Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The World is not as it once was. Petty Kingdoms have sprung up in the wake of great empires, the Elves, Dwarves and Men war against each other when they are not trying to keep the Orcs and Goblins from their doors.
The World has changed, Gunpowder has brought new weapons to the battlefield, the ways of magic are slowly fading.
This is a problem to me, for I am Dragon.

Not a dragon, really, The Dragon. The cloth from which all other dragons were cut, the primordial effigy of all that is fire and death and wings. From my mountain caves I have watched the world for five millennia. I have more gold in my horde than every other Kingdom combined.

All is not good though. For some reason I crave a certain thing, something that I have never been able to explain. Over the countless years I have had to give in to this craving several times. But now things have changed. I cannot fly from my great cave with impunity, as the lesser races have cannon and fire of their own. They know I exist, and my last few visits have been rebuffed.

But I still need a Princess. A young woman of royal blood to talk to, to converse with as almost equals. For years I will be able to pretend I am something more than a monster in a cave.
I will admit, however, that it will not end well for the Princess. I have other, more primal needs, and blue blood adds a flavour that cannot be described.

“Vizier! Get in here!” I roar, causing the caverns to shake and my gold pile to settle a little bit more.

“Yes Master?” The current Vizier replies after a couple of minutes of running. I know the Kobold has another name, but they come and go so quickly, I long ago gave up trying to keep up with them. Their title serves well enough.

“I want a Princess.” I rumble.

“Is that wise, my lord? You remember the wounds from last time.”

“Of course fool! That is why I shall hire proxies to do my work! How stocked is the Larder Prison?”

“Well my lord! There is a recession on in the above world kingdoms, which makes desperate men risk much for even a small amount of your vast horde.”

“Good. Let us see what we have!” I raise myself from my horde, coins and other bits of gold cascading to the floor. We travel down to the deeper parts of my realm, where it is cool enough that the food does not spoil. Vizier scurry ahead to the records, and my the time I have ambled down, he has a list ready for me.

“Here we are my lord.” he says, showing me the list. “The top of the list is the man who managed to make it to your sleeping chamber a couple of months ago!”

“I remember him – Agrald he called himself, a brigand and thief – He could have made it out with a large amount of gold, had he not been greedy and attempted to steal a specific gem. He is perfect for the job of breaking into the Princesses tower and kidnapping her!” The Jailer opens the door to Avgrald's door, and shines a light into the darkness. Inside can be made out a figure chained upside down to the wall.

“Avgral! I have a task for you, you are to bring me a princess – Alive and unharmed! If you succeed, I shall reward you with your weight in gold. Fail, or double cross me, and I shall eat you and your entire living family.” Not waiting for a reply, I continue. “I shall also pay for others to join you on this mission. You may recruit anyone from my prison and staff, or from the outside world.”

“Do you agree?”

Welcome to One Last Job – The Fantasy edition.

This is a roleplaying game with a difference, players don't make their own characters, they are made on the fly by the players through the form of insults and anecdotes.

All players are currently blanks. The skills are as follows.

STRENGTH (hit things up close, lift and break objects, chase, withstand harm)
DEXTERITY (dodge, shoot, flee, pick locks, disarm traps, spot things, steal things)
INTELLIGENCE (counteract magical defences, cast spells, know ancient lore, heal others)
CHARISMA (charm, lie, persuade, intimidate, bargain with demons and gods)
WILLPOWER (Resisting charm and intimidate, pushing hard, just not giving up)

Player stat block (for your own use if you want it)

quote:

Name

STRENGTH = 2
DEXTERITY = 2
INTELLIGENCE =2
CHARISMA =2
WILLPOWER =2
Grit = 2
Stamina = 3
Legands = None
Equipment = None
Scars = None

I am the Boss – in this case, The Dragon.
The players are
Mr. Maltose
megane
ForeverBWFC
Coward
Speleothing

Mr. Maltose Is now playing Agrald the greedy robber – he has been hired to Break into the Princesses Tower and kidnapper her

Scenes
Break into the Princesses tower and kidnap her.

Mr. Maltose roleplay your reaction to the offer, then pick another player and get them started!

Enjoy the game all!

Scenes
Scene 1 - Break into outer bailey. Completion Track 7 (Adikar/Forever))
Scene 2 - Break open the gate. Completion Track - 9(Galip/Coward)
Scene 3 - Defeat the Royal Guard. Completion Track - 11 (Morgen/Speleothing)
Scene 4 - Disable the magical wards. Completion Track - 13 (Irena/Megane)
Final Scene - Break into the Princess's tower and kidnap her. Completion Track - 15 (Agrald/Mr. Maltose)

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Agrald Avgral Avgrald, Greeeedy Sneakthief

Blinking to focus in the sudden light, Agrald looks at the face of death. "A Princess? Oi, that's a bit of a corker right there. But doable, certainly doable. I can do it, but it'll take some time to get the appropriate sort of talents on board. It ain't easy to get them princesses out of those towers these days, as your lordship is probably quite familiar with. Gots all sort of magic heebies and all, what with all the royal godbotherers waving their mitts and wearing out their knees praying day in day out." The burglar hoists himself up and unchains his legs, falling to the ground in a heap. "Back in the day I had a godbotherer of me own for such scrapes, but then she went and got herself dead. Still, best bet is Irena, Cleric of The Dead Gods. Dead don't have much use for gold, acourse, but I figure I can get whatever she wants for this job." As he dusts himself off and stretches out limbs long unused, Agrald drops his accent. "Or I'll just threaten to set her bandages aflame. That would do the trick."

"I will say, Lord Dragon, that I would prefer my share be the weight I was before I began to enjoy your hospitality."

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Irena, the Late Priestess

The tomb door is slowly moved aside by a team of straining kobolds, and from the darkness within a rasping voice hisses in rage. "A thousand currrsesss upon hyou! May plagued beetles and black lice hinfessst the nethers of your great-grandchildren! Who daaaaaaares disturb oh hit'sss you, Agrald." Irena lurches forward, trailing dust and grinding rotten teeth in irritation. She looks the starved thief up and down disapprovingly. "I'd hassumed you were dead, hyou bastard. What a disssapointment."

"Princesss? Dragon? Sssszh... I sssupose I have no choice then. Being undead doesssn't make hyou a lot of friends, and if they catch me hupright again they'll ssseal me back in my tomb forever, gods cursse them. A dragon might be able to get me ssome more permanent freedom."

She carefully adjusts her headdress, tying some stray bandages back into place. "Hof course, I'm not going to tangle with any of the royal guardss for hyou of all people. We'll need sssomebody to get those basstards out of the way, and quietly too. Hmm... I've losst track of who's still halive. Jackie wass eaten by a giant ssssnake, right? I guesss we're stuck with that drunken fool swordsman you used to hire -- Morgen, right? -- if we can pull him haway from the women for half a ssecond."

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Morgen – The Drunk Fencer
They found him face down next to a bowl of cheap soup as the morning light began to stream into the windows. The bottle next to him had no label, and the nice young lady behind the bar wasn’t the gruff fellow who’d been serving him that evening. It certainly smelled strong, though. Finding his pants was a much more difficult, and involved Morgen stumbling incoherently beside Argald from brothel to cleaners to second brothel to the Emeraline monastery. Where the monks had even been so kind as to replace the broken buttons.

By this time Morgen had managed to come around to understanding he was on a job again. Though he was a little confused by the concept of a “the” dragon. Didn’t they blow one up by Varlsburg fifty years ago? His mom had had the newspaper clippings and a commemorative scale. Anyway, he strapped on his sword and practiced his swagger in circles around the tiny apartment. And bought two bottles for tonight, a small one and a big one.

“The small one is for me. It’s just wine, don’t worry. The big one is for you to share with Galip, the strongman from the south. You remember him?"

"Yeah, the one who used a half-pounder one-handed back in Bezzin. I think he’s maybe got a wife now? But we need a guy big enough to bust open a castle gate.”

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Galip - The Strongman from the South

The house in the Brown Swamp is cosy, covered in ivy, and the neatly-designed pebble path to the front door has been carefully nestled between the extremely well-manicured lawn. A flower bed of delightfully bright blooms welcomes visitors, and the "Home Sweet Home" picked out in delicate rosetone above the door adds to the almost sickening domesticity.

Of course the sounds of heavily-accented swearing are immediately noticeable long before they open the gate in the picket fence. Someone calls someone a witch, someone calls someone a buffoon, someone calls out for their mummy, someone else calls out for their dinner, and a dog won't stop yapping.

The door is answered by an enormous mountain of a woman, angrily clutching a squealing baby, staring accusingly from beneath a flour-speckled headscarf. When she realises that the callers are for her worthless husband, she harrumphs loudly and leads them into the darkened house filled with running children and excited animals.

Seated in a chair two sizes too small, dejected and grasping a failed shopping list, is the towering half-giant Galip.

Seeing the visitors his eyes light up. "Ah! My friends! Of course I have remembered that important thing that we discussed previously that we need to go to immediately right this minute!" He hurriedly grabs his leather jerkin and chains. "Of course, of course, I understand that there is no time at all to waste and that staying here to explain anything at all to Belitha would only cause more problems!"

Once hustled outside and away from the house, the caterwauling continuing perfectly well without his input, he listens intently to the details of the job, a mighty brow furrowing.

"The Dragon, Angralv? My moustache, that's rough. Well, although I owe you one for this," he indicates his missing left arm, "I promise you the gate will not hold against me, if only for freeing me. But if we are to get the Princess out once we have got her, we're going to need someone on the inside. Luckily, since we both moved on to new lives since we lost Jackie at Bezzin, I've been keeping in touch with Adikar Sorrow, our old lady of illusions where she works as adjunct to the Court's High Warlock." He chuckles. "They think she's an elf!" He then roars with laughter.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
Adikar Sorrow, The Lady of Illusions

Adikar chuckled to herself as the students parted before her like the tide before the shore. A simple glamour, this one, to take her short, hunched body and cloak it in the guise of a tall and noble elf. People saw what they wanted to see, heard what they wanted to hear, that was the trick behind the shadow arts. Soon, she would have full, unrestricted access to the warlock's private archives. Her client only wanted one page from one book, and she couldn't believe the payday on offer for it! Her mind started to wander, and the thought of the imminent gold made her dab at the corner of her mouth with her old, ratty handkerchief. Still daydreaming, it was no surprise she missed her pocket and dropped it on the floor. No doubt the students were shocked to see the wonderful embroidered silk turn to a grey cotton before their eyes, but they found their voices soon enough. Oh poo poo...

Arriving at her hovel with fresh bruises and scrapes from the chase, Adikar found two notes waiting for her. One was a job offer, from her old friend and running mate Galip. An oafsome fool, though never unpleasant to her as she could recall, his offer was enticing but a bit vigorous for her old bones these days.

The second note was from her previous employer, asking how close she was to acquiring his page. Ordinarily she'd have ignored it, but this time the note had an impatient tone, and was a little longer than usual. Apparently this time her employer had decided to include the consequences of potential failure... Feeling her blood drain from her face, Adikar swallowed hard. Maybe it was time she left town for a bit, perhaps a little longer than that! Re-reading Galip's letter, she started to pack. She'd be a lot safer with the dim-witted half-giant, that's for sure! Besides, it was just a little caper, like they'd run a hundred times before!

How hard could it be?!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Dragons Cave - Planning meeting.

The five.... let us call them entrepreneurs - gather in the Dragons cave. They try their best to ignore the giant fire breathing lizard that is watching them with something close to hunger.

"So." It speaks in a low rumble, pausing to lick lips that a the same size as the people in the room. "We have our team. Now you must make a plan, and prove to me that you are worthy of my trust. first you must break into the bailey of the castle, then you must break down the door to the inner keep. After that, you will need to defeat the Royal guards who will no doubt be protecting the Princess. You will then need to Disable the magical wards before breaking into the Princess's tower and kidnapping her."

"Turning our attention to the first of these problems, Adikar, what is your plan?" The Dragon asks, focusing its eyes on her.

Okay, here is a quick lost of scenes that I'll move into the OP so people can get them easily.

Scene 1 - Break into outer bailey. Completion Track 7 (Adikar/Forever))
Scene 2 - Break open the gate. Completion Track - 9(Galip/Coward)
Scene 3 - Defeat the Royal Guard. Completion Track - 11 (Morgen/Speleothing)
Scene 4 - Disable the magical wards. Completion Track - 13 (Irena/Megane)
Final Scene - Break into the Princess's tower and kidnap her. Completion Track - 15 (Agrald/Mr. Maltose)

We'll do the planning after this scene as flashbacks, as once your going, there will be little chance to stop I think.

Forever - what is your plan to get into the first part of the castle? Once he has posted, the rest of you can comment.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Paging ForeverBWFC.....

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Grey Hunter posted:

Paging ForeverBWFC.....

Sorry, spoke to you on Skype. I'm back in this now!

Adikar Sorrow, The Lady of Illusions

"Break into the Bailey, eh?" Lady Adikar paused, as if considering her options, but mostly for dramatic effect. "A force of a few hundred would be needed to storm that outer gate, but Disguise could get our group in without a hitch, I guarantee!" Rubbing the back of her head in a thoughtful manner, she outlined her plan.

"Disguising ourselves as prisoners and guards is a cliché, they'd see through that straight away. A supply wagon is an equally risky option. Shadow magic works by twisting people's perception based on their desires. Now, what would bored castle guards want to see, that they'd be willing to open a gate to complete strangers with no scrutiny..."

"Aha!" She thrust her finger up to the air for emphasis, enjoying this moment of attention from the group. "What if we were to disguise one of our good friends here as a prince himself, come to woo the princess? Princesses in towers get wooed all the time, the guards must be fending the suitors off with a stick! We pose the rest of us as bodyguards, servants, minstrels, whatever, an entourage basically!" My glamours can work some of the suspicions off, but we would still need to acquire some Props for the role. I can talk us in, but the main obstacle would be the Captain. If he's a strict man, he may still deny us entry, so maybe it's better if he was somehow removed from the outer gate before we got there? He'll be replaced by his second in command, and any man who is weak-willed enough to be content to be a mere gate guard should be no problem for my glamour and... charms."

She stopped here, to gauge the reactions of the room and see if the slower ones were keeping up...

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Galip, Strongman of the South

The enormous man frowns in thought, rolling his newly waxed moustache between fingers the size of prize-winning sausages.

"I am not small man, Adikar. I hope your spells are still as good as they were, else they see through a disguise pretty quick, yes?" He laughs, "But Captain Goller is pushover! I can persaude him, easy. He can't refuse a drinking contest. Nor win one, despite all his cheating!"

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Agrald Avgral Avgrald

"Props are a piece of piss. We need, what, fancy suits of armor or something similar? Good foundation for your misty houses of magic, at any rate. Let Morgen be the prince, he's got the mustache for it." He nods at Galip. "Find where that captain takes his drink, put him under the table, and I'll make sure he's more permanently disposed. From there it should be smooth sailing."

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Anyone else want to add anything to the plan? or shall we move on.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Irena

"I doubt I'll passs closse inspection, but as long as you keep the attention off me those worms will never know I'm there." She grins unpleasantly. "And I'm ssure we can arrange a small... accident for thiss Captain. Once he hiss drunk, we will make ssure he gets a good night's rest. Mmm heh hehhhssss."

She looks at Galip. "That means we'll kill or injure him, by the way."

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Morgen

"I shall require a recent edition of Brannolby's Noble Houses and some gossip magazines."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Town

You stand in the town surrounding the castle. Thanks to the petty wars that have been occurring in the last few years, the castle has raised all peasant buildings within bow reach of the castle. This has become the defacto market for the town - as the tents don't bring the ire of the Guard.

Before you stands the gate. It is time to start the job.

Sorry I've been a bit quiet - I've had a very busy weekend. Lets get this going.

Completion Track = 0/7
Danger Track = 2

Who wants to take the first crack? Remember to become the best at something, someone else needs to be the worst first, so this may be a good time to get some ineptness into play!

• Locked thread