Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I can't tell what the hell is going on in this movie. I think it's about a disabled girl and her brother going on a trip to a magical place called Tar, but I keep getting distracted by all the nudity and jazz music. Can anyone help me out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we1gfjkC1fE

What does all of this mean?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

It means you need to see "El Topo" and see some real hosed up poo poo. "Fando y Lis" is good, but it's got nothin on Jodorowsky's later films.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Fando Y Lis rules, and I was very appreciative that they put it in the Jodorowsky box set.

Has anyone seen The Dance of Reality yet?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Fando Y Lis rules, and I was very appreciative that they put it in the Jodorowsky box set.

Can someone explain this image?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What the hell is going on here?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dead Man Posting posted:

Can someone explain this image?

It's a little boy in Spain, playing pianos filled with flames.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The Dance of Reality is one of my favorites of the year so far, not quite El Topo/Holy Mountain/Santa Sangre quality but still very good.

I gotta be honest and say Fando Y Lis never did much for me but I probably owe it a rewatch.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Hell, yeah. Not to mention La Cravate and the scores to both El Topo and The Holy Mountain, which are so beautiful. (With mothafuckin' Don Cherry on the sax!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SYgjROXopg

The Jodorowsky Contellation is such a great documentary, too. That set was one of my wiser blind purchases.

I need The Dance of Reality in my life.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Fando y Lis is a chore to sit through. I guess there's worse debut films, but it does make El Topo all the more impressive as Jodorowsky's follow up. My favorite of his is The Holy Mountain, though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

K. Waste posted:

Hell, yeah. Not to mention La Cravate and the scores to both El Topo and The Holy Mountain, which are so beautiful. (With mothafuckin' Don Cherry on the sax!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SYgjROXopg

The Jodorowsky Contellation is such a great documentary, too. That set was one of my wiser blind purchases.

I need The Dance of Reality in my life.

All I knew about Jodorowsky before that set came out was a friend who was a big fan basically saing "Hey Neo Rasa you'd probably dig Jodorowsky since you like the Mad Max movies and westerns and stuff but you can't buy his stuff here because producers are assholes." A few years later I bought that box set blind the day it came out and was basically blown away.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 246 days!

Dead Man Posting posted:

What the hell is going on here?

This is one of those weird situations where things are less confusing the more acid you're on.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Listening to the audio commentaries for his movies is fascinating, because no matter how eccentric he has an explanation for every single thing in his movies. It almost ruins the films because it leaves nothing to the imagination.

One thing I like in "The Holy Mountain" is the allusion to Artaud's "The Conquest of Mexico." I think the "secret lyricism" Artaud briefly discusses must have been particularly influential on Jodorowsky, except that while Artaud was referring mostly to lighting, Jodorowsky expands this lyricism to every facet of his film.

Also, one of the greatest film lines (of many in his films): "But!... Is this reality? No! It is a film. Zoom back camera!"

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 19, 2014

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Fando y Lis is awesome. Welcome to Jodorowsky!

IMDb posted:

When the film premiered at the 1968 Acapulco Film Festival, the first screening erupted into a riot. Director Alejandro Jodorowsky had to leave the theatre by sneaking outside to a waiting limousine. When the crowd outside the theatre recognized him, the car was pelted with rocks. The following week, the film opened to sell-out crowds in Mexico City, but fights broke out in the audiences and the film was banned by the Mexican government. Jodorowsky himself was nearly deported and the scandal provided a lot of fodder for the Mexican newspapers.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I saw it a few months ago, it was definitely a Jodorowsky movie. I enjoyed it and I am very glad my dad didn't tag along as he had originally planned to do.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Listening to the audio commentaries for his movies is fascinating, because no matter how eccentric he has an explanation for every single thing in his movies. It almost ruins the films because it leaves nothing to the imagination.

One thing I like in "The Holy Mountain" is the allusion to Artaud's "The Conquest of Mexico." I think the "secret lyricism" Artaud briefly discusses must have been particularly influential on Jodorowsky, except that while Artaud was referring mostly to lighting, Jodorowsky expands this lyricism to every facet of his film.

Also, one of the greatest film lines (of many in his films): "But!... Is this reality? No! It is a film. Zoom back camera!"

I feel like you should put that in spoilers. My favorite ending to a film probably ever.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 19, 2014

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I feel like you should put that in spoilers. My favorite ending to a film probably ever.

Done. Non-spoilery, equally awesome quote: "We are working on a drug that creates delusions of grandeur."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Done. Non-spoilery, equally awesome quote: "We are working on a drug that creates delusions of grandeur."

Another drug turns harmless people into wild beasts.

• Locked thread