt a Stealth check to hide even if you are in broad daylight, in plain view, or otherwise unobscured. You do not gain Disadvantage for hiding in this manner.’

Land’s Stride: Replace the original text as follows, ‘Starting at 8th level, you are treated as being permanently affected by the Freedom of Movement spell. This feature is not considered a magical ability and can not be dispelled or neutralized.’

RANGER ARCHETYPES

BEAST MASTER
Ranger’s Companion: Replace the following text with ‘Choose a beast that is no larger than Medium and that has a challenge rating of 1/2 or lower.’

Exceptional Training: Replace the text as follows; ‘Beginning at 7th level, on any of your turns when your beast companion doesn’t attack, you can use a bonus action to command the beast to take the Dash, Disengage, Dodge, or Help action on its turn. In addition, you may now tame a beast companion that has a size no larger than Large and has a CR of 1.’

Masterful Training: Beginning at 12th level you may tame a beast companion no larger than Large and with a CR equal to (Ranger level/3, rounded down.) Your Beast companion may also use one Maneuver per turn and uses your Superiority dice to perform the Maneuver.

ROGUE

Kick It: At 2nd level the Rogue may use the Knock spell once per day. This feature is regained after a Short Rest. At 18th level and onward the Rogue can use Kick It as an innate at-will ability. This feature is not considered a magical ability and can not be dispelled or neutralized.

Into The Shadows: At 3rd level Rogue may use the Invisibility spell with a duration of (Dexterity modifier) hours. The Range is Self and it does not require a Concentration to maintain. This feature can be used once per day. This feature is regained after a Long Rest.

The Unseen Hand: At 9th level the Into The Shadows class feature is treated as a Greater Invisibility spell instead of Invisibility but otherwise functions the same.

Tricks Of The Trade: Once per turn, at 9th level the Rogue may redirect one attack aimed at him toward a willing ally within 10 feet of him. At 15th level this range increases to 30 feet.

ROGUE ARCHETYPES

THIEF
Supreme Sneak: In addition to its original text add the following; ‘Allies within 10 feet of you may use your Stealth rolls in place of their own when sneaking. If an ally moves further away from you than 10 feet then they immediately lose this benefit.’

Safety Among Enemies: At 15th level, when you use Tricks Of The Trade you can nominate an enemy within range instead of an ally.

ASSASSIN
Assassinate: Replace the original text as follows, ‘Starting at 3rd level, you are at your deadliest when you get the drop on your enemies. You have advantage on attack rolls against any creature that hasn’t taken a turn in the combat yet. In addition, while you have Advantage from surprise, Stealth, Invisibility or any other means that conceals your presence, any hit you score against a creature that is surprised is a critical hit.’

Infiltration Expertise: In addition to its original text add the following; ‘This otherwise works as a Disguise Self spell that has a duration of Indefinite and can not be detected by magical means.’

Death Strike: Replace the text as follows; ‘Starting at 17th level, you become a master of instant death. When you attack and hit a creature that is surprised or that you have Advantage against, it must make a Constitution saving throw (DC 8 + your Dexterity modifier + your proficiency bonus). On a failed save, double the damage of your attack against the creature.’

MONK

Unarmed Strike: Starts at 1d6 damage, and uses a higher die size at each level compared to the PHB Monk.

HP: d10 hit dice.

Slow Fall: Replace the text as follows; ‘Beginning at 4th level, you are treated as permanently having the Feather Fall spell. This feature is not considered a magical ability and can not be dispelled or
neutralized.’

Make dash/disengage/etc. bonus actions like the rogue instead of costing ki, available at the same levels the monk would normally get the option for spending ki to do so.

The same houserules that I mostly copied have updated and more powerful maneuvers. But for now I will just use the ones that are in the PHB Battlemaster section. For Now.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Hey sounds interesting, more so than that mines of madness. Also willing to try this system again now that it's no longer Playtest mode.

I'll throw a character in here later.

Probably try something controllery

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 7, 2014

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Yeah I might be cajoled into making a character. Although I make no guarantees cuz I gotta start running Unnamed RPG soon.
Also, fighting ghosts sounds like a job for spellcasters. There is a high % chance that I'll app a Bard, if anything.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
I think I have a character idea, most likely a Rogue with the Assassin archetype. Will put up a character sheet once I do some research.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Been wanting to see how the Monk plays.

How much wiggle room do we have on reflavoring?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Should be quite a bit of wiggle room. What were you thinking?

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I definitely want in on this. I am considering a half-orc Paladin of Istishia. Istishia, being a primal god of Water and Nature and natural things, is duly angered by this intrusion into his waters by this ghost ship and wants Orc McTuskface to take care of it.

Someone post a sheet I can steal.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ryuujin posted:

Attributes
Okay I am thinking of giving everyone an array. 17, 16, 15, 14, 13, 12

How would you feel about "roll 6#3d6, treat 1s as 6s?" :getin:

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Ryuujin posted:

Should be quite a bit of wiggle room. What were you thinking?

Nah, I had an idea for a Kreen (reflavored Elf or Human) but I think it'll be easier to just make one of those two instead, to fit in the setting.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Alright I've mostly decided to be a Warlock cause my last 3.5 character was a warlock and I wanna see what they've learned from that. Either that or some Wizguy

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
I guess I'll be the first person to post a dude(ette?)

Adran Meliamne, Army Cook turned Monk

Deep in the Cormanthor forest, Harrowdale's militia were out on a routine expedition; just get into the forest, find some game, maybe mark a few new trees for lumber, the usual.

As for Adran Meliamne, she was just trying to make sure people got enough to eat. Rations do a man (or woman) good, of course, but when you're balls deep in trees, overgrowth, vines, and potentially giant bugs, wolves, man-eating flora and fauna of every shape and size, you deserve a good meal too.

With skilled, practiced, calloused hands, Adran dices vegetables, stirs pots of all shapes and sizes, and even uses a bit of those rare elven spices that her mother gave her 'for when you really want to knock a man (or a platoon) on their rear end.' All in all, it was shaping up to be a meal that the other guys might nod grudgingly in respect to her for, and in the militia, that's high praise.

Then everything went to hell.

Rathion and the other men on watch went down before they could scream. It was an ambush, so perfectly timed and executed that it was either supernatural, or planned in advance.

Once Adran went outside to see the commotion, she figured out which one it was.

Ghosts were killing her comrades. Ghosts? Seriously? She drew the sword on her belt and dove into the fray. She couldn't slash their incorporeal bodies, but the epithets flying from her mouth, a torrential mixture of Human and Elvish swears, let her attackers know she meant business.

There were men evacuating, who knew better than to tangle with the dead come to life. One, the millia's commander, Arathis, Rathion's brother, grabbed her by the arms and didn't let go until they were miles away from the doomed camp.

Finally, the evacuees' horses stopped at a crossroads. With a chance to catch their breath, the commander turned to the other men and women on horseback. He looked grim; in all his years serving as the Millita's commander, he'd never seen anything like what just happened.

"Commander, why didn't we go back to 'Arrowdale? You saw some of the men turn and --" One voice called out

"I know what I saw, Julian." Arathis barked back. "We will go back, but we needed to get out of that forest as quick as we could. After what just happened, I can't blame any of you for not wanting to come with me." He continued, resignation weighing heavily upon his voice.

Adran couldn't keep the doubt out of her mind. What were those things? What can she do to stop them? She lept off Arathis's horse.

"Commander, I'm not going back to Harrowdale until I learn what those things were, and how we can kill them." She said upon landing with a soft thud

Her fellow militiamen were quick to object. "You can't kill those things! They're not even..."

"Alive?" She finished the thought. "Well, until a few hours ago that's what we all were. Alive. Now what do we have to show for it? Dead comrades. People we left behind. I can't let that happen to anyone else, not until I know what to do." With that, she walks away from the people she thought she could never leave. A few followed her; a cook, it seems, can have a surprising amount of sway...

--

Adran's body swayed to dodge the punch. Pivoting and turning with her heel as the fist flew past her right ear, her left fist buries itself deep into a burly, muscled chest. "Oof! Nice one!" A rasping voice calls out. "That's enough for today, I think." The voice, belonging to Adran's instructor, Gorfan, continues.

The two return to Neutral Position and bow. "You've made remarkable progress, Meliamne-san. A long way from common cook!" He exclaims with deep guffaw.

Adran couldn't help but wonder about her former comrades. It had been some time since the ghosts attacked, and she left to figure out how to destroy them. Eventually, her inquiries led her to the Monastery of the Yellow Rose, who could provide her with little in the way of helpful information. To fight the undead as a mortal and banish them, you needed powerful magic, divine intervention, or a purity of body and mind that transcended mortality, according to their teachings.

Adran knew she wouldn't cut it as a wizard, and the gods didn't show her or her comrades any mercy, so her best bet was to train, to acheive purity of body and mind. Train she did, and now...

"Thank you, Gorfan-sensei." She replies automatically.

"In fact, I have a proposition for you, if you're willing to hear it."

"Of course."

"I know you don't want to hear this, but the undead...the ghosts, they're not going away."

Her face tightened at their mention. Only long training and dedication let her keep her cool.

"Where are they?" Was her first question.

"Ah, the heart of the matter, no? Across the Moonsea, in the town of Phlan. We received a missive from a Doomguide there. He's calling for heroes, you see. I'd be willing to send you to represent us, our order." Gorfan explains, gesturing to the world outside of their own walls.

"I'll go. I'll figure out where they're coming from, and kill them with my bare hands." Resolution? Anger? Courage? Adran couldn't figure out what she was feeling.

"Ha! You will go and investigate, Meliamne-san. No more and no less. You kill when you have no other choice. Above all..." he starts, and the two finish together.

"You never leave a comrade behind."

--

So the sheet might be messed up or w/e, it's only my 2nd 5e guy. Also I'll probably have to edit the maneuvers, since I'm not sure if the ones in the houserules match up to the PHB ones, obviously I'll fix that if I have to. Just wanted to get a character up though. Surprised nobody's :justpost:ed yet though.

PurplieNurplie fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 10, 2014

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

I'm still leafing through the book myself, I've been kinda going about it a bit slow due to drat Minecraft. Dunno how but that thing has taken a hold of my freetime once again. I'll get a basic thing up today! (hopefully!). Also the idea of doing a online character sheet without 4e CharBuilder is going to suck.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I'm sorta trying to wrap my head around how these Fighter houserules are supposed to work.
Like, can you be an Eldritch Knight and thusly be ALL the fighter archetypes?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

PurplieNurplie posted:

Surprised nobody's :justpost:ed yet though.

For me it's just been a matter of procrastination, sitting down and writing everything in a form-fillable sheet takes longer than clicking buttons in 4e's CB. You're monk is close to what I would've ended up doing build-wise, so I might change it up and go Fighter with those houserules if we want some diversity.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Swags posted:

Someone post a sheet I can steal.

This is the sheet I used to apply to ritorix's hoard of the dragon queen game, if you want it.
pre:
Name: 
Race: 
Class:
Level: 
Alignment: 
Size: 
Height:
Weight: 
Hair: 
Skin:
--------------------------------------------
STR: xx (+x) Save: 
DEX: xx (+x) Save: 
CON: xx (+x) Save: 
INT: xx (+x) Save: 
WIS: xx (+x) Save: 
CHA: xx (+x) Save: 
HP: 
Hit Dice: 
AC: 
Initiative: 
speed: 
Proficiency Bonus: 
Proficiencies:
	Armor: 
	Weapons: 
	Tools: 
Languages: 
Attacks:

Acrobatics (DEX):            +x
Animal Handling (WIS):       +x
Arcana (INT):                +x
Athletics (STR):             +x
Deception (CHA):             +x
History (INT):               +x
Insight (WIS):               +x
Intimidation (CHA):          +x
Investigation (INT):         +x
Medicine (WIS):              +x
Nature (INT):                +x    
Perception (WIS):            +x
Performance (CHA):           +x
Persuasion (CHA):            +x
Religion (INT):              +x
Sleight of Hand (DEX):       +x
Stealth (DEX):               +x
Survival (WIS):              +x

Passive Wisdom (Perception): xx
Background: 

Personality Traits: 

Ideals: 
Bonds:
Flaws:
Features & Traits

Equipment

Spells

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I am not sure you can be an Eldritch Knight and go with all the Fighter changes. It seems weird that it would allow all 3 Archetypes in one character, especially without mentioning it. I think getting basically both Archetypes at 3rd replaces the picking an Archetype at 3rd.

Strength of Many posted:

I originally intended it to be the latter, but I also planned on writing or leaving space open for people to use their own homebrew archetypes to pick from besides Eldritch Knight.

In a side thing i'm running a player in question has all three and we're play testing the changes extensively. I've yet to determine if the Fighter archetype amalgamation is 'too much' but so far it hasn't been. We'll see how it works out at higher levels.

Well so there is this. On the one hand he meant for it to be just the two archetypes, but is also testing out the Eldritch Knight archetype combined. Hmm okay, for fighter I will let you take either the Eldritch Knight Archetype at 3rd level, or instead take a Hero archetype that involves the talents system Yakk was using on RPG.net, which is not complete but should at least be able to fit for this level.

Yakk;18240363 posted:

Talents Known

code:
         0    1    2    3    4    5    6
  1      1
  2      2
  3      3    
  4      2    1
  5      2    2
  6      2    3
  7      2    2    1
  8      2    2    2
  9      2    2    3
 10      2    2    2    1
 11      2    2    2    2
 12      2    2    2    3
 13      2    2    2    2    1
 14      2    2    2    2    2
 15      2    2    2    2    3
 16      2    2    2    2    2    1
 17      2    2    2    2    2    2
 18      2    2    2    2    2    3
 19      2    2    2    2    2    2    1
 20      2    2    2    2    2    2    2
At each level you either learn a new Talent, or upgrade a low level one. When you reach level 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 or 18, you pick a talent of your highest level, and learn it at the next level up.

Sample Talent ideas:
Leap: You can jump 2/3/5/10/20/50/100 times farther than normal. If you spend an action to jump, this can exceed your normal speed. You can melee attack after using an action to jump as a bonus action, dealing an extra (ability leveld12) damage if the attack hits.

Strength: You have advantage on Strength checks to lift, push or pull, or to resist same. You can carry (ability level+character level/2, round up)*2 times more weight than normal. If you fail a Strength saving throw and have your second wind available, you can reroll the save. If the reroll fails, you lose your second wind and the save succeeds. Your current and maximum strength increases by (ability level*2).

Leadership: A follower is any ally who acknowledges you as their leader. Once per round as a reaction you can add d3/d4/d6/d8/d10/d12/d20 to a failed check or save a follower who can see or hear you makes: if the check still fails, you regain your reaction. Your followers have advantage on all saves against fear or effects (such as charm) that would promote disloyalty to you. Others can feel your leadership, and may want to follow you.

At 3rd level it would basically give you 0 level in the 3 talents above. Which would be the first number in each. So 2x farther jumps, with 0d12 or no extra damage if you make a melee attack as a bonus action after using your action to jump.

+0 Str, but advantage on Strength checks to lift, push or pull, or to resist the same. Carry 4x more weight than normal. And if you fail a Strength saving throw and have your Second wind available you can reroll the save, but if the reroll fails you lose your second wind and the save actually succeeds.

And finally any ally who acknowledges you as their leader counts as a follower and once per round as a reaction you can add 1d3 to a failed check or save a follower who can see or hear you makes. If the check still fails, you regain your reaction. Your followers have advantage on all saves against fear or effects (such as charm) that would promote disloyalty to you.

At 4th level you would increase one of those to 1st level.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 10, 2014

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

pre:
Name: Quarion
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Warlock
Level: 3
Alignment: CGTNLE
Size: Medium
Height: 5"5'
Weight: 230lbs
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Brown
Skin: Fair
STR: 12 (+1) Save: 11
DEX: 16 (+3) Save: 13
CON: 17 (+3) Save: 13
INT: 14 (+2) Save: 12
WIS: 13 (+1) Save: 13
CHA: 20 (+5) Save: 16
HP: 8(1st) + 10(5x2) + 9(3*CON) = 27
Hit Dice: 3d8
AC: 13
Initiative: +3
speed: 30
Proficiency Bonus: +2
Proficiencies:
	Armor: Light
	Weapons: Simple
	Tools: None
Languages: Elvish, Abyssal
Attacks:
   Eldritch Blast +7, 1d10+5 Force
Acrobatics (DEX):            +3
Athletics (STR):             +1
Deception* (CHA):            +7
Insight (WIS):               +1
Intimidation* (CHA):         +7    
Perception (WIS):            +1
Performance* (CHA):          +7
Stealth* (DEX):              +5

Passive Wisdom (Perception): 11
Background: 

Personality Traits: 

Ideals: 
Bonds:
Flaws:
Features & Traits
   Darkvision
   Fey Ancestry - Adv against Charms, No Sleep Magic
   Pact of the Chain, Sprite
   Actor (FEAT) - Adv Deception/Performance when attempted to be someone else
                  Can mimic after 1min of hearing. Insight vs Deception to save.
Patron - Great Old One
   Awakened Mind - Telepathy within 30ft /w sight
Equipment

Spells
0-Level
   Eldritch Blast
   Prestidigtation
   Mage Armour (Free)
1-Level
   Hex
   Tasha's Hideous Laughter
2-Level
   Invisibility
   Shatter

Slots 2

Spell Save DC 15
Spell Att Mod 7
---------------------------------------------
Invocations
   Agonizing Blast - +Cha to Eldritch Blast
   Armour of Shadows - Mage Armour
Basic stuff, more to come after I sleep a bit.

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
So here's a crazy thought I had.

What if you gave non-casters a sort-of "level adjustment" as a houserule?
Like, say, if you have a level of Fighter, you actually have the first 3 levels of fighter, just maybe only the HP and Prof from 1 level. The idea I had was to apply the rule to any class that gets Fighting Style as a feature, but you could probably easily expand it to Rogue/Monk/Barbarian.

Probably would have to limit it to only applying to one of these classes per character.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 25, 2014

• Locked thread