Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casca
Jan 25, 2006

The Saints must Flow.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

5 million out of 300 million is almost 2%. At that rate if your high school graduating class was 150 people you know 3 Jews

I grew up in rural north central Texas where none of the surrounding towns had any Jewish residents at all. Currently the west Texas city I live in now has one synagogue that serves 60 families who are spread out into smaller towns over a 70 mile radius. I don't think I've actually met a practicing Jew in person, ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I vaguely recall I think a National Geographic article about Hasidic Jews in small midwest towns and just what they were doing there in the first place. I can't remember exactly the industry that lured them out that way. I think I remember reading that they had a surprisingly peachy relationship with latino immigrants but I could be misremembering.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
The industry was meatpacking; Kosher meatpacking plants.

Latinos often wind up working in meatpacking plants.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Sounds about right. For some reason I was thinking kosher chicken processing but that's not entirely out of the ballpark. And the relationship wasn't just employer I think; I think the town in general was on board with it and were kinda marveling at having both taquerias and bagel places in their town. It was kinda cute.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Frostwerks posted:

I vaguely recall I think a National Geographic article about Hasidic Jews in small midwest towns and just what they were doing there in the first place. I can't remember exactly the industry that lured them out that way. I think I remember reading that they had a surprisingly peachy relationship with latino immigrants but I could be misremembering.

Sometimes the relationship is so peachy that the Latinos are actually Jews!

quote:

One evening not long ago, I came across an odd little children’s book. Abuelita’s Secret Matzahs told the story of a Hispanic boy named Jacobo who, while visiting his grandmother in Santa Fe, learned that he was something called an anusim, or a “Crypto-Jew,” which I learned meant that he was a descendant of the Medieval Jews of Spain, who were forcibly converted to Catholicism yet continued, for hundreds of years, to practice Judaism in secret. Anusim is the Hebrew word for “forced.” The forced converts were also known by the pejorative marrano (Spanish for pig); cristianos-nuevos (New Christians); conversos (converts); and judaizantes (Judaizers). The term “Crypto-Jew” dates from 1893, when it was used in an article in the British journal Transactions of the Jewish Historical Society of England.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

There are also plenty of Latinos who are not "crypto-Jews" but just regular, openly practicing Jews. Especially in Argentina, but in a few other countries as well.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Do they get along with the crypto nazis.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
If your office doesn't particularly want it there, I imagine if you call a local synagogue they could send someone by to take it off your hands.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Frostwerks posted:

Only on the surface...

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Frostwerks posted:

Probably depends on just how crypto either side is trying to be at the time. It could get awkward.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

the black husserl posted:

Abuelita’s Secret Matzahs told the story of a Hispanic boy named Jacobo who, while visiting his grandmother in Santa Fe, learned that he was something called an anusim

"-im" is the (masculine) plural, so technically he would be an anus.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
So many of the replies in this thread are literally "well I'm from the south and schools here suck so why should I be expected to know a thing"

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I can safely say that most people in Australia probably wouldn't instantly recognize Hebrew either. Would we be having this discussion if the language in question was Syriac?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Like I said earlier, I think some people massively overestimate hebrew and it's significance to the wider world. It's really interesting that you can even make the suggestion that schools suck if they don't teach hebrew. Talk about a skewed world image, maybe it's due to american politics & israel.

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009

New Leaf posted:

It was a 30,000 square foot convention center (and apparently a grocery store and a Big Lots at some point after asking around) and isn't in a residential area. I doubt anyone ever lived here. We gutted it and turned it into a big cubicle farm for around 300 folks- that's why it's presence is pretty odd to me. I guess it's possible one of the previous owners was Jewish and had his building blessed.

It's possible the building may have been a Jewish community center or Jewish business at some time. Neat find. :)

And chill out, people.

From looking it up:

Total Population of North Carolina 9,535,483
Total Jewish Population of NC: 31,675

I'm not the best with math, but that looks to be less than 2% of the total population.

So many of the replies in this thread are literally "well I'm from the south and schools here suck so why should I be expected to know a thing"

A lot of people in this thread have clearly never been to North Carolina, or the South. The Jewish populations are mainly focused in the cities here, so if you don't live in one, you probably don't have much exposure to Jewish culture. Hell, I've lived around Atlanta all my life, which has a decent-sized Jewish population, and most non-Jewish people here have very little knowledge of Judaism outside of the food in delis.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

His Divine Shadow posted:

Like I said earlier, I think some people massively overestimate hebrew and it's significance to the wider world. It's really interesting that you can even make the suggestion that schools suck if they don't teach hebrew. Talk about a skewed world image, maybe it's due to american politics & israel.

Well no I don't think it has anything to do with Israel. While obviously Jewish people are a fairly small minority in terms of actual numbers, there is still the fact that a huge portion of the US is Christian and our culture is heavily influenced by the Christian religion. Since Christianity descends from Judaism, and since many Christians still consider the Old Testament to be a sacred text, and said text is based largely on Hebrew scripture, it does make sense to expect some recognition of the language beyond what we normally might based purely on the size of the Jewish population. I wouldn't expect a religious Christian to know Hebrew but I'd expect quite a few to know what it is and what it looks like.

That said, there are of course plenty of people even in the South who have no interest in religion so it's still not terribly surprising that someone from NC wouldn't recognize the language on sight.

edit: there's also the fact that, conspiracy theories aside, there really are quite a lot of Jewish people working in American media and a high representation of Jewish celebrities in American culture, so we might seem like a "bigger" minority than we really area. Part of this is because the cities where most of our media is made are cities with large Jewish populations.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 14, 2014

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Earwicker posted:

Well no I don't think it has anything to do with Israel. While obviously Jewish people are a fairly small minority in terms of actual numbers, there is still the fact that a huge portion of the US is Christian and our culture is heavily influenced by the Christian religion. Since Christianity descends from Judaism, and since many Christians still consider the Old Testament to be a sacred text, and said text is based largely on Hebrew scripture, it does make sense to expect some recognition of the language beyond what we normally might based purely on the size of the Jewish population. I wouldn't expect a religious Christian to know Hebrew but I'd expect quite a few to know what it is and what it looks like.

This was my immediate response, thinking about Sunday school, but then I remembered how little some people retain from regular school.

Frankly I think everyone should be able to recognize Hebrew regardless of religious background, but I don't expect them to actually be able to.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Casca posted:

I grew up in rural north central Texas where none of the surrounding towns had any Jewish residents at all. Currently the west Texas city I live in now has one synagogue that serves 60 families who are spread out into smaller towns over a 70 mile radius. I don't think I've actually met a practicing Jew in person, ever.

I went to synaoguge here in south dakota once on rosh hashana. There were 12 of us. On rosh hashana. Says something when that's the turnout for a high holy day.

When i went to college in WV, I had to introduce my college roommate who came from a little tiny coal town in the middle of nowhere to someone who i had gone to high school with (I'm from NJ) to show that yes, Jewish people do still exist, they weren't wiped completely off the face of the planet in the holocaust. (for real, she thought they all died in WWII)

The US has a huge Jewish population, it's just centered in NY/NJ/PA/CT and CA.

\/\/\/ yeah but most of those started up in the NE and got sick of snow, so they're at heart NY/NJ guys. Also means FL is the only other state to get Wawa, so gently caress florida.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 14, 2014

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

AA is for Quitters posted:

I went to synaoguge here in south dakota once on rosh hashana. There were 12 of us. On rosh hashana. Says something when that's the turnout for a high holy day.

When i went to college in WV, I had to introduce my college roommate who came from a little tiny coal town in the middle of nowhere to someone who i had gone to high school with (I'm from NJ) to show that yes, Jewish people do still exist, they weren't wiped completely off the face of the planet in the holocaust. (for real, she thought they all died in WWII)

The US has a huge Jewish population, it's just centered in NY/NJ/PA/CT and CA.

also South Florida

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
Well, there is an apocryphal story about a Japanese businessman trying to fit in Miami beach, only to overhear the bartenders complaining about those loving japs. And some poor bastard is stuck explaining that the bartenders have nothing against the Japanese, they just hate dealing with Jewish American Princesses.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 15, 2014

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

No, the replies have been, "There are few/no Jewish influences where I live, so why should I be expected to recognize the Hebrew alphabet?" Shoot, I live in a city in NYS, and despite the kosher section in almost every grocery store around here, deliberate exposure to Jewish culture isn't that much of a thing around here. The last time I was taught anything about the Hebrew alphabet was in elementary school, and that was just so we could play with dreidels.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Sheep-Goats posted:

Like Coney Island Ave and Ave R. I don't know the Brooklyn neighborhood names very well because Queens.

If they were hasidim they weren't in uniform.

That's really strange. I wonder if you maybe stepped into some kind of inside joke? I live in a neighborhood that's heavy with both Hasidic and Orthodox jews and I've never heard of this or seen anything like this happen. I've had to go turn on and off various appliances for people on Shabbot and holidays, and I've had to stop and listen to shofars but I've never seen anyone try to get a gentile to wear a yarmulke.

Or maybe it's just particular to that group. I live on the other side of the country and I know the Jewish community around me is pretty different from what I've read of the ones in Brooklyn.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Bobbie Wickham posted:

No, the replies have been, "There are few/no Jewish influences where I live, so why should I be expected to recognize the Hebrew alphabet?" Shoot, I live in a city in NYS, and despite the kosher section in almost every grocery store around here, deliberate exposure to Jewish culture isn't that much of a thing around here. The last time I was taught anything about the Hebrew alphabet was in elementary school, and that was just so we could play with dreidels.

Well no poo poo, who would deliberately surround themselves with Jews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Well, this thread served it's purpose on the second post.

• Locked thread