Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Sister M. Benedicta

"By no means, foul creature, is the Orb yours."

The priestess raises her weapon, and a sound rings out, the Goblin no worse for wear. The shot goes horribly wide.

"Obviously this awful beast is protected by some horrible demon!"

Shoot 2d6 3
Challenge gains 1 Difficulty Point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013

Temriloquistoliorium "Tem" Magicsword
Traits: Swordplay, Lightning, Portal, Wisdom, Resilient
Difficulty Points: 5/125

"Oh, bother," Tem sighs, drawing a line in the air with his finger this time. "Just give me the damned thing." A small portal opens in front of his hand, leading to just above the goblin's hand clutching the orb.

He attempts to reach through the portal and grab it from the creature, but unfortunately the demonic forces protecting the wretch snap the portal shut. Tem only just pulls his hand back before the collapsing portal shears it right off; he does lose the tip of a finger, though. "Agh! My fingerprints were on there!"

I'll take that (or not).: 2d6 7

The Challenge gains 4 Difficulty Points to spend. -2 to Portal's Minimum. -1 VP.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
John Everyman, Human

"LOOK OUT!" John shouts at everyone assembled, Goblin included, as he charges forward and dives for cover as the explosions continue behind them, all the while getting closer and closer.

Failed on a 4! Challenge gains 5 difficulty points.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
John Everyman's explosion destroys two important pillars. The temple is collapsing! Stones are raining down upon your heads while the goblin laughs!

Temriloquistoliorium: 7 Difficulty Points
John Everyman: 6 Difficulty Points
Sister M. Benedicta: 4 Difficulty Points

Party: 15 Value Points.

Challenge: 3 Value Points, 9 Difficulty Points

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 28, 2014

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013

Difficulty Points: 7/125

"Oh for the love of--" Tem grumbles, grabbing a splinter from the shattered door frame. "Maybe with a focus, this will work better," he muses, sketching what looks like a series of interlocking circles swiftly in the air before him. The old wizard's hands are surprisingly nimble in spite of all the arthritic knobs on his joints.

Four portals spring into existence, air peeling and falling away from its rightful place to reveal a different place beyond. One large portal appears above the party's heads, and the exploding, collapsing roof falls into it. Another portal opens next to the goblin, and that same collection of stone and fire slams into its side with brutal velocity.

A second, smaller portal opens up on the opposite side of the goblin, just next to its hand. As the crush of rocks shoves the monster to the right, its hand holding the globe falls into the portal on that side...

And pops out of the portal above Tem's waiting free hand, globe and all.

Tem dusts off his jacket and shakes the severed goblin hand off the globe. "What a mess," he sighs. "This suit is ruined."

Momentum trick: 2d6 6
Capture 4 Value Points. +2 to Portal's Minimum. Spend 1 VP.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Sister M. Benedicta

Of course, it was not some horrible devilry protecting the Goblin; it was the Orb itself! How blind she was being, and many prayers would be sent for wisdom in the future.

With that, the clergywoman whispers a prayer into the vessel of her absolution.

At All Costs Shoot; skip.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
John Everyman, Human

John looks up and blinks as the ceiling starts to collapse. "We...uh, we should leave! We have the orb, right? Time to go!"

He moves hurriedly towards the doorway, looking nervously back at the others.

Sorry for the delay. We grabbed all the value points now, didn't we?

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Yes, but unless I understand incorrectly you need to clear all the difficulty points before you can close the scene?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Correct, the difficulty points must be cleared. You may have achieved your goal but that doesn't mean things aren't still going terribly wrong!

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013

Difficulty Points: 7/125

Tem attempts to reclaim his troublesome walking stick as he hustles out of the collapsing temple. That trick with the portals will only gain the party a few more moments at most. "Let's go already!" he rasps, reaching out for Hieronymus where it lies on the ground. Unfortunately he just kicks it further away. "You damned sword!"

Grabbing for the sword: 2d6 4

I guess his magic sword is gone now?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Hmmm, think I'm gonna call it here. The system (namely its problems) are showing to me, so I got some good data. Ya'll have any comments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whycalibur
Oct 17, 2013
I think you've got a fun idea here, and I like that the system is flexible. Some of the traits probably need to be revisited, but hopefully this playtest gave you some useful data there. The value points/difficulty points seems neat but should probably be clarified in the initial rules-- how VP are shared, how DP affect encounters/add to their VP (kind of like THP I guess?), and so on. All in all I enjoyed the experience! Thanks.

• Locked thread