Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Irisi posted:

Yay! Here's hoping it's for the 3DS, it's translated to English ASAP and it's as goshdarn adorable and fun as this one is.

For as adorable and cute as the game is, I was really expecting disingenuous and cloying dialogue befitting a Pokemon game. But, it really hasn't been that bad. I've gotten kind of used to, and enjoyed the butterfly's wiseassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

5er posted:

For as adorable and cute as the game is, I was really expecting disingenuous and cloying dialogue befitting a Pokemon game. But, it really hasn't been that bad. I've gotten kind of used to, and enjoyed the butterfly's wiseassing.

The localization is pretty fantastic in this game. Any game that includes "You can call me Uncle, if that helps!" "It really doesn't." is okay in my book.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Kin posted:

Interesting. Hopefully they do something with the save file stored on the cart.

Like maybe you inherit some special items or something.

I'd also love it if they expanded the jobs a little, maybe add in a farming life (different regions have different lands that produce different crops) that's a bit more like harvest moon or something.

Oh and expand the property system. Give me a home with multiple floors I can expand and upgrade and add shops/work benches to our something. Maybe with a tree planting garden and an expandable mine so that materials can be easily harvested.

Or let me be a king or something and let me build up a town into a kingdom like little kings story on the wii :D

I'm with all of these ideas here.

I desperately hope they expand the crafting 'game.' To its credit, if one profession had the current game as a throwback, it'd be all right. But the one thing that drew me into Fantasy Life was hearing "Every life is a game unto itself!" I thought, "FINALLY. A game company realized, in the age of mobile apps, Angry birds and Candy Crush, mining and crafting and fishing can all be mini-games! Tetris-level games all unto themselves, quick, fun, and NOT just gathering poo poo and pressing a button!" Then we got walking up to nodes and pressing a button (although they gamed it up a bit and I did enjoy 'Boss' Trees and minerals) and a crafting game! The same one. Which is still pressing buttons but with a flourish.

And as much as I enjoy this type of fishing in games like this and Animal Crossing, won't somebody bring back the Gameboy Zelda/ Breath of Fire 2 fishing game? Those were fun!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Hey kids, you ready for more Fantasy Life? Well get out your smart phones because:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
:negative:

This is the worst surprise.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

TurnipFritter posted:

Hey kids, you ready for more Fantasy Life? Well get out your smart phones because:

Japan, I am dying. Why are you killing me?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

Japan, I am dying. Why are you killing me?

f2p sequels to real games actually generate revenue from your sadness.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

This.

So how will gathering apples from trees be monetized? Or will they go "conservative" and only require you to wait an hour for the apple tree to fill back up!

(I am at the point with mobile games that I hope it's got a price tag, even a pumped-up Squenix one. At least then there will be hope of a videogame, just on a phone, and not Final Candy Fantasy Saga)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
HINT: If you match 3 napdragons you get a screen clear.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

TurnipFritter posted:

gently caress everything about this.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

TurnipFritter posted:

loving. gently caress :negative:

I'll probably download it anyway, if it comes out over here on Android.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
It's cool how they're releasing it in 2016, but you can tell from the picture that not only is the gameplay finalized, but you have probably already played it in some form or another

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Of course let's not actually show the gameplay screenshot.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wow...I was actually saddened by this announcement. It even has the look of a Clash of Clans-esque game. What a frustrating series to be a fan of...

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I can't think of a faster way to get me to drop this series.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If there's a big enough backlash I'm sure they'll port it to 3DS. :suicide:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.l5-dash.jp/fl2/

Here's the full site. Unfortunately all the text is in the image so I can't Google translate anything.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Dehry posted:

https://www.l5-dash.jp/fl2/

Here's the full site. Unfortunately all the text is in the image so I can't Google translate anything.

It doesn't say much, but it does absolutely confirm at the bottom that it's a F2P-microtransaction model. The microtransactions are for "Items" but what that is isn't specified. Also Japanese microtransactions are about an order of magnitude more obnoxious than in NA so expect it to be mobile Dungeon Keeper-levels of bad.

Also confirmed is that it has the exact same 12 jobs (doesn't look like any new ones) and at least some of the exact same areas as the first Fantasy Life. There's a screenshot with a "field" select that has a list of the same starting areas from FL1. The listed plot seems pretty similar to FL1's only with a F2P-veneer on it--"grant peoples' wishes to expand your town!"

Gonna pass on this one I think.

Scratch-O posted:

It's cool how they're releasing it in 2016, but you can tell from the picture that not only is the gameplay finalized, but you have probably already played it in some form or another

It actually says summer '15 in the screenshots. It's probably already done.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah with all the re-used assets and jobs it apparently has why even call it "Fantasy Life 2" instead of "Fantasy Life: On the Go" or something?

Level-5's Layton phone game was actually amazing though so surely there's a chance this will be fun and good and not just total poo poo.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

It's probably going to be an exact clone of FL1 with a f2p model, and it's going to make a shitload of money. Nothing is good, everything is bad, etc.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Genpei Turtle posted:

It doesn't say much, but it does absolutely confirm at the bottom that it's a F2P-microtransaction model. The microtransactions are for "Items" but what that is isn't specified. Also Japanese microtransactions are about an order of magnitude more obnoxious than in NA so expect it to be mobile Dungeon Keeper-levels of bad.

Also confirmed is that it has the exact same 12 jobs (doesn't look like any new ones) and at least some of the exact same areas as the first Fantasy Life. There's a screenshot with a "field" select that has a list of the same starting areas from FL1. The listed plot seems pretty similar to FL1's only with a F2P-veneer on it--"grant peoples' wishes to expand your town!"

Gonna pass on this one I think.

It actually says summer '15 in the screenshots. It's probably already done.

Based on the town screenshot and pattern recognition, the microtransaction item are the diamond looking things in the top right hand corner, which will be used for gacha machine tries for ingame items and/or revival if you lose all your HP.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Emron posted:

It's probably going to be an exact clone of FL1 with a f2p model, and it's going to make a shitload of money. Nothing is good, everything is bad, etc.

I will now move on to hoping this will fund Dark Cloud 3 so it can finally come out. AhahahaAHAHAHA yes my dreams are real and attainable

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
My, what a fast turnaround from "Most charming game in years" to "Candy Crush Saga evil."

It makes sense financially and all, but goddamn. Too bad they couldn't have made this mobile thing an offshoot and just kicked the real sequel back a bit. Wouldn't have minded waiting.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Watch it focus on "town building" instead of anything that made the first game great.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
FL1 chat: Will the Napdragon come back if I kill it? It looks so snoozy and cute. :ohdear:

I honestly don't mind mobile games as long as they are done well. (not All the Bravest) But this is just sad.

Violet_Sky fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 18, 2015

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Violet_Sky posted:

FL1 chat: Will the Napdragon come back if I kill it? It looks so snoozy and cute. :ohdear:

I honestly don't mind mobile games as long as they are done well. (not All the Bravest) But this is just sad.

Yep, like any unique monster, it'll come back after you sleep.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Just picked up this game yesterday and started as a Blacksmith. I'm liking how things are going so far, and how everyone in the town seems to be connected. How easy is it to switch "lives" on the fly? If I learn blacksmith skills and switch to a different Life, will I still be able to do blacksmith stuff without switching back?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

mabels big day posted:

Just picked up this game yesterday and started as a Blacksmith. I'm liking how things are going so far, and how everyone in the town seems to be connected. How easy is it to switch "lives" on the fly? If I learn blacksmith skills and switch to a different Life, will I still be able to do blacksmith stuff without switching back?

You'll still be able to do blacksmith stuff, but you won't get the stat boosts or be able to use your special blacksmith skills, so in practice it's generally best to switch unless you just need to craft some quick materials for another item.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Yeah, there's a reason the guild office is one of the quick travel options. Generally when you want to craft something, it's easiest to just travel to the guild office, switch jobs, then travel to your job master. They're always near the crafting area, so it's not that big of a hassle.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think i'll just make a quick switch to miner for a while so I can get some materials easier for blacksmithing, which is my real passion

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
I'd recommend doing up mining first, then woodcutting. Blacksmithing will need wooden beams from Carpentry (unless you buy them, which IS always profitable :D) but that lets you chop down trees while out mining.

I'm just realizing why F2P B2W (potentially) Fantasy Life 2 is such a let-down: this game scratches every horrible grinding itch MMOs gave me while also having sane options. You can grab every item on the ground and never buy a single material, and craft all your own poo poo, or you can just mine and blacksmith and (for a huge chunk of the game) buy carpenter beams and cloth. I was excited to see where they took it with a sequel.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

mabels big day posted:

I think i'll just make a quick switch to miner for a while so I can get some materials easier for blacksmithing, which is my real passion

It's worth it to unlock every life as soon as possible. Unlocking all the combat classes lets you double dip when you're going to be fighting stuff anyways, because a lot of the kill requirements don't require you to be that life. Getting Miner and Woodcutter unlocked early is also good, because to max them out you have to harvest, I believe, 400 mine spots and 500 trees. Those can be done as a different life as well.

Paladin was the safest combat class when you don't have people following with you, but Hunter was the easiest to max out. If you have the DLC, you WANT Hunter maxed out, because Fern is hands down the most useful buddy. She is just a non-stop stun machine, which you really, really need for some of the higher level materials. Also the DLC is worth having early, since it lets you build up friendship levels with people. Friends also like it when you're the same life as them when you're running around.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I don't know anything about the dlc in this game and I don't plan on buying it, but I can be persuaded otherwise.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

mabels big day posted:

I don't know anything about the dlc in this game and I don't plan on buying it, but I can be persuaded otherwise.

The DLC's basically an expansion pack. It raises the caps for every job, and adds on an additional story area after you finish the main plot. (It also introduces more hairstyles and pets). I haven't actually beaten the main story yet, so I can't personally vouch for it, but if you beat the game and you still want more Fantasy Life, it's there for you. :v:

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

mabels big day posted:

Yeah, you get extra levels to aim for in your Life classes, get to play around in a pretty charming new area, and best of all, there's a giant and terrible tower to travel through on a regular basis, beating up horrible beasties and getting new and rare treasures. Plus, you can fight 'em with Celestia.

It's good fun, well worth the £6 I paid for it.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I have sorta always had a knack to play this game and with this being on the e3 Eshop sale I went and plunked down the 27.99. I'm hoping this scratches a bit of my animal crossing / zelda itch.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Picked this game back up. Gosh the localization is great. Also crafting is fun but frustrating. I just wanna make everything~~~

BIG BIC SQUAD
Jan 24, 2015
Does anyone still play this game? :gonk: I just bought it a couple days ago and I've already spent 70 hours of my life on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

BIG BIC SQUAD posted:

Does anyone still play this game? :gonk: I just bought it a couple days ago and I've already spent 70 hours of my life on it

Don't worry, you'll sink more of your life into it. Way more.

How far are you? A lot of time is definitely spent leveling up jobs and doing whatever suits your whimsy versus actually proceeding with plot. For example, trying to level up tailor to unlock the next outfits...

• Locked thread