Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serra Station.

That floating hulk's been lost since the Great Undoing. Undoubtedly it's been drifting through the enormous dust storms that have obscured most of this world since everything went to hell. But now it's come into view in the skies near Barth's Bunker, and it's drifting towards Last Sanctuary. Some folks think it's a bad omen, some think it'll just drift back into the storms and leave us to our attempts to scratch out a living on this planet long enough to leave.

Apparently at least one party thinks that it's a chance for incredible profits. Do you agree?

~~~

I'm recruiting for a game of Dungeon World. The tentative plan is for 4 or so players, with sessions on Roll20/Skype scheduled Monday evenings (evenings for Pacific Time Zone folks anyway). This is going to be a fairly short campaign; you're heading into a flying dungeon to find what profit you may (up to and including the dungeon itself), and when you leave/escape/land the thing/etc the campaign will come to a close. I'm not setting any hard limits on playbooks for applications, but I'll let you know if I think it's a bad fit for the game.

The feel I'm aiming for with this game is somewhere between Borderlands and Eberron, if that makes any loving sense at all.

There will be no character advancement; rather, fulfilling an Alignment/Drive during a session or resolving a Bond at the end of a session will give you a free +1 that you can hold onto as long as you want, and can spend on a roll after you've thrown the bones. But, that's not so bad, because...

:siren: You start at level 5, and can take up to one move usually reserved for levels 6-10. :siren:

Finally, be sure to answer the following questions with your application:

Why are you signing up for this expedition? What makes you clearly the best candidate for this salvage crew? :smug:
What rumors have you heard about what the Station was being used for before the Great Undoing?
What rumors have you heard about what the Station's like now?

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
Interest post!!

Is the 6-10 advancement in addition to our 5 levels, or replaces one of the 1-5 advancements we'd take?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I've never seen a DW game start at a mid-level point. And run by Tollymain, no less.

This should be a glorious, phone-posted trainwreck, and there's no way I'm missing it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spincut posted:

Interest post!!

Is the 6-10 advancement in addition to our 5 levels, or replaces one of the 1-5 advancements we'd take?

It's one of your 5 levels.

Poison Mushroom posted:

I've never seen a DW game start at a mid-level point. And run by Tollymain, no less.

This should be a glorious, phone-posted trainwreck, and there's no way I'm missing it.

I have internet again, and am planning on doing it through Skype/Roll20 :eng101:
And I've run DW before. Though it ended in me crashing and burning so um :eng99:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If anybody's wondering why I'm starting it at mid-level, it's because I'm super impatient and want people to be supercool at the start instead of waiting. Also because I don't know if the game will even go for long enough to allow much advancement.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I'll make something for this.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Somebody sent me a PM asking for more information on the setting and whether normal DW fare like elves/dwarves/druids/barbarians/etc were appropriate and if I didn't mind complete newbies applying. I was going to answer the PM directly but then I decided to post the answer in this thread instead.

quote:

Go ahead and :justpost:, I'm not going to turn people away simply because they've never played :v:

I don't know how much Spelljammer is like Borderlands or Eberron, so I can't really answer if it's in that vein. How familiar are you with those settings? The high fantasy part is certainly out. Think "darkly comedic cynical sci fi low fantasy pulp", I guess? That's kind of a mouthful.

Elves, dwarves, barbarians, druids, I don't see any reason to flatly exclude anything like that. At the same time, the base concepts for lot of playbooks and archetypes need to be tweaked to fit the aesthetic.

The world it's set in is basically a failed colony that once looked to have amazing potential. Something called the Great Undoing hosed up a ton of the infrastructure and ecology and most of the population while it was at it. In the years since, the survivors have basically been scrabbling out an existence on a now much more hostile world. The most common life goal people have is "get off this godsforsaken rock". Hardly any ships come by, though. Outside goods and mail are kind of scarce, and passage offworld is expensive as gently caress.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dibs on the old world marginalized native/barbarian/alien who prefers it this way, and thrives on this environment.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cat alien, lizard alien, or bug alien? by the rules of science fiction you have to choose one :v:

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh, I missed the Skype/Roll20 part. Do you have a schedule that you'd like to play? Time zone?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Keep reading that sentence :v:

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Hurf. Okay, that should be doable, I think.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Don't worry, Tollymain. Unlike some people, I read what you wrote. I'm just stupidly slow on putting a character together because I'm lazy.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm not bothered spincut, i just found it really funny

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

djw175 posted:

Don't worry, Tollymain. Unlike some people, I read what you wrote. I'm just lazy.
What DJ said, but this.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:v:

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

I'm thinking a Golem, Lantern, or Mechanic, by the way.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I was explicitly thinking a Golem.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Okay, I'll put up a Lantern soon then.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Zero

Around Last Sanctuary, creatures of metal roam around doing odd tasks. They're patchwork golems held together by scraps of metal welded to them. That is why the discovery of a golem that was immaculate looking was so surprising. It seemed to be the pinnacle of golem technology, but it couldn't recall anything about its past. Thus, it was designated Omega Zero.

Why are you signing up for this expedition? What makes you clearly the best candidate for this salvage crew?
When Serra Station approached, something resonated inside Zero. She knew it had something to do with her past. She's also a being that can take hits and follow orders, so she's pretty good in a team.

What rumors have you heard about what the Station was being used for before the Great Undoing?
If Zero really did come Serra Station in some way, there must have been more like her. Maybe she really was the pinnacle of their technology. Or maybe she was the lowliest golem there and everything else was at such a level above, it couldn't be fathomed by most people.

Unfortunately, if the Great Undoing had killed everyone on the Station, the golems would likely be running wild, not having had a small amount of humans around to get orders from like Zero did. Or perhaps one golem came ahead and started giving orders to other golems.

quote:

Ancient Mechanism, Designation Omega Zero
Level 5 Golem

Damage: d8
Armor: 3
HP: 22/22

Stats:
12 STR +0
18 DEX +3
16 CON +2
08 INT -1
09 WIS +0
13 CHA +1

Drive: Fulfill the Directive - Successfully advance the agenda of those who control you
Composition: Liquid - (Force stat: DEX) You are made of something amorphous, like water, clouds, or fabrics. Your body is incredibly flexible, and you can squeeze through gaps of any size.
Also: Solid - You are made of something solid, like iron, stone, or crystal. Your body is incredibly difficult to harm, giving you 2 Armor

Starting Moves
Built For Battle
⃞ Caustic - Your body has the Piercing 2 tag
⃞ Armored - Your body has +1 Armor
⃞ Flexible - Your body has the Precise tag

Eternal Sentinel
You do not need to eat, drink, or sleep. When a move tells you to mark rations, ignore it. You cannot be healed by healing potions, bandages, or poultices and herbs. You are healed normally by other methods. 1 use of a repair kit can be used to heal you by 4 HP.

Prime Directive
When someone you have a bond with gives you an order, you take +1 forward to fulfill that order. When you take an action that ignores, resists, or directly contradicts an order given to you by someone you have a bond with, take -1 to that action. When someone you have a bond with gives you an order you absolutely refuse to follow, at any time before the order has been fulfilled, you may erase one of your bonds with that player to ignore that order completely.

Unstoppable Force
When you try to remove or plow through all obstacles in your way, roll +Force. On a 10+, hold three. On a 7-9, hold two. On a 6-, hold 1, but when you spend it, the GM will add a complication. Spend 1-hold at any time to do one of the following:
• Force your way past an obstacle in your path
• Distract, lift, or force aside an obstacle long enough for an ally or two to get past it
• Cause great damage to an inanimate object or obstacle that is in your way

Mechanical Suit
Energy Cannon: Near, Piercing 2, 2 ammo. When you Make Camp, restock 2-ammo
Jumper: Jump incredible heights, and take no damage from controlled falls.
Sensors: When you Discern Realities in your suit, ask one additional question, even on a 6-

Advanced Moves
We Can Rebuild Her

You have 3 Built for Battle options selected at all times. When you spend a few minutes of time and safety altering your body, you may trade one of your Built for Battle options for a different one.

Flexible Composition
Choose a second Composition option. You gain the move associated withthat Composition. You do not gain the associated Force stat.

Iron Dabbler
Gain any move from the Survivor or Mechanicclass list. If you take the Mechanic's Mechanical Suit move, you do not gain the full move. Instead, choose a Primary Weapon, Movement Method, and Advanced System from the Mechanical Suit list. The chosen abilities apply to you directly

Emotions I Don't Understand
When you Defend someone you have a Bond with, you may roll +Force instead of +CON

We Have The Technology
You have 3 Built for Battle options selected at all times. Whenever you make a move, you may trade one of your Built for Battle options for a different one. In addition, add this option to the Built for Battle list:
⃞ Explosive - your body gains the Area tag

Gear
- A scrap of metal she was gripping when she was found (A personal keepsake you hold dear) (0 weight)
Load 0/10

Bonds
_____________ helped make me who I am today.
I care deeply about _____________ .
My creator says I must aid _____________ .
_____________ has some kind of control over me.

djw175 fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 22, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ganesha
"The Great Undoing," Ganesha scoffs at the term, and the twisted metal wreckage around her, towering over the scavengers picking the bones of another fallen technological wonder. "You talk about this as if it was some unexpected tragedy. But when you build your towers higher and higher, with no regard for the pressure it puts on the base..." She spits, and turns her eyes upward, to Serra Station, still hanging there tauntingly before her. "What else can you expect?"

It's simple enough to get people to move out of her way, the newcomers to the planet have long ago learned that the Dasavatara, as they insist on calling her people, are not to be trifled with. But even with the fear in their eyes and their hearts, it took more than a bit of persuading to get them to bring her along. They told her that it was the greatest military base to ever take to the skies of the planet, that it's filled with weapons and sciences that were barely understood even before the Great Undoing. They even told her that those defenses have gone rogue, and then expected it to dissuade her.

"I will put down the beast your people have set rabid. I will prove, to myself, to my people, and to whoever among yours are wise enough to listen, that there is more to a warrior than her weapons." Ganesha cracks her knuckles, grinning grimly as the citadel floats ever closer. "I will show you how my people tamed this world, and why you shall never be more than tolerated pests on it."

quote:

Ganasha of the South
Level 5 Gladiator

Damage: d10
Armor: 2
HP: 23/23

Stats
18 STR (+3)
13 DEX (+1)
13 CON (+1)
09 INT (+0)
09 WIS (+0)
16 CHA (+2)

Drive: The Old Ways Are Not Dead - Prove yourself against a more technologically-advanced opponent.
Race: Ogre Dasavatara - When you are mobbed by smaller enemies, you have +1 armor.

Bonds
Syras would be dead if it weren't for me.
Zero bet against me once. Once.

Starting Moves
Arsenal
Years of fighting unpredictable foes in the arena have taught you to be prepared for just about anything. In addition to whatever primary weapons you carry, you’re loaded down with lethal oddments: bone darts, obsidian knives, razor-edged gloves, whatever. Your arsenal is abstract, disposable, not really a “thing.” When you go into battle fully equipped, you have 2-arsenal. You can have a maximum of 3-arsenal at any time.

Choose a look for your arsenal:
⃞ Savage

Right Tool for the Job
At any time you can spend your arsenal, one-for-one, on the following effects.
• Add a weapon tag from the list or any range tag to your weapon for one move. (The Range tags are: Hand, Close, Reach, Near, Far)
• Reroll a damage die, taking the higher result.

Weapon Tags
• +1 Armor: You gain +1 armor.
• +1d4 damage: You deal +1d4 damage.
• Forceful: It knocks someone back a pace, possibly off their feet.
• Messy: Damage from this weapon tears people and things apart.
• 2 Piercing: Ignore 2 points of armor.
• Precise: Roll +DEX instead of +STR with Hack & Slash.
• Stun: The weapon deals stun damage instead of normal damage.
• Thrown: You can Volley with this weapon. If you do, you can't choose to mark ammo on a 7-9 result, and the weapon is lost until you can retrieve it.

He's Not Using It Anymore
When you kill an armed enemy, gain 1-arsenal.

Are You Not Entertained? (CHA)
When you grandstand for the benefit of anyone watching, roll+Cha. On a 10+, take +1 ongoing until you roll a 6- on a move or your audience leaves. On a 7-9, take +1 forward instead.

Advanced Moves
Armed to the Teeth
When you go into battle fully equipped,you have 3-arsenal.

Armor Expert
You ignore the Clumsy tag on armor you wear.

Better a Broken Sword than a Broken Skull
When you take damage, you may spend 1-Arsenal to negate it completely. This move reduces your maximum Arsenal by one until the end of the fight.

I'll Have That
When you try to disarm a foe, roll+STR. On a 10+, he’s disarmed and you gain 1-arsenal. On a 7-9, he’s disarmed, but his weapon’s way over there. You can go get it, and gain that 1-arsenal, but you’ll have to expose yourself to danger to do it.

Never Unarmed
When you go into battle completely unprepared, you still have 1-arsenal.

Gear (Load: 10/13)
Piecemeal Metal Armor (2 armor, clumsy, 3 weight)
"The Impaler" (close, 2-piercing, messy, 2 weight)
Throwing Hammers (near, forceful, 2 weight), 3 ammo
Forearm Blade (hand, +1 armor, messy, 2 weight)
Punching Dagger (hand, +2 damage, 1 weight)
3 healing potions (0 weight)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 25, 2014

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Syras
There are still mysteries in this world, it seems. A few years ago, a small cult devoted to the sun goddess Sola was discovered. Though it was thought that worship of Sola had ceased once humanity began to explore the stars, this cult had persevered ever since then. Also, unlike other worshippers, these members seemed to wield true power derived from Sola herself.

This cult wished nothing more than to be left alone, but one of their number separated from the rest and joined civilization at large. Why he did so was unknown at the time. He began taking on mercenary work, bouncing from world to world to help others. It seems, however, that he was searching for something. And he believes he's found it.

Why are you signing up for this expedition? What makes you clearly the best candidate for this salvage crew?
I believe that a great Darkness lurks here in this broken husk. If true, I must destroy it. I am a Bringer of Light. It is my destiny to drown out the dark, and that is what I shall do.

They say it was an enormous vessel, part factory, part research station. The question is...what was being manufactured? And what drew the Darkness there?

The Darkness spreads its corruption and nothing is safe from it. It has the power to twist and mutate not only organic materials, but machinery and electronics as well. It will be very dangerous.

quote:

Syras, Light Champion
Level 5 Lantern

Damage: d6
Armor: 1
Health: 19/19

Stats:

8 STR (-1)
12 DEX (+0)
15 CON (+1)
18 INT (+3)
9 WIS (+0)
16 CHA (+2)

Drive: Enemy of Darkness - Take steps to destroy a place or creature of the shadows.
Source of Light: Gift from God - Sola gave his light to you personally, blessing your little light with excessive energy. Your Arrows of Light have Piercing 3, and your Shield of Light will still protect you while you lend it out.

Bonds:
I must show the truths of the world to Zero.
I don't think Ganesha is as fond of the light as I am.

Starting Moves:
Your Little Light (Named Mote)
You carry a piece of the great god Sola with you at all times. This glowing ball of light will generally float about wherever it wants, although it sticks around you and rests in a lantern you carry. It will usually obey your commands, but it is quite fickle and may require some convincing. Your little light cannot speak, but it can communicate to you by changing colors and point things out using beams of light. It will always provide light for you. Your little light cannot physically touch anything, and it cannot be harmed in any way.

Light Weaponry
When you command your little light to change its form, choose a form from below and it will take on that form until it thinks you need another one more. When you roll a 6- while your little light is in one of these forms, it reverts back to its harmless form and refuses to change back for a short while.
• Arrows of Light: Near, Mystical, Piercing 2. When you would spend Ammo with this weapon, instead reduce the Piercing value by 1 until the next time you Make Camp.
• Shield of Light: Armor +1. You can lend this armor bonus to anyone within Reach.

Bend Light (CHA)
When you convince natural lights to bend to your will, choose one and roll +CHA. On a 10+, the chosen effect works perfectly. On a 7-9, it works, but the light is fickle and the effect will not last long - you'll need to hurry to take advantage of it. On a 6-, the light is sick of being bossed around - the GM chooses one from the list and uses it against you!
• You command the light to attack - temporarily blind or stun a group within Near range
• You calm the light until it stays still - create a wall of light that blocks off one passageway
• You praise the light until it draws close - fill an area with light
• You terrify the light until it flees - shroud an area in darkness

Reveal the Way (CHA)
When you show a non-hostile NPC their best course of action, roll +CHA. On a 10+, they will take that course of action, although they will take it in the way that benefits them most. On a 7-9, they aren't sure it's something they want to do, but you have their ear now - you gain leverage over them.
When another player comes to you seeking advice, tell them what you think is their best course of action. If they act on your advice, they take +1 forward. At the end of the session, if at least one player who acted on your advice actually benefitted from it in the end, you mark XP.

Advanced Moves
Healing Light (INT)
When you stitch sunlight into a wound, roll +INT. On a 7+, they heal 1d8 HP. On a 10+, they are filled with energy, taking +1 forward. On a 6-, the sunlight is uncooperative - they take -1 forward from the searing pain.

Illuminated Warrior
You can have your little light take on the form of two of your Light Weaponry forms at the same time. You can lend out one of these forms to an ally, or you can wield them both simultaneously.

Rainbow Road
Add the following option to the Bend Light move:
• You convince the light to let you through - create a bridge to a location within Near range

Twilight Blade
Add the following form to the Light Weaponry move:
• Twilight Blade: Close, Ignores Armor, Mystical. This weapon will cut cleanly through anything - armor, stone, metal, water, anything. When you deal damage with this weapon, you may physically remove something from your target - something worn, something held, or some small part of them.

Twilight Reckoning
Requires: Twilight Blade
When you deal damage to a surprised, defenseless, or damaged enemy with your Twilight Blade, you may sever anything from the target - their life, their limb, their title, their relationship with someone, their most prized possession, their thoughts on a topic, anything. If you do, deal no damage.

Gear (Load 5/5)
Lightweave armor (1 armor, 1 weight)
Dungeon rations (5 uses, 1 weight)
Lantern (1 weight)
Bag of books (5 uses, 2 weight)

Spincut fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Sep 25, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, I think that's all the interest I'm gonna get. Assign bonds, I'll come up with a round of questions and get stuff ready for next monday evening. What are the best hours monday evening for you guys? I'm going to aim for a happy medium timeslot.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Seven ish, EST for me is probably best? I can do earlier or later though.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

I get home around 6:30 PST, so anytime after that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Bonds are up.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

As are mine!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ganesha, what brought the off-worlders to your planet? "Unclaimed" territory, rare resources, outside pressures? Did you grow up isolated from them or in close contact? What's something of theirs that you use regularly, and how do you feel about that?

Syras, what brought you to this failed backwater colony? Literally, who transported you here, and figuratively, why'd you decide that this particular world was where you needed to be? Which local factions tried to recruit you for their respective causes shortly after your arrival?

Zero, who found you? Why aren't they around anymore? Also, you learned quickly that most golems aren't as advanced as you physically or cognitively; but is your level of sapience unique?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Well poo poo. Something just came up. I can't make Fridays anymore. Sorry guys. :( And that was my only free day too.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, it was mondays to begin with, so :v:

Sad to see you go though. Oh well, duo adventures are the easiest adventures :shobon:

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
I meant Mondays, my mind is just focused on Fridays for some reason. PM can back me up that I made this mistake recently as well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

djw175 posted:

I meant Mondays, my mind is just focused on Fridays for some reason. PM can back me up that I made this mistake recently as well.
That happens.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:shrug:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One last question as well. On a scale of Eberron to Borderlands, where does your character sit tone-wise? :v:

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Mine is probably on the Eberron side. :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Very Borderlands, at least in personality.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I might be bringing on a friend at the last minute; his name's Hremsfeld, if either of you feel the need to stalk his posting :stalker:

btw why do we have a stalker emote

E:

:siren: Session start is tentatively 6:30 PST :siren:

Realistically I'm thinking it should actually be starting around 7 so Spincut can kick off his shoes and whatever first. Being that Poison is 3 hours ahead of us, I'm aiming for a 3 hour session at most.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Tollymain posted:

btw why do we have a stalker emote

SA.txt

Anyway, I'll try to grab food on the way home and then eat it obnoxiously over Skype so we don't have to wait for me to make something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well, i ended up spending the entire day in bed half-asleep trying not to exist, i'm terribly sorry folks. i guess answer the extra credit questions and i'll set an alarm next week late enough in the day i don't sleep it through :(

side note, friend changed mind, life is not conducive to them playing atm.

• Locked thread