Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Suddenly this is a work-from-home day and I finally find a perfect couch on craigslist. Unfortunately I am terrible at geometry and want to make sure I'm not about to buy a nice $900 couch, only for it to sit in my apartment hallway (where it wont fit anyway.)

It is 87w x 41d x 39h (33.5" with the 5.5" legs off), need to fit it through a 84x32" door though, and would be kind of hosed if it doesn't fit. The arms are 29" tall.

Seriously look at this loving couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
That's a pretty ghastly looking couch.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
No but you will be able to fit it in a dumpster.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It probably doesn't pair well with a Doritos dust-encrusted Ikea desk, but that's not how the room is decorated.

Anyways, just about every real leather couch on Craigslist is either 1000x uglier or broken.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Got that couch, it's not comfortable let alone $900 comfortable. Don't do it man.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Really? I mean, at that price point, I could basically only get an eminently hideous couch off Craigslist or a bonded (fake, basically) leather IKEA one. Would be happy to take suggestions on other couches under $1000 tho.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Don't go with leather. They're super uncomfortable unless you get an insanely nice one.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
It's a granny couch.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It probably doesn't pair well with a Doritos dust-encrusted Ikea desk, but that's not how the room is decorated.

Anyways, just about every real leather couch on Craigslist is either 1000x uglier or broken.

Most ikea stuff looks way nicer, hth. If your room is actually decorated to the style of that couch there is literally 0 chance you should be buying used.

Really? I mean, at that price point, I could basically only get an eminently hideous couch off Craigslist or a bonded (fake, basically) leather IKEA one. Would be happy to take suggestions on other couches under $1000 tho.

Try a "furniture store", what you showed us is basically the fedora of couches.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

You do realize that they make this fantastic stuff called upholstery, and you can get a FREE couch off of craigslist, and spend $150 to get it reupholstered however the gently caress you want. Leather couches are never really worth it because they're hot as balls in the summer -bonded leather doubly so, so unless you want to be throwing money away at running the A/C on a nice (IE 75 or so degree) day, they scuff/scratch really easily, and if you gently caress up the leather, it's not nearly as cheap/easy to get it fixed as upholstery is.

Seriously, you can literally pick a swatch of any loving thing you want, and an upholstory place can redo an entire couch in it for WAY WAY WAY less than a grand. You can have a completely custom couch for less than a third of a fake leather couch, and you have the added benefit of knowing that if you have a guest over who keeps their keys clipped to their belt/has a studded belt/is wearing jewelery/etc that it's not going to ruin your hideously overpriced couch by putting a gouge in it, your rear end is not going to stick to it if you sit on it in shorts, and did I mention that you can get it custom done for less than a third of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

AA is for Quitters posted:

You do realize that they make this fantastic stuff called upholstery, and you can get a FREE couch off of craigslist, and spend $150 to get it reupholstered however the gently caress you want. Leather couches are never really worth it because they're hot as balls in the summer -bonded leather doubly so, so unless you want to be throwing money away at running the A/C on a nice (IE 75 or so degree) day, they scuff/scratch really easily, and if you gently caress up the leather, it's not nearly as cheap/easy to get it fixed as upholstery is.

Seriously, you can literally pick a swatch of any loving thing you want, and an upholstory place can redo an entire couch in it for WAY WAY WAY less than a grand. You can have a completely custom couch for less than a third of a fake leather couch, and you have the added benefit of knowing that if you have a guest over who keeps their keys clipped to their belt/has a studded belt/is wearing jewelery/etc that it's not going to ruin your hideously overpriced couch by putting a gouge in it, your rear end is not going to stick to it if you sit on it in shorts, and did I mention that you can get it custom done for less than a third of that?
Scuffs and scratches are fine. That's basically the point of leather, along with the various aesthetic and comfort reasons. I find myself always disappointed with fabric couches.

tsa posted:

Most ikea stuff looks way nicer, hth.
Most Ikea stuff is actually quite spartan and cheap. Some of it is well designed, but even those pieces generally use cheap materials. The obvious exceptions are pieces like the $1800 Stockholm couch, but no one drops that much on Ikea.

tsa posted:

If your room is actually decorated to the style of that couch there is literally 0 chance you should be buying used.

Try a "furniture store", what you showed us is basically the fedora of couches.
goons.txt

Anyways, it won't fit through the door, so, bye thread

• Locked thread