Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dec 26, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Are there any crowdfunded/eary access'd games that are complete right now? By that I mean a game like "they used to make 'em" in the good old days of big boxes and CDs where you could install a thing and not wait for the 27th patch to fix a gamebreaking bug or that last bit of the current season of episodes.

I don't think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

SeXReX posted:

did early access touch a bunch of goons when they were kids or something everyone here hates the idea as a whole instead of just the lovely devs who abuse it to take money for games that will never have the featureset they claim they will

I mostly think that having to release a finished product to earn money is a better business model from players point of view. The idea of selling a non-finished game for money with no legal obligation to finish is both enabling and encouraging bad behavior: If 50-70% of your customer base buys the game in early access, and your game is far from being finished, then abandoning the game is often the economically sound thing to do. I also hate that there is no way to tell steam that i don't want to see any early access games on the storefront.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

how to make a million loving dollars:

1. make half of a lovely survival game
2. congratulations, you're the #1 top seller on steam for weeks on end

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Azraelle posted:

I also hate that there is no way to tell steam that i don't want to see any early access games on the storefront.
yeah they should do something about this

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

SeXReX posted:

yeah they should do something about this

in my defence I've only glanced at steam since they changed the storefront, thanks for the tip :tipshat:

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

Azraelle posted:

I mostly think that having to release a finished product to earn money is a better business model from players point of view. The idea of selling a non-finished game for money with no legal obligation to finish is both enabling and encouraging bad behavior: If 50-70% of your customer base buys the game in early access, and your game is far from being finished, then abandoning the game is often the economically sound thing to do. I also hate that there is no way to tell steam that i don't want to see any early access games on the storefront.

Well, there's no reason for publishers/developers to stop doing Early Access if it gets them money. The only way to stop the practice, if you don't like it, is not to participate. Given that people seem to have no self control over buying any game they are vaguely interested in, I don't see it going away any time soon.

I mean Pre-Orders are already ridiculous. People are like, 'Man, the last game from this company was total poo poo. I have no idea why they expect us to shell out money months in advance. And now I'm buying it, + the season pass that will probably end up being next to nothing. That'll show 'em.'

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Wasteland 2 was crowdfunded. Iunno, I kickstarted Torment 2 and got Wasteland 2 as well. Two big games for forty bucks seems reasonable.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Peztopiary posted:

Wasteland 2 was crowdfunded. Iunno, I kickstarted Torment 2 and got Wasteland 2 as well. Two big games for forty bucks seems reasonable.

Are you counting and unhatched chickens here? I hope Torment 2 comes out eventually too, and is good.

So, so far we have FLT, Shadowrun, Shovel Knight and Wasteland 2. Also some poo poo like Battlemage was in early access and I think the devs were just like 'yeah okay thats as done as its getting, here u go'

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Was mercenary kings crowdfunded? I kind of liked it despite its flaws

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

The Protagonist posted:

Are you counting and unhatched chickens here? I hope Torment 2 comes out eventually too, and is good.

So, so far we have FLT, Shadowrun, Shovel Knight and Wasteland 2. Also some poo poo like Battlemage was in early access and I think the devs were just like 'yeah okay thats as done as its getting, here u go'

divinity: original sin

kickstarter, is good, because it revived western rpgs

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

i bougbt nuclear throne and broforce early access and those games freakin own

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Organs posted:

i bougbt nuclear throne and broforce early access and those games freakin own

broforce will own a whole lot more when it takes more than fifteen minutes to beat the campaign

nuclear throne looks like it could be fun

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I kinda liked the 15 minutes or so I played Crypt of the NecroDancer.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

The Protagonist posted:

You think Torment 2 won't? Really I'm having more trouble with RPG books I Kickstarted from little indy companies than any games. I've got faith that eventually Barkley Gaiden 2 will happen. Putting money into an alpha/in development game is a risk sure, but if it pays off you get a good game for cheap. I also bought Drox Operative while it was still in beta. Diablo 2 in space, the computer is basically running Galactic Civilizations or another 4x like that while you go around murdering dudes and taking their loot. It's fun.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

The Protagonist posted:

broforce will own a whole lot more when it takes more than fifteen minutes to beat the campaign

nuclear throne looks like it could be fun

ya but luckily broforce has a level editor and you can share that stuff online which is really cool. basically they just need to give players as many toys to play with as possible imo. i can't wait for the aliens-themed stuff to go live cause it will probably be better than all the licensed games save for that avp arcade brawler that owns

i think nuclear throne is nearly finished as well they're basically polishing the heck out of stuff and tweaking it right now?? like you could complete it before but then it just put you into a second loop like a shmup or something and you start again from level 1 with all your weapons and perks but there's a lot more enemies in the levels. it's a cool game, i suggest watching some gameplay videos on youtube to see if you like it or not

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Organs posted:

i suggest watching some gameplay videos on youtube to see if you like it or not

How to tell if you will like nuclear throne: a handy flowchart.

Do you have a pulse?

If yes you will probably enjoy nuclear throne.

(At this point it might be worth waiting for launch because it's going to be an entire dollar cheaper, also available on psp/4)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I am a roguelike

• Locked thread