Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Skill trees in action games where you're just gonna end up unlocking everything eventually are really boring and dumb and don't need to be there. Example: Shadow of Mordor is a real good video game, but the skill tree doesn't add poo poo to it. It's just a hoop you jump through to get your cool tricks, and you're gonna be able to get them all by the end anyway. All it does is gate you with the Power thing and let you pick what order you get them in, which kinda, who cares about that.

The g should've had a Metroid-like upgrade system where you can run around and grab cool relics that give you the abilities the skill tree does or upgrade your health and focus and the amount of ~~elf-shot~~ you can hold and poo poo like that. It'd have the same effect of gating you--maybe you can only unlock certain areas or get certain upgrades after killing enough captains or something--and letting you pick what order you get things in (because it's open-world), but it's more active and fun and not an arbitrary skill tree.

If the skill tree features actual choices I guess that's cool, but if it doesn't, why bother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoredDG
Aug 10, 2013

:agreed:

Chelovek-Govno
Aug 11, 2014

Zamorozhenaia Zhopa
Heh, yeah, I'll bet you prefer unskilled trees -- they're more familiar to you! :dukedog:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
skill trees in general are stupid, all games should have character/class-locked abilities.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I don't mind if their made well but every game made in the past 5 years regardless of the company has almost the exact same skill tree and collection formula, OP, so it's a bit boring.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i hate when my skill tree gets skill longhorn beetles

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
metroidvania upgrades are the best upgrades

i like starcraft 2's plot upgrade system but i wish it let you change later. esp since you have way more artifacts than you need

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Shdadow of MOrdor is a piece of loving poo poo. gently caress foff.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

conceitedguy posted:

Shdadow of MOrdor is a piece of loving poo poo. gently caress foff.

:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Wormskull posted:

I don't mind if their made well but every game made in the past 5 years regardless of the company has almost the exact same skill tree and collection formula, OP, so it's a bit boring.

I know this feeling.

• Locked thread