Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win season 25?
This poll is closed.
#SoulSurfers 8 15.09%
#TeamNashville 1 1.89%
#TheWrestlers 9 16.98%
#TheDatingCouple 1 1.89%
#TheCyclists 2 3.77%
#MiamiRealtors 1 1.89%
#MomDaughter 3 5.66%
#TheFirefighters 6 11.32%
#SweetScientists 9 16.98%
#CollegeSweethearts 5 9.43%
#TheDentists 8 15.09%
Total: 53 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
What a horrifyingly dumb last couple of episodes. I wish anyone other than the boring girls who never won anything and should've been eliminated had ended up winning. Why would they not have the extra task for the losers that were saved on the finale? That's the one time that it would've really mattered.

edit - when was that poll made and closed? If it was at the beginning of the season, it's amazing that the top 4 teams, by a large margin, were the final 4 teams.

edit edit - I miss Mike White and his dad. I'm sure most people haven't seen Chuck and Buck, but that made the entire time he was on so surreal to me.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

mancalamania posted:

If the Save was used there would have needed to be an extra elimination somewhere, presumably in the penultimate leg.

If the save was used the non-elim leg the wrestlers were not eliminated on would have been an elimination leg.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
It wasn't a bad ending, unlike last season, Christ that one was awful.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
That was a perfectly fine finale. The only way to elevate it to amazing would be if the wrestlers, instead of getting lost, were eliminated by managing not to find a taxi. Ideally with a taxi stand literally in sight.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I loved the ending, but then I love when the only leg a team wins is the one that matters most. I did like Brooke and Robbie being visibly less than ecstatic that the Scientists won at the finish line though, like they wouldn't have completely come unglued at the container task.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

njsykora posted:

I did like Brooke and Robbie being visibly less than ecstatic that the Scientists won at the finish line though, like they wouldn't have completely come unglued at the container task.

Yeah, not having to watch Brooke walk around whining "Oh my GOD, oh my GOD, I don't know what to do, what do we do?!?!" was pretty drat nice.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The couple of times that Brooke really seemed to enjoy a task she was doing well at partially won me over to their team (I'm thinking the go kart race and I forget at least one other instance in the last couple of episodes), but all that is swept away at how she instantly whines about how everything is not fair the instant something starts going badly.

Scientists were my original rooting interest but yeah they were kind of boring down the stretch, so I'm mainly glad creepy Dentist team didn't win although I don't really hate them with the intensity of a thousand burning suns. If this season didn't have the Save I would have been much more okay with them.

Overall I thought the season was decent with a lot of tough challenges with serious failure potential. The finale was just okay, I do like it when there's something like a memory challenge that just wrecks people and you can actually see the time of day change from day to night or night to day during the challenge like with those U.N. flags when the Beekman boys won. Just the sheer brutality of having to gut it out for hours and come up with a good system and not freak out.

I'm still mad at the cyclists for that dumb move to go after the surfing fast forward. Not just because of the way it worked out, but it was just a dumb decision, they were in first, to go for the FF in that instance is to say you don't have confidence that you won't come in last and be eliminated despite starting the leg in first. As it was, the challenges in that leg would have easily preserved their position, worst case they would have come in second because of the FF by the surfers. The most important thing (as the Food Scientists showed this season) is just NOT TO GET ELIMINATED before the final leg, coming in first is bullshit before then. Yeah it would be nice to get at least one prize in cast you don't win the race, but the cyclists had already won one or two legs, so it was just a dumb move and they paid the price. I also agree that for them to kind of be catty to the other racers and make themselves a target was dumb and wholly unnecessary.

The business of being a target isn't huge like in Survivor but it does play an element, both with people being helpful to you in general and especially with U-turns. When you consider U-turns the benefits the Dentists got from the Save become even bigger because it effectively removed them as a U-turn target as well since it would be a waste of a U-turn. So not only do they not get eliminated with the Save but they also get assurance that they can convince any allied teams to focus U-turns on one of their main rivals.

I still kind of like my idea where you can win something like a save or express pass but you can't use it yourself, you can only give it to another team of your choosing (for THEM to use at their discretion) so they can have incentive to help you if you are in a jam and failing a task.

moregontrail
Mar 31, 2005
I drink alone, George Thorogood style
Not a fan of the ending. I think non-elim legs should be done away with. I would be fine with a two day finale if there was no equalizer. The whole episode boiled down to the crate challenge.

There should be 2 or 3 challenges that allow for make up time. That is two horrible final legs in a row.

I'm just glad I never have to watch the white scientist run again. Injury or not she has the worst running form of all time. All loving elbows

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

The dating couples race could either be the greatest thing in history or horrible shrieking awfulness. Theres no inbetween.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

LionYeti posted:

The dating couples race could either be the greatest thing in history or horrible shrieking awfulness. Theres no inbetween.

As a fan of MTV's The Challenge, horrible shrieking awfulness IS the greatest thing ever.

(PS If you want "awkward", two people on the upcoming season of that are now dead)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Andorra posted:

After the insane memory challenge in Season 12, this might be the hardest one. I know I'd never be able to do it.

That was my first season, and wow was that a tremendous final roadblock. Everything since then is a disappointment in comparison.

For those who haven't seen it, the racers were given fifteen different items. These items ranged from small things to people wandering around. They had to solve a logic puzzle. Here, I'll let Wikipedia explain:

"In this season's final Roadblock, one team member had to face a field of objects they encountered along the race course. Each team was given fifteen recognizable items from different legs of the race. They had to place on a stage ten specific items that matched two different requirements. First, there could only be one item from each of the ten legs of the race. Second, only three items could be animals or animal by-products, one had to be a U-Turn, three had to be items either at or brought to the Pit Stop, two had to be items of transportation with wheels, one of which was used at a Detour, and one had to be an item of transportation resembling the shape of a stick. While there were several ways to fulfill either of the requirements, only one correct group of ten items fulfilled both."

It required a keen memory of the race, the ability to solve a logic problem, and patience. It was the perfect challenge.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Ariza posted:

edit - when was that poll made and closed? If it was at the beginning of the season, it's amazing that the top 4 teams, by a large margin, were the final 4 teams.

It was made the day I started this thread, closed two days after the first episode. I noticed it last week and was surprised too, especially that people voted for the scientists. I'm glad they won - I like when the underdog wins - but I never would have predicted it.

For non-Survivor fans, a Twinnie just won that.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

SteveVizsla posted:

It was made the day I started this thread, closed two days after the first episode. I noticed it last week and was surprised too, especially that people voted for the scientists. I'm glad they won - I like when the underdog wins - but I never would have predicted it.

For non-Survivor fans, a Twinnie just won that.

That's actually amazing then! I voted for the Dentists I think because that guy has the do or die scary face. It's crazy that people actually thought the food scientists were going to win and that they somehow did, even with the white one looking like a 6th grade asthmatic trying to play sports for the first time whenever things got physical.

edit - going by the poll, which ones were the two very twinky guys? I don't remember a lot of those teams

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The two Asian guys were #CollegeSweethearts, I think. I don't remember #DatingCouple but I think they were one of the first ones out.

If I remember right the Scientists made a good first impression. They were smart, seemed capable, and helped out another team really early. Then in the middle of the season the one's physical liabilities really started to sink them and they looked pretty bad.

I'm surprised the Wrestlers got the early votes since they started off as ineptly as they finished but I guess maybe they were goofy and fun to laugh at even then. But it wasn't until later that they kind of proved they could compete as long as they could find a cab. Which in itself was a bizarre challenge for them.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 22, 2014

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

LionYeti posted:

You left out the thing that is actually going to happen:

A completely lackluster and boring season.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

shhhh don't kill my dreams.

kitten
Feb 6, 2003

SteveVizsla posted:

For non-Survivor fans

You jerk. I unfriended both amazing race and survivor on Facebook so I wouldn't see things ahead of time because you know, this is a busy time of year.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
Finally watched the finale. Amy and Maya were nice enough but drat, they're giving the Beekmans a run for worst winners ever. They only finished in the top half three times before the finale, and were saved by a non-elim. Their best finishes were 4th out of 8, 3rd out of 6, and 2nd out of 4. There were two non-eliminations on the last two legs, four overall. Misti and Jim -- what if they had used their Save during an elimination leg? It would have meant 5 people heading into the finale maybe?

I mean, it wasn't the worst season ever but it sure wasn't very good. And with the cast gimmick next season, why not just go Full Probst and throw in an idol that can be played after you are voted off finish last OH WAIT THEY JUST DID THAT. drat YOU TO HELL MARK BURNETT JERRY BRUCKHEIMER

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
The Wrestlers got screwed. What was the point of the second to last episode if there were no eliminations and everyone was on the same flight? At least give them a head start when they arrived to Los Angeles.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I liked the scientists quite a bit, and it's not really their fault, but that ending was sour.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

paperchaseguy posted:

Finally watched the finale. Amy and Maya were nice enough but drat, they're giving the Beekmans a run for worst winners ever. They only finished in the top half three times before the finale, and were saved by a non-elim. Their best finishes were 4th out of 8, 3rd out of 6, and 2nd out of 4. There were two non-eliminations on the last two legs, four overall. Misti and Jim -- what if they had used their Save during an elimination leg? It would have meant 5 people heading into the finale maybe?

I mean, it wasn't the worst season ever but it sure wasn't very good. And with the cast gimmick next season, why not just go Full Probst and throw in an idol that can be played after you are voted off finish last OH WAIT THEY JUST DID THAT. drat YOU TO HELL MARK BURNETT JERRY BRUCKHEIMER

The Beekmans whined and nearly quit on just about every leg. Whenever they were ridiculously behind, they were saved by non-elimination legs or having a much better team get all their poo poo stolen. At least the scientists never gave up and Amy drat near killed herself in the second last leg.

The save was pretty lame, I think the reason that 4 teams ended up in the finale was because the save wasn't really used meaning that the producers were left with one extra team in the last leg, hence the mid-leg elimination. It would be better if the save was paired with an express pass or something where the team that wins the first leg gets both but must give one or the other to another team. It would at least add some strategy and drama to the decision.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
The thing I didn't like about the finale was there was no task before the elimination. It was drive 45 minutes from lax - > downtown, then drive 45 to San pedro. Sure the wrestlers were way behind and it worked out, but what if no one got lost, if all 4 showed up at the same time was someone getting eliminated after the only task being driving?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
There's a skill to navigation, there, especially since LA freeways are so easy, and LAX is so close to the water that driving away from the ocean to get to downtown really ought to seem like a good idea to anybody. How the wrestlers ended up in Santa Monica is :psyduck:

Best I can figure is they would have been going essentially nowhere on Sepulveda for, like, a half hour. Or they went onto the 405 for some reason, but even getting there from the airport is a bit of a trick and the shot we got of them looked like the PCH.

The Californians

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hey all,

I took the advice and watched the first season of amazing race canada. Great season, aided tremendously by the difficulty of the challenges. One question though - in the finale one of the teams hit the final challenge and appeared at a total loss on how to arrange things. They later finished third... how in the world did she complete the challenge? Or did they just tell her that the race was over and brought them to the finish?

I went looking online for the reunion show but failed to find it.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
If the other teams have all finished, there's no way the producers wouldn't just tell the last place team to pack it up, get in our van, and drive them to the finish line.

The only thing I remember from that finale was Holly's husband apologizing profusely for everything he ever did. Watching himself gave him some kind of epiphany on how much of a dick he was. He called Joanne "the nicest person in Canada", and making her tell him "gently caress off" made him realize he was in the wrong.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Whaat? Really? That's awesome! drat, wish I could've seen that. I was talking about the girls at the flower roadblock, and was curious how in the world she ever figured it out.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Changes are coming

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/12/cbs-renews-scorpion/?hootPostID=80f9db3a44b397c3039f7c8633d48119

quote:

...the network’s entertainment chairman Nina Tassler announced Monday at the Television Critics Association’s press tour in Pasadena.

The executive also revealed that two lesser-rated shows might see some creative changes in the future. Longtime veteran The Amazing Race has been struggling on Friday nights, and Tassler said, “We’ve encouraged [executive producer Bertram van Munster] and his team, and they’ve responded, in terms of making changes and adjustments—there’s going to be surprises.” ...

Well duh, you put a show on Friday nights and of course it will struggle.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The idea of an all-couples season is loving awful. That's such a spectacularly bad idea, start to finish.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Have they done a season with only past winners? Or a season of past winners from different countries?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
:psyduck: The format was never the problem: the show was often at or near the top-rated for CBS on Sunday nights. The move to the Death Slot's the problem. But they'll gut the show, causing it to spiral further out of control before unceremoniously dumping it.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
Season 26 cast introduction video is up.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Cast as in "Jordan from New Kids and some other people"

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
I sincerely hope we get some less obvious countries in the next season. I know the logistics of visas, flight availability, etc. plays a huge role in the locales the teams visit, but after doing a binge-watch of all 25 seasons, I have a difficult time getting excited about episodes that take place in China, India, France, Italy, or the UK. There are a lot of stable eastern European nations that haven't been touched by the show yet (Slovenia, Slovakia, Latvia, Bulgaria). Hell, sub-saharan Africa doesn't even seem to be on the producers' radar anymore -- no South Africa since season 7?! -- though I must give them credit for how much they featured Morocco this season.

Actually, a lot of my favorite legs are the ones that involve places generally off the tourist radar: Azerbaijan, Oman, Kazakhstan, Burkina Faso, Lithuania, Mozambique, etc. Seeing Malta this season was neat.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
I always get excited about India episodes because the subcontinent eats teams. It's glorious. But, the rest, I do definitely see your point.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
Yeah, seeing teams react to cities in India and Bangladesh is... enlightening, I'll give you that. (Also, the episode in S21 where James & Abba had to beg for money in Dhaka was extremely cringe-worthy.)

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
Anybody planning on making a S26 thread? It premieres in a week. I'm not confident in my ability to do it, otherwise I would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njbeachbum
Apr 14, 2005

queertea posted:

Anybody planning on making a S26 thread? It premieres in a week. I'm not confident in my ability to do it, otherwise I would.

I hope so! I am not confident enough either.

• Locked thread