Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

wukkar posted:

So does football keep pushing back 60 minutes which pushes back this which screws up my DVR? I keep having to watch the last half of this on cbs.com.

Yes, expect that to continue until football season is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Comms girl: "Water is burning, Madam Secretary, and your name is linked to it. The optics of this couldn't be worse."

MSec: "Optics? Seriously?"

Comms girl: "I'm sorry. It's my job to tell you that."

This one exchange illustrates why this show is the poor man's West Wing.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
The only way this works is if he's working for the NSA AND having an affair.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Wow, this awkward banter/romantic tension between curly hair guy and soon to be married woman is truly awful.

And the moronic NSA plot continues, despite that fact that it would completely destroy the credibility of the Secretary and really gently caress up America's diplomatic everything.

The fact that they do a "dramatic nighttime raid" and bring the guy back for a tearful reuniting with his wife is just more evidence that this show is banking on cheap drama rather the good writing. There appears to be some super secret plot where the previous Secretary was secretly killed so Madam Secretary can investigate and expose it/risk her life for cheap drama.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 10, 2014

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I do not care about her husband's bullshit.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Gawain The Blind posted:

I do not care about her husband's bullshit.

Yeah, the line about "It came from the President" was stupid justification. The Senate Intelligence committee would lose their poo poo if they learned the President was using the spouse of a high ranking cabinet member for "contract" spy work.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
"You know what would've made The West Wing better? A underlying mystery about whether or not the CIA is assassinating members of the Cabinet and silencing witnesses" -The writers of Madam Secretary.

This show is complete garbage. Was it originally pitched as a lovely Tom Clancy-like political thriller series?

pentyne fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 17, 2014

Bellakitty
Dec 28, 2008

"And so it goes"
I knew it was going where it did!

I am still enjoying it. I liked the lady getting roses from the NASA guy.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I guess they got sick of trying to redo the West Wing.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

well that sure was an episode!

Edit: oh man, that was the most West Wing episode. In fact I think it WAS a west wing episode.

At least a pale imitation of, but that's still good yeah?

Edit again no it was actually really poo poo. damnit.if the next episode isn't better i'm done with this.

BSam fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Nov 24, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This show is hot, hot garbage.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Are there any drat characters left that aren't read in on Marsh=assassinated? Just her 12 year-old anarchist? Does he still even exist?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

wukkar posted:

Are there any drat characters left that aren't read in on Marsh=assassinated? Just her 12 year-old anarchist? Does he still even exist?

I can't even tell what direction its going. So the CoS for the president finds out, freaks the gently caress out and yells at her, is really upset that she thought he/pres was involved.

So...who killed Marsh? They painted it heavily as "silenced a threat to the president" but now that's up in the air. It'll probably be revealed to be some convoluted web of business interests and entrenched politicians who hired some Mossad agents to recreate their previous "work".

But then, what does that make this show? Some weird hybrid of West Wing and Scandal? I literally cannot stand the forced love triangle between the black woman and her abusive fiancee and weirdo glasses curly haired guy, who after having them casually flirt a bit he suddenly confessed his love to her then she said she's staying with the fiancee, then an episode or two later the staffers hook up.

It's a complete mess, and it seems like every few episodes the writers have a disagreement and change the tone of the show.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I might start loving this show if they keep going balls to the walls crazy.

A bunch of Texas militiamen storm into Mexico, pull off kidnapping a prisoner (who killed a Texas cop) who was held in Mexico, then bring him back to Texas, and the good old boy southern Governor yucks it up with "this is how we do things in Texas" and refuses to release said prisoner and picks a fight with the federal govt.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Let me guess - everyone else forgot there was a new episode today?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

pentyne posted:

I might start loving this show if they keep going balls to the walls crazy.

A bunch of Texas militiamen storm into Mexico, pull off kidnapping a prisoner (who killed a Texas cop) who was held in Mexico, then bring him back to Texas, and the good old boy southern Governor yucks it up with "this is how we do things in Texas" and refuses to release said prisoner and picks a fight with the federal govt.

That governor was loving hilarious, I looked away from my TV and thought I had switched the channel to Looney Tunes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LCsiWL6gn0

(I mean I realize that's a real world accent but he really went full tilt into it)

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

Let me guess - everyone else forgot there was a new episode today?

I decided to rewatch an episode of The West Wing every Sunday night instead.

Bellakitty
Dec 28, 2008

I personally loved how she handled that lovely rogue governor. She doesn't pull any punches.
(yeah yeah, just a show)

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
I liked the photo op at the end.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Is it wrong that this thread didn't sell me on the show based on comparisons to West Wing, but because I've always had a crush on Tea Leoni? :buddy:

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Is it wrong that this thread didn't sell me on the show based on comparisons to West Wing, but because I've always had a crush on Tea Leoni? :buddy:

That's why I watched, and because I liked wings

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WarLocke posted:

Well, the comparisons were mostly "Hahaha they could not be trying harder and failing to be sorkin-esque"

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
This is a ridiculous show, especially all the strange family & feel good scenes and they seem to have forgotten about the assassination etc.

On the other hand Tea Leoni is pretty awesome, and I like her secretary too.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Does anyone know why the show is taking another break until March?

Or are the airdates on wikipedia full of crap?

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 12, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Boatswain posted:

This is a ridiculous show, especially all the strange family & feel good scenes and they seem to have forgotten about the assassination etc.

On the other hand Tea Leoni is pretty awesome, and I like her secretary too.

The family stuff is bizarre. The oldest daughter is just the stereotypical "college opened my eyes I know how the world really works now :smuggo:" and keeps acting openly disrespectful to her parents in the worst way possible.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

So after having watched the first episode, I'm liking the show but it's kind of hard to quantify. It first seems like it wants to be West Wing, complete with Sorkin-ish rapid-fire dialogue, but then veers into (more) serious politics with the kidnapped kids and then caps off with a conspiracy and assassinations in the white house/CIA. :tinfoil:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

6 episodes in and I'm not really getting why POTUS wanted her for this job. He's all 'you think outside the box, hell you don't know there IS a box' in the pilot but he and the assistant guy do nothing but make poo poo harder for her and throw her under the bus at every turn.

I am starting to think that the POTUS' plan was to kill the former Secretary of State and think that Leoni's character would be one he could control and dispose of later. :tinfoil:

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

She is an old friend with the same background as he and the box thing was code for I'm gonna throw you under the bus because you can take it.

She has yet to fail professionally.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

OK, I'm in on this one. It's a good show.

Madam Secretary is basically West Wing Lite with a dash of family drama and the B Plot being thise White House/CIA murder conspiracy mystery. :suspense:

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

The Lord Bude posted:

Does anyone know why the show is taking another break until March?

Or are the airdates on wikipedia full of crap?

Football.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

So did everyone forget this was back from break or something?

Bellakitty
Dec 28, 2008

I watched it. I just have too much stuff going on to post a lot. I am happy this got picked up for season 2.
I do NOT like the turn it's taken where her friend is a conspirator in the previous Secretary's death. That just seems wrong. I know it probably happens in real life, but ugh.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

So did everyone forget this was back from break or something?

No the show is just pretty bad. It's a mix of West Wing and standard conspiracy mystery without being able to do either well and clearly failing at it.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
This show is so bad, yet so incredibly watchable.

Bellakitty
Dec 28, 2008

I just watched the episode from Sunday. I thought it was really good. I was so sad to see the Iranian guy get killed though, especially in front of his son.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I don't know what it is about this show, it's not very good honestly but I can't stop watching it.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

That's because it is actually good for what it is and it doesn't stray from that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm pretty sure there's no way in hell a private citizen could never seize another country's art/antiquities as collateral for owning a bunch of said country's bonds.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Lol that stuff with the cult is some Monty Python poo poo. "The time is nigh! The time is nigh!" :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

pentyne posted:

I'm pretty sure there's no way in hell a private citizen could never seize another country's art/antiquities as collateral for owning a bunch of said country's bonds.

You might want to look at the current conflict between Argentina and it's hedge fund creditors.

• Locked thread