Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
I'm an air traffic controller by trade, but for years I've been nursing a dream of becoming a sports play-by-play broadcaster. Since I was a kid I've commentated along with games, and years ago I was part of TsN (The Tribes Shoutcast Network/Team Sportcast Network) and covered online games (mostly Tribes 2 and Battlefield 1942 to give you an idea of how long ago it was). Right now I've been practicing with NFL games, putting the sound on mute and recording my own play-by-play track. I'm moving back to Wisconsin in December, and a lot of my friends play in a local hockey league out there. My plan is to try and broadcast a few of their games (that is, record the commentary and then put it up for download for the players afterward), and then if that goes well, head to my local high school this summer and see if they're interested in having me do some of their sports (football, hockey, baseball and volleyball are the sports I know best, though I'd be happy to branch out) in a webcast format.

I'm looking for advice on these first few steps, and any general advice on broadcasting. Specifically:
How do you go about approaching a high school to get permission for something like this?
Any equipment recommendations? (I've spend a lot of time reading about podcast setups, but I've had trouble finding specific information about sports broadcasting)
Any recommendations for books, youtube vids, etc. to help learn the art of play-by-play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horribleslob
Nov 23, 2004
Try putting commentary over already popular clips.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Eli Gold, the radio voice of Alabama's football team/former NASCAR PBP for TNN/current NASCAR and SportsCar PBP voice for Motor Racing Network, talks in the first couple chapters of his book of how he went from selling peanuts in the 1960s as a teenager at Madison Square Garden to writing to New York-area sports broadcasters for advice to finally working his way into an internship with MSG (I haven't gotten past this point in the book yet, but you get how that worked out for him with a career in the NHL/NASCAR/CFB/NFL).

I'd imagine you could translate that to 21st Century terms through not being afraid to ask questions/send emails/get your foot in the door places. If you're on Twitter, his handle is @EliGoldBama; he's fairly likely to respond.

• Locked thread