Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Saying that Civilization IV is the best Civ is a lot saying Bad Company 2 is the best BF or that Oblivion is the best Elder Scrolls, in that it's an opinion shared exclusively by shrill retards

you are right, civ V is best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Captain Gordon posted:

you are right, civ V is best

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

with BNW obviously :rolleyes:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Captain Gordon posted:

with BNW obviously :rolleyes:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
hairy nutsack

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Yolomancer posted:

Trap sprung, fuckers. Civ 5 is loving dog poo poo. Sure, plenty of simpletons like it, because Civ 5 was completely dumbed down all in the name of 'streamlining', but that doesn't make them right.

Civ 5 is essentially a game where you wait for various buckets to fill up. In the meantime, nothing happens. There is no tactical or strategical depth to the game. In Civ 4 you have to make decisions like, how do I micro my city tiles to ensure this granary finishes when the food box is half full for optimal growth? Whereas in Civ 5 you make choices like, do I want +1 faith on desert tiles or +2 gold? Holy poo poo, what a momentous decision.

If you like Civ 5, chances are you are a shallow idiot. No, the new expansions did not fix any of the fundamental problems with the underlying game. They simply gave you more buckets to fill up. I don't give a poo poo if the game looks prettier. Gameplay trumps graphics every single goddamn time, and if you disagree, you are the hyena chomping on the bones of PC Gaming.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks for quoting that post, Kilroy.

As for Alpha Centauri:

- Anybody who tells you that they really love the story, man, in a video game, can be safely ignored. Because they are about as dumb as people who line up hours for an iPhone 6. The story/lore in video games is invariably written by talentless hacks who couldn't make it elsewhere, so they resort to writing derivative crap for shithead gamers who lap this sort of poo poo up because they're about as well read as Stevie Wonder. gently caress these people. They're too thick to realise that the number one most important factor in any game, is something that you're given a huge clue about in the loving title. It's the gameplay, idiots.

- Alpha Centauri wasn't a bad game. It's just that it wasn't a particularly good one, either. It was much more shallow in a strategic sense than say, Master of Orion 2, and certainly infinitely more shallow than Civ 4. There were certain approaches you could take (ICS, beelining air weapons, supply crawlers) that were just brokenly good and anybody who tries to say, "B-but Civ 4 was like that too!!!!!!" well just ask them to post a link to their Deity win, hell, let's be generous and say their Emperor win and watch them slink back off to whatever shithole they came from. Cowards.

- I don't know what I've been told, Deidre's built a network node. Fans of SMAC often like to talk about the flavour of the game, as if all the cute and oh so clever quotes and whatnot made up for all the rest of this poo poo. It didn't and doesn't. Flavour can make an already great game even better, but it is not enough to make an average game good. If you seriously make your purchasing decisions based on this sort of fluff, this detritus, then I'm not sure what to say to you other than, what are you doing posting here when you could be off voting for somebody on American Idol?

Step to me, fuckers.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Yolomancer posted:

Thanks for quoting that post, Kilroy.

As for Alpha Centauri:

- Anybody who tells you that they really love the story, man, in a video game, can be safely ignored. Because they are about as dumb as people who line up hours for an iPhone 6. The story/lore in video games is invariably written by talentless hacks who couldn't make it elsewhere, so they resort to writing derivative crap for shithead gamers who lap this sort of poo poo up because they're about as well read as Stevie Wonder. gently caress these people. They're too thick to realise that the number one most important factor in any game, is something that you're given a huge clue about in the loving title. It's the gameplay, idiots.

- Alpha Centauri wasn't a bad game. It's just that it wasn't a particularly good one, either. It was much more shallow in a strategic sense than say, Master of Orion 2, and certainly infinitely more shallow than Civ 4. There were certain approaches you could take (ICS, beelining air weapons, supply crawlers) that were just brokenly good and anybody who tries to say, "B-but Civ 4 was like that too!!!!!!" well just ask them to post a link to their Deity win, hell, let's be generous and say their Emperor win and watch them slink back off to whatever shithole they came from. Cowards.

- I don't know what I've been told, Deidre's built a network node. Fans of SMAC often like to talk about the flavour of the game, as if all the cute and oh so clever quotes and whatnot made up for all the rest of this poo poo. It didn't and doesn't. Flavour can make an already great game even better, but it is not enough to make an average game good. If you seriously make your purchasing decisions based on this sort of fluff, this detritus, then I'm not sure what to say to you other than, what are you doing posting here when you could be off voting for somebody on American Idol?

Step to me, fuckers.

imperialism 2 was better than civ 4 but i mostly agree with everything in this post

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
:worship:

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Quake 3 is better than all Civs and Alpha Centauri games combined. That fucker shat meaningful strategic and tactical choices at you like there is no tomorrow. Do I go for Red Armor or do I try to snatch Quad Damage? Do I cover this entrance with a couple of well-placed Rockets or do I trick jump up that ledge and camp this jump pad with a Railgun? Anything Civ 4 offers you pales in comparison and people who disagree with that are shallow paraplegic losers that are just no good at serious gaming.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

blainestereo posted:

Quake 3 is better than all Civs and Alpha Centauri games combined. That fucker shat meaningful strategic and tactical choices at you like there is no tomorrow. Do I go for Red Armor or do I try to snatch Quad Damage? Do I cover this entrance with a couple of well-placed Rockets or do I trick jump up that ledge and camp this jump pad with a Railgun? Anything Civ 4 offers you pales in comparison and people who disagree with that are shallow paraplegic losers that are just no good at serious gaming.

I suppose this would be a good burn if you were too dumb to realise what the word paraplegic means.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Saying that Civilization IV is the best Civ is a lot saying Bad Company 2 is the best BF or that Oblivion is the best Elder Scrolls, in that it's an opinion shared exclusively by shrill retards

bc2 is the best bf tho??? unless you like lag-a-thons and "realism" keeping you from levelling every house on the map with a grenade launcher

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

noob tube more like pro pipe amirite

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Yolomancer posted:

I suppose this would be a good burn if you were too dumb to realise what the word paraplegic means.

Nah it is an all right burn in any case, your weird phrasing notwithstanding.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

DeusExMachinima posted:

mw2 spawn trapping people with souped up grenade launchers and one man army was great fun

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

DeusExMachinima posted:

those were both names for my penis at one point :wiggle:

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Wormskull posted:

If you thought the OP might be a cool guy, let me just change your mind.

11:14 PM - W0RMSKuLL: want to quake
11:15 PM - Borsche is now Offline.

I played quake with you

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

blainestereo posted:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Panzeh posted:

mw2 spawn trapping people with souped up grenade launchers and one man army was great fun

nevah 420get https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1SSkB3-f3o

ofc the bc2 assault class has nades & infinite ammo crates so idk who thought that was a good idea but they are a hero to me

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

I don't know but I've been told, Deirdre's got a Network Node. Likes to press the on-off switch, Dig that crazy Gaian witch!
Spartan Barracks March

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

A handsome young cyborg named Ace, wooed women at every base, but once ladies glanced at his special enhancement, they vanished with nary a trace.
Barracks Graffiti, Sparta Command

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
"What do I care for your suffering?"

- Jon Shafer, Lead Designer, Civilization 5

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I GOT PIG IRON, I GOT PIG IRON, I GOT ALL PIG IRON - Spock, Deep Space Nine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf2pUJtYa-Y

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006
just how many pages of p. ownage are we going for here?

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
OP is a human being

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

mdm posted:

OP is a human being

truth