Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What ye old timey rasslin have you been watching? Tell us all about it!

I've been watching Mid-South from 1984 its gotten so good I just gotta tell people about it. I'm gonna admit, it's ironically funny but also unironically great. Here are my notes:

Lord Pants Souplay Station: Mid-South 1-19-1984 - Libertarian, not racist.

Previously on MSW…

Jim Cornette (a Rich momma’s boy) and the Midnights sneak attacked the Mid-South Tag Champs Mr. Wrestling II and Magnum TA (‘Pearl Harboured’, to be precise). They ko’d Rasslin’ and then tarred and feathered Magnum to prove they were ‘chickens’ for not giving them a title match.

After the amazing Synth-clavier intro we joined by Cowboy Bill Watts and Boyd Pearce. They announce Volkoff v Taylor, the debut of Buddy Landell, a Rick Rood match and the debut of the Rock and Roll Express.

But first, Bill Watts tells us he interviewed Jim Cornette.

Watts says that he’s seen a lot of managers, but they were all tough athletes, not like him who is arrogant, rude and a mommas boy that brags about using his mother’s money to get what he wants. Cornette talks about how ‘Rich people don’t need to sweat, why work for something when I can call my mother and get her to buy it for me?’

We then cut to a taped interview within a taped interview and we see Rasslin’ and Magnum being interviewed after winning the titles. Wrasslin’ is in a suit, amazing.

Cornette interrupts and says how come they haven’t got a title shot. Rasslin says any time, but Mid-South decides who gets the title shots. Cornette calls Magnum ‘a frustrated sex symbol’ and Rasslin’ ‘just frustrated.’ And they’re chickens, and they’ll regret it. He then storms off.

Magnum says ‘(Cornette) would be at home in a hen house. And not as a rooster

Back to the first interview. Cowboy says Cornette's attack is like the ‘klan running ‘ruffshod over “some folks"'. I swear to god, this is true. Cowboy says that in wrestling you take your opponents head on. Cornette says his only honor is ‘what I want I get’.

They then show Wrasslin’s promo after the match, talking in a fiery way that ‘talking of chickens, there’s going to be a plucking’ which sounded like “a loving”. Magnum sells the humiliation of it,and they’ll take them ‘any time any place’.

Back to the first taped interview, Cornette says “we’re just having fun, but if you want to get serious we’ll get serious. If you don’t give us a title shot we’ll do something that we won’t regret, but they will.” Watts says that they’re going to give them a five thousand dollar fine. Cornette replys that “That’s just a phone call to momma”. Cornette leaves and Watts says when he’s around him his palms get itchy and sweaty because you just want to BACKHAND him.

Match 1: Terry Taylor v Nikoli Volkoff Nick Darso

Volkoff is ‘injured’ so Nick Darso says he’ll take him again. Terry is standing up against those Russians, where Darso’s gimmick is he was all american but he ‘turned’ on USA and is a traitor and alligned with Volkoff.

Taylor has the advantage, but of course Volkoff hits the ring with a rope and attempts to hang Terry Taylor, and succeeds despite Taylor fighting them off, and it takes Rick Rood and some other geek to make the save to help him.

Bryan/Cena eat your heart out!

Note, last week the Russians put out an open challenge and Taylor accepted it and was winning until they cheated to win, and now obviously because they're heels they want revenge for him making them look bad.

Match 2: Midnight Express v Roger Bond & Mike Jackson

Rasslin’ II and Magnum TA are on guest commentary. They talk about how they really want to get their hands on them but they’ll respect the rules and won’t interfere in the match. Boyd Pearce tells them there’s a $2500 fine if they interfere. JR does the introduction of the jobber geeks. Cornette grabs the mike and taunts the champs. Rasslin’ is literally restraining Magnum from hitting the ring. Cornette says you better 'put those belts up before they do something serious' and they should 'just pay the fine and come at them'. Wrasslin’ tells Magnum to watch the match so they can ‘scout their moves’. The Midnights crush the jobbers before doing a spike piledriver after the match and just start to beat on the jobbers. Wrasslin’ tells Magnum to ‘stay here’ as they start to tar & feather the jobbers but Magnum can't take it and storms the ring. Wrasslin’ follows and the two teams brawl as they cut to commercial to ‘restore order’

This is so cool. Also note, that when they won the titles Mr Wrestling II put over how Magnum "listened to what he told him to do" that they were a team. But you see, they piss them off so bad Magnum stops listening to him. Wrestling, man.

After, Watts says they’ll have to pay the fine, but he would do it too in their shoes.

Match 3: “Nature Boy” Buddy Landell v Mike Starbuck

Landell hits and slaps the jobber because he’s a nasty heel. On commentary they talk about how the Midnights aren’t getting a title shot because they don’t want to encourage ‘bad behavior’ and Watts is worried that the whole thing will get too far out of hand. Landell beats the Jobber, that’s pretty much it.

Match 4: Mickey Henry v Brian Adidas

Watts talks about how Adidas is the Dallas TV champ, and speaking of, Mid South is going to have a tournament to crown the first Mid South TV championship. Adidas wins with a sloppy-rear end inside cradle.

Match 5: Rick Rood v Masao Ito

Rood goes for the handshake before the match but nothing doing. Watts puts over Rood and how great he’ll be one day. Ito wins by choking him until blood comes up. And Ito won’t break the hold. The geeks hit the ring and Ito takes them out one after one. You see the problem is he’s japanese and he doesn’t speak english.

They run down the card for next week, including a ‘surpise’ match. They do this so fast I can't jot down the names. It's pretty much jobber matches involving all the stars not on this show, ie: Duggan and Anvil, JYD etc.

And now it’s the Rock and Roll Express video. “Girls hold on.”

Also, note the imperial japan flag on the t-shirt

Wow. Okay they’re wearing tight shirts. And they are near a Corvette. There’s that wonky eye. Yup this is the Rock ‘n’ Roll Express. Then there’s footage of them in other promotions. Everytime Joan Jett sings ‘put another dime in the jukebox baby’ they put a dime in the jukebox. Then there’s lots of footage of girls kissing them.

Hey guys, wrestling.

Finally, we return to the commentary desk for summation and to run down next week's card. Which is easy to do when you tape tv a month at a time or whatever. Boyd Pearce says Cornette pisses him off so much, he wants to fight him. Watts then adds ‘it’s one thing when a man insults you...

...but it’s another when it’s a sissy who does it.

Oh Bill. :allears:

Mid South Wrestling is awesome.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread