Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
SI prefixes ftw?
si units, yay!
computers, yay!
1KiB is 1024 bytes
1kB is 1000 bytes
1KB is 1024 bytes
9-bit bytes
i have 16 fingers
terabel!
gigawatts
decadence
gibbisbyte
View Results

• Locked thread
suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
si units are cool with how you can say really big things, like a megameter, and also really small things, like a nanometer, and its nbd and you don't have to learn weird units like arctangents and lindstrõms

then computers came and for ram and files they kind of used si units, but with different numbers, so in computrespeak a kiloram is 1024 rams.
of course this made a lot of users complain when their "1GB" files weren't actually 109 bytes.

but luckily someone made the binary prefixes, so now you can say a "gibibyte" (GiB) and there's no confusion
it sounds a bit strange, but so do the si prefixes. i mean seriously, "yotta", who came up with that one?

i think this is great and when we convert to metric bytes 7kb/s will finally == 0.7kB/s, but apparently some people still think that mega should mean different numbers for different things, like idk maybe a megaweed would mean 420 weeds, so i made this thread so we could discuss and decide this once and for all, thanks for reading!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
well gently caress, what happened to my checkboxes :(

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
SI prefixes are dumb, like this thread

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
oh, well, may the best option win!

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
People are able to count to 1023 using just their fingers. Because 10 fingers and binary.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
SI prefixes are dumb

france is dumb

the op is dumb

i'm dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?