Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
thank you, my various and numerous gods, for this truly legendary victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
At first I thought I would always be a Pune fan, but now I am instead a fan of the area where the poo poo flows

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Now that the dust has settled and everyone has had the chance to cheer or cry into the night, let's take a peek at the awards.

Firstly, Kolkata weren't the only winners, oh no, remember the Muthoot Fair Play Table?

Delhi Dynamos were the fairest of them all in the group stage and win a gigantic whistle trophy for their (lack of) trouble:

Note that it says 2014-15 when it's already over, excellent planning.

-----------------------

Next up, the Um Jammer Lammy Exciting Player, as voted for by you, the fan, was Luis Garcia!

Five Lakhs. He certainly didn't "Lakh" excitement!

-----------------------

The Amul Fittest Player Award was given at the end of every match to the fittest player, as chosen by Amul. The Fittest Player of the League was given to Jan Stohanzl of Mumbai City, who wasn't there to collect his oversized novelty cheque.

This fella was though, and he looks rather happy about it. Well done wherever you are, Jan!

-----------------------

Now, remember that Katsouranis goal vid with the cool graphics? Here it is again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzdaUuOQBEY

It happened to win the Goal of the League.

Nise Gel: Tough on pain, kind on deciding the best goal.

-----------------------

Who won the Golden Glove? David James? Nah.

In fact, James was so bad that not one, but TWO Kolkata keepers got in ahead of him. Well done to Jan Seda. There's no picture of him with a trophy or cheque, maybe he dropped them :iamafag:

-----------------------

The Golden Boot, as we already know, went to the legendary Elano.

That MINP, ooh. He was actually there to collect the award too:

Apparently he's donated his prize money to helping grassroots football in India, which is nice.

-----------------------

Finally, the Hero ISL needs a hero. Rafique may have been the hero of the final, but the overall hero?

Who else but Iain Hume. Captain, Leader, Hero.

-----------------------

Here's my own personal award for Most Appropriate Comparison:

-----------------------

There we have it. I'll give everyone a chance to post their thoughts and reactions before I give the thread a proper Christmas sendoff.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Elano really stepping up, doing good for the community, a proper deserving winner that unlike some others on the list or indeed the entire winning team. Looks like cheaters DO win sometimes after all!

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
the prizes are all under Ł5000 so i think a bunch of kids are getting some bibs and a few balls and thats it whilst Elano rides off in his solid gold rocket car laughing

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
i forgot all about um jammer lammy

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I can't remember what I was going to do so for now here's the Indivision Song Contest winner once more.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
The ISL is OFFICIALLY bigger than Serie A.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/dec/23/india-super-league-fourth-biggest-league

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Ever since the great Ganguly urged fans to support Atletico Kolkata, I knew I made the right choice

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Tidy little post-mortem and an encouraging one too. It feels good to have been part of something special from the very beginning, doesn't it? Imagine how big it'll be next year, look out Europe, here comes the ISL!

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Naturally we can't end without a credits sequence, so chuck this on repeat and let the credits roll.

Atlético de Kolkata
Chennaiyin FC
Delhi Dynamos FC
FC Goa
FC Pune City
Kerala Blasters FC
Mumbai City FC
Northeast United FC

Luis García
Elano
Alessandro Del Piero
Robert Pirčs
David James
Fredrik Ljungberg
Joan Capdevila
David Trezeguet
Diego Nadaya
Apoula Edel
Bruno Pelissari
Erwin
Guilherme Batata
Gustavo Marmentini
Pedro Gusmao
Saďdou Panandétiguiri
Iain Hume
Andrés González
Jairo Suárez
Luis Yanes
Omar Andrés Rodríguez
Jakub Podaný
Jan Šeda
Jan Štohanzl
Marek Čech
Miroslav Slepička
Pavel Eliáš
TomᚠJosl
Michael Chopra
Iván Bolado
Bernard Mendy
Cédric Hengbart
Gennaro Bracigliano
Raphaël Romey
Sylvain Monsoreau
Youness Bengelloun
Illias Polalis
André Preto
Edgar Marcelino
Henrique Dinis
Miguel Herlein
Grégory Arnolin
Massamba Sambou
Arnal
Bruno Herrero Arias
Cristian Hidalgo
Eduardo Silva
Jofre Mateu
Javier Fernández
Victor Herrero Forcada
Do Dong-hyun
Park Kwang-il
Bojan Djordjic
A Bunch Of Indians
Antonio López Habas
Marco Materazzi
Harm van Veldhoven
Zico
Peter Reid
Ricki Herbert
Franco Colomba

Fikru Teferra Lemessa - for scoring the first ever ISL goal, and for generally being one cool dude

David James - for playing while bankrupt and truly encapsulating the spirit of the whole thing

Peter Reid -

Elano - for showing why Manchester City were foolish to get rid of him, and for being a credit to The Big Yin

Mohammed Rafique - for scoring the winning goal in the final, and emulating the great Mario Götze. Rafique shall be forever remembered as the Indian Götze

Iain Hume - for being a Hero, nay THE Hero, and bringing pride to all Canadian people, and possibly one or two from Tranmere

And finally... YOU, the Something Awful forums user, for being a part of this magnificent adventure

India told us to Let's Football, and football was most definitely let'sed. I look forward to discussing the benefits for India that are clearly going to come of this in 2015, but for now, I bid you all farewell.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I footballed all year tbh

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
Thank you India... thank you

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small
you are all very welcome, you racist pricks

xbhaskarx
Jul 3, 2010

It's only natural in a period of transition for the more timid element to run for cover.

Good. I hope it continues to gain popularity because cricket bores me to tears.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

The ISL bug has already spread... to Bangladesh.

http://zeenews.india.com/sports/football/kolkata-sports-firm-plans-isl-style-league-in-bangladesh_1521737.html

quote:

A city-based sports event management company has put forth a proposal to the Bangladesh Football Federation (BFF) for organising a football league emulating the highly successful Indian Super League (ISL).

Media reports in Bangladesh said the company has proposed Argentine legend Diego Maradona as chairman of the league committee.

"I have very good relations with (Diego) Maradona, who visited India twice at my request. I requested him to be involved with our initiative," Goswami was quoted as saying by the leading Bangladesh newspaper the Daily Star.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Hamas Rodriguez posted:

you are all very welcome, you racist pricks

If pointing out that Indians poo poo in the streets is racist, well then I'm ISL superstar striker Nicolas Anelka.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
has anyone signed maldini yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

No idea, but here's an article about Nesta that mentions him.
http://www.sportskeeda.com/football/isl-what-alessandro-nesta-brings-to-chennaiyin-fc

Oh what could have been... There's always next year Yinnites, never forget that.

• Locked thread