Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weird

by zen death robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhenInRome
April 1977 - One faction attempted to revolutionize the sport, by introducing Astroturf and electronic scoreboards, and moving the tournament to Crawley Leisure Centre. The BMBC refused to move the event from the Greyhound and held a rival event with two teams of Morris Men. The Greyhound as a venue proved to be more popular venue and carried on the tradition from then on.

Salmiakki

marbles. the game has been around for centuries. some people dont take it seriously, but theyre real chumps,. i think all of this, while sitting at the big marbles tournament, ready to face my opponents

Lil Cunty

The Greyhound Inn Tinsley Green, West Sussex, venue for the Annual World Marbles Championships.

weird

by zen death robot
its like how baseball fans will keep signed balls on their shelves, i do the same thing with marbles i caught during pro games. most marbles players have very small writing you see

Salmiakki

i have my own special marbles that i love very much. my favorite is the one i have nicknamed ''the goat eye''

smoobles

did someone call me

Matoi Ryuko

smoobles posted:

did someone call me

Yes, thank you for coming.

Lil Cunty

Some common glass marbles in standard and non-standard sizes.

Modern "steelies" or steel marbles. Original steelies were made from flat pieces of steel folded into spheres and showing a cross where the corners came together.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
Hot drat!

Finally the marble thread I've been waiting for :dance:

Lil Cunty

There are many versions of the game commonly known as "marbles", including Boss-Out, Chasies, Poison, Black Snake, Newark Killer, Off The Wall, Puggy, Skelly, Fort, Dropsies, Bridge Board, Nine Holes, Bunhole, Ring Taw, Cherry Pit and Hundreds.

vapoursquid

none other
the tournament scene is lame as hell. you want to see where marbles is really played? its out on the streets with the poor boys and we always play keepsies

we don't need any of you posh bourgeois pro players stealing our sport

treasure bear

i remember when i was a kid playing marbles on the streets of chichester in the mid 90s when my marble hero darren ray drove passed in his trademark rover 216

"hey kid" he said to me and fired a 1/2 inch blue catseye at me which i caught and from then on i have practiced every day since to become a champion marbles player just like my hero

weird

by zen death robot
i keep marbles in the watch pocket of my jeans so i'm always prepared

treasure bear

WhenInRome posted:

April 1977 - One faction attempted to revolutionize the sport, by introducing Astroturf and electronic scoreboards, and moving the tournament to Crawley Leisure Centre. The BMBC refused to move the event from the Greyhound and held a rival event with two teams of Morris Men. The Greyhound as a venue proved to be more popular venue and carried on the tradition from then on.

the greyhound will always be the true home of marbles

loving morris men ruin everything

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
Same. I keep a handful ready for any social interactions that might induce panic.

weird

by zen death robot
they wont let me on airplanes bc i wont leave my steelies

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
There's ways to hide them...

treasure bear

i carry a special marble mag for quick deployment

vapoursquid

none other

Luvcow posted:

There's ways to hide them...

its worth it. playing marbles on an airplane completely reinvigorates the game

bacalou

large glass marbles are some of the most amazing pieces of glass art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv-zvvc-9YM

treasure bear

bacalou posted:

large glass marbles are some of the most amazing pieces of glass art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv-zvvc-9YM

it is a tragedy that the most beautiful marbs are often the most fragile and are only used in exhibition matches

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
I often play marbles amid crowds, it's like marble parckour

tao of lmao

Salmiakki posted:

marbles. the game has been around for centuries. some people dont take it seriously, but theyre real chumps,. i think all of this, while sitting at the big marbles tournament, ready to face my opponents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am he

im a shark. i tuck my thumbs into my hands and fumble around with the marbles for a few games, then take suckers for all theyve got. its usually not much but small change adds up after a while. ive got a special jar for all my winnings. im saving up for better marbles.

• Locked thread