Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Journal of Ji'aranji
Turdas, 28th of Last Seed
-

There has been word of the appearance of dragons now in this frozen land and the caravan thinks we will stay put for now. It is also my turn to cook for our group so I will write down my recipes to remember for the next time.

I'll be posting actual information spoilered from here on. Don't want to ruin the ~immersion~.

Crab Meat and Scuttle
We learned this dish from the book Redoran Cooking Secrets which we traded for when still traveling in Vvardenfell. A much warmer island compared to the far north of Skyrim.

1 large kwama egg (or 6 smaller ones) depending on what is available
2 cups Mudcrab meat
1 cup Bittergreen
I was torn between spinach and collard greens but figured spinach would go better in the recipe.
2 Tsp Scuttle
Scuttle is described as "cheese-like, greasy substance made from the flesh of local beetles is remarkably tasty, and has modest magical properties." Cheese-like and magical sounds like cream cheese to me!
1 cup heavy cream
Salt & pepper to taste

Line the bottom of the pan with the crab meat and then layer on the bittergreen.

In a separate bowl mix together your eggs, cream, cream cheese, salt, and pepper then pour it into your pan.

Bake at 350F for around 45 minutes or until a knife poked in comes out clean. Once it is ready, let it sit for a few minutes before serving.

Your end results will be delicious and bring smiles to your fellow khajiit.

Potage le Magnifique and Seared Slaughterfish
Recently we were sold the book Uncommon Taste written by The Gourmet. We think he is a bit full of himself but the content was interesting so we will give it a try. Along with the potage we will serve seared slaughterfish which are horrible creatures that deserve to be eaten. They have terrorized us in every part of Tamriel and having been bit on the tail by one before, this one will hold a grudge against them forever.

2 carrots chopped
1 onion chopped
2 1/2 Tbsp butter
2 cups beef broth
2 cups chicken broth
2 1/2 cups flour
Initially I thought that I would be fine with just one cup but kept adding in order to reach the right consistency and that's about how much I ended up using. Your amount will probably vary depending on how much broth you use

2 slaughterfish steaks
I used tuna steaks since they remind me of slaughterfish since they're big and can be aggressive but again feel free to use which ever fish you'd like

Season your slaughterfish with salt and pepper and leave them to the side while you prepare your potage.

In a pot over medium heat melt the butter and saute the onions and carrots until the onions start to become clear, then add in the broth and lower the heat. Once the broth begins to simmer start adding in your flour little by little and be sure to continuously stir so that the potage does not become lumpy. Add salt and pepper to taste.

While adding flour and stirring, heat up a pan to medium high heat with oil. When it has reached a proper heat add in your slaughterfish and cook both sides about 2 minutes each then remove and let sit while you finish your potage.

The potage should be getting nice and thick now. If it isn't, let it sit for a minute or so to let it reduce and thicken. Once it has reached the right consistency (it should be thick but still pour nicely) serve into a bowl and enjoy the hearty pairing.

Horker Stew
Visiting the coasts of Skyrim is when we first encountered a horker. A large fatty beast with dangerous tusks and an impressive call. The locals introduced me to a stew made with one which warms any traveler after navigating the cold landscapes of Skyrim.

2 carrots chopped
1 onion chopped
2 garlic cloves chopped
2 potatoes roughly chopped
3 tomatoes chopped
12 oz of your favorite ale
4-6 oz tomato paste
1 cup beef broth
1 1/2 lbs horker meat
I used fatty beef chunks since I have no access to horker/walrus meat but I figured that they would be somewhat similar. If you've eaten walrus please let me know what it's like.

This recipe is good for busy days as all you need to do is chop your vegetables and season your meat. This one seasoned the meat with salt, pepper, cumin, and a touch of red pepper. Throw all the ingredients in a pot and mix well.

Then leave it to cook Slow cooker on low for 6 hours while you deal with trades and travelers who come by asking many questions about many different things. We do not know what a dragon born is or any business about skooma. Very rude of them to assume that all khajiit deal with such things.

When the day is over, serve into a bowl and feel your body warm up, reminding you of home and of dipping your paws in warm sands.

Elsweyr Fondue
Elsweyr Fondue is a favorite of all khajiit as it is a dessert from our home which we share with companions on any occasion. When word came out that we were making this, even the shy Alfiq in our caravan came out to wait for its arrival.

5 oz gruyere cut into cubes
4 oz swiss cut into cubes
3/4 cup of moon sugar
12 oz of your favorite ale
A few dashes of nutmeg and even less of cinnamon

Coat the cheese cubes in corn starch while the ale begins to warm up over medium heat. Once it begins to simmer, lower the heat to a low simmer and begin to slowly add the cheese and stir gently as it melts.

This part can take some time so patience is required.

Once melted, add in the sugar and spices and stir more. If it is somewhat watery, add a little more cornstarch to thicken up the liquid. Let it simmer for a few minutes after adding and then serve into a bowl to dip with your favorite fruits to share with the caravan.

Having taken good notes, this one feels as though this is a good place to close today's journal entry. We will call upon this knowledge again some other time but for now we go to bed with a full belly and a warm heart and await tomorrows adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I like this entry very much.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Where's the skooma?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Where's the skooma?

Khajiit does not know what you're talking about :catstare:

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
Awesome entry!

Cranberry Jam
Apr 8, 2011
Very cool! I'm glad I didn't let my husband talk me into doing elder scrolls.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

This totally made my day! I never imagined what Elsweyr Fondue would actually be. How was it???

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
Laughin out loud at MOON sugar

capmtal
Sep 10, 2014
I suppose a sweet roll would be considered a donut? or a cronut(donut/croissant)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

psychokitty posted:

This totally made my day! I never imagined what Elsweyr Fondue would actually be. How was it???

It was very rich so it didn't help that I ended up making a huge batch. It was definitely good and not overpoweringly sweet or anything like that. Beer and cheese in its finest form.

• Locked thread