Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I'm an EMT working in private interfacility transport, specifically on a site serving a single hospital, and it looks very likely that in the next week or so I will be stepping up as a supervisor. We're union, and I have always been working as a medical technician in some capacity (7 years as a retail pharmacy technician and UFCW member, 2 years as a mental health technician, and now a year as an EMT). So, I've always been pro-labor, and I've always been on the labor side of that equation. With this move to management, I'll be being paid much more and working much better hours. I'm confident that I have the skills necessary to work in a supervisory capacity, though I haven't had a supervisory role before. It's also good experience for when I move on, having "EMS supervisor" on your resume is much better than just "EMT" in terms of being able to get better paying supervisory roles in the future, after all. I'm not concerned that I'm "betraying my class" or any super leftist sentiment, more that I am glad that I know I can be someone who supports his workers against my bosses, but of course the best of intentions etc etc.

My question is less about "how do I supervisor" and more about the transition. I'm moving from labor, where I've stood united against the exploitation of our capitalist overlords shoulder to shoulder with my coworkers, to being the heel of that capitalist oppression on the throat of labor. My view of things has to necessarily change from "man it's bullshit that they are having me work 5 shifts this week" to "hey, we're in a tough spot, I need you to work 5 days this week." I think I can do this, but I'd like to hear about other people's experiences moving from supervised to supervisor, basically.

The relationship between myself and my now-coworkers will definitely change once they are "my employees," but what was that like for you? How did you manage that? How awkward and terrible was it getting along with people once you went to management?

I don't think I'll forget what it's like to be on the other side, at least not for a good long while, so I'm not worried that I'm going to be lovely and terrible to them, but more concerned about what it's been like for others to have to be lovely and terrible towards people you used to get poo poo on right alongside.

So, anyone who has gone from worker to manager at a job, whether it was from "barrista" to "shift supervisor" or "clerk" to "shift lead" or whatever, what was it like for you moving from one side of the equation to the other?

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid
I am currently a shift supervisor in charge of 50 people.

You really go from being a rebel to being part of the man. At times it feels wrong and you want to speak out. However, you need to be aware anything you say will go around. Its like you are a celebrity and you will need to watch your words and actions.

It is important to define your management style. I personally use a "velvet glove/iron fist" approach. What I mean by this is you have a soft touch but you keep accountability at the core. Therefore, when people gently caress up you need to call them out and coach them through their mistakes.

I work with a lot of women. I see 1-2 people in my office crying about stuff every 2 weeks.

DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA

That is people management 101 and you need to control your ant farm.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I learned less about trying to defend my underlings to my bosses (in your terms, less about spreading a "pro-labor" stance toward your "capitalist overlords"), and more about... poo poo that I should have known as a working man that I was too blind to see. Your example about 5 shifts is spot-on. When I was the guy getting called in for extra days, it was always "what the gently caress are they doing up there?". And being the guy calling someone in on OT for an extra day is "I wish there was some other way." I learned to sympathize with the bosses more than with the working man. It's tough at the top.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

photomikey posted:

I learned less about trying to defend my underlings to my bosses (in your terms, less about spreading a "pro-labor" stance toward your "capitalist overlords"), and more about... poo poo that I should have known as a working man that I was too blind to see. Your example about 5 shifts is spot-on. When I was the guy getting called in for extra days, it was always "what the gently caress are they doing up there?". And being the guy calling someone in on OT for an extra day is "I wish there was some other way." I learned to sympathize with the bosses more than with the working man. It's tough at the top.

Of course it could always be the case that management really is just loving around for the sake of it and have no problems loving you over, usually in that case though instead of a promotion you'd suddenly get a manager that just happens to be the CEO's nephew.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Brut posted:

Of course it could always be the case that management really is just loving around for the sake of it and have no problems loving you over, usually in that case though instead of a promotion you'd suddenly get a manager that just happens to be the CEO's nephew.

Do you really think a lot of managers are making you come in your day off just to gently caress with you? Because they're not.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Dangersim posted:

Do you really think a lot of managers are making you come in your day off just to gently caress with you? Because they're not.

Usually we just call in whoever we think will show up. It's always a hilarious thing, because the people who bitch that they don't get enough hours will ALWAYS be the ones to say they can't come in.

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid

Liar posted:

Usually we just call in whoever we think will show up. It's always a hilarious thing, because the people who bitch that they don't get enough hours will ALWAYS be the ones to say they can't come in.

People just complain no matter what. You will quickly realize as a manager if you try to make EVERYONE happy you will burn out hard.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
On that hilarious note, from personal example my current supervisor soon-to-be co-supervisor added another ground shift for me next week, meaning it will not be until October 5-6 that I have two consecutive days off. I have not had 2 days off in a row since September 7. But, taking a good hard look at it, unfortunately it's the only way at the moment, given the crew we have and the staffing we have available on certain days. It's bullshit, but it's the best of all possible schedules (unless I can pull off some kind of miracle and get a PRN in). So yeah, I honestly don't believe it was done with malice, but it's annoying since I specifically told him I want no OT next week (I have done 1-2 extra 12 hour shifts every week since the last week of August).

One of my priorities is getting adequate staffing. There are about 9 of us right now, I think we optimally run with 15 full time. Sooo.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
  • Document everything. The good and the bad.
  • Things that used to be friendship might now be favoritism. If a group of people are going out after work, should you go? Was everyone invited?
  • Explain why you do the things you do.
  • Remember that no matter what you do, people are going to go home at night and complain to their friends and spouses about you. That's just part of the job.

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005
Nevermind; wrong thread.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Paramemetic posted:

On that hilarious note, from personal example my current supervisor soon-to-be co-supervisor added another ground shift for me next week, meaning it will not be until October 5-6 that I have two consecutive days off. I have not had 2 days off in a row since September 7. But, taking a good hard look at it, unfortunately it's the only way at the moment, given the crew we have and the staffing we have available on certain days. It's bullshit, but it's the best of all possible schedules (unless I can pull off some kind of miracle and get a PRN in). So yeah, I honestly don't believe it was done with malice, but it's annoying since I specifically told him I want no OT next week (I have done 1-2 extra 12 hour shifts every week since the last week of August).

One of my priorities is getting adequate staffing. There are about 9 of us right now, I think we optimally run with 15 full time. Sooo.

You know your coworkers better than anyone here obviously, but you might think about whether at least some of them actually like the overtime when you consider what "optimally running" is. The ones that want the OT for whatever reason (need the money, workaholic, whatever) will be angry if you hire to the point that they never get the OT.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Jazerus posted:

You know your coworkers better than anyone here obviously, but you might think about whether at least some of them actually like the overtime when you consider what "optimally running" is. The ones that want the OT for whatever reason (need the money, workaholic, whatever) will be angry if you hire to the point that they never get the OT.

I'm aware of this, but having every person on OT indefinitely isn't ideal. From the company's side, OT costs money, but not as much as employees necessarily. From my perspective, this is a fifth 12 hour shift (60 hours total this week) and it will be the sixth week I am on OT in a row, and I don't want the OT. So if I move to supervisory, we pretty much need at least two people to fill that shift.

But "no OT available" is hardly a concern in EMS, I have literally never heard of this in this field.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
I don't know how to break it to you, but if solving that problem was as simple as "run a classified ad, hire 6 people", someone else would have done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

photomikey posted:

I don't know how to break it to you, but if solving that problem was as simple as "run a classified ad, hire 6 people", someone else would have done it.

Well shoot, all my plans like so many tears, in rain

• Locked thread