Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B-Hard
Feb 23, 2012

Are you talking to me or my ass?
What is causing all this?

:george:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXm7HPk-q3Q

Like many of you, I became familiar with this man through the SA forums. I always thought he was interesting and I wanted to learn more about him. For those of you who don't know who he is, let this trailer be your introduction.

My name is Brandon Hardesty, and I co-directed this short documentary about George with a friend of mine, Kenny Johnson, a Baltimore-based filmmaker. Two years ago, I brought up the idea of doing a documentary to George, seeing as he lived only four hours away from my hometown. After some reluctance and negotiating back and forth, George trusted me enough to let Kenny and I drive down one October night and film him doing his last show of what would technically be his 18th season of "The Gorgeous George Show" on Richmond public access. George was kind enough to let us interview him twice more, and Kenny and I put a 26-minute long documentary together that we've been submitting to film festivals.

Our ultimate goal is to get funding for a full-length documentary. If I still lived in Baltimore, I'd drive down to Richmond every week and interview George. Unfortunately, I'm based in Los Angeles, and Kenny doesn't have the time or resources to devote his life to George.

I will say, it's been an interesting experience making this. For instance: it was my impression that the SA forums stopped caring about George a while ago. The last thread that was ever started about him got way too vindictive and obsessive, and from what I remember, it was gassed. What many of you may not know is that after most people moved on from George and his antics, there's been a small fringe group of maybe 10-12 people that continue to harass him to this day. They've posted his personal information online, dug into his personal life, prank called him incessantly at his house and on his cell phone, left things in his mailbox, even posted a Craigslist ad online "from George" looking for a good time with some anonymous dude, who showed up to George's house in the middle of the night. Honestly, it's ridiculous the poo poo that George continues to put up with. These people who continue to harass him would probably say I'm "defending" George. I'm not necessarily a fan of his show or his brand of comedy (and that's something I've told George), but man. Give the guy a break.

Anyway, if we can't get funding through film festivals, we'll probably try a Kickstarter at some point. In the meantime, enjoy this trailer and let Kenny and I know what you think. Interested? Not interested? Waste of time? Post away.

WHOO!

Update: I've been asked by George to disable the comments on the trailer for the time being. Just letting it be known that this is not something I would normally do, but in working on this project, George and I have had to compromise on some things.

B-Hard fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp

B-Hard posted:

it was my impression that the SA forums stopped caring about George a while ago.

This is true.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

This is a real thing: Those 10 to 12 obsessive people you mentioned are probably at least half of the audience who would pay money to help make a video about this guy longer. Don't misinterpret forums pile-ons as actual interest in something. Maybe if your Kickstarter is like 200 bucks?

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Oct 19, 2014

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Yeah man, who would make or see or fund a movie based on a really old web in-joke.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
As someone who thinks GG is one of the funniest personalities ever (his aggro-arrogance is something that was hugely inspirational on my comedy, and I'm really NOT joking), I am so jealous you got to film this with him, Brandon. Years ago, I tried to give George a cameo in a show we were working on- was willing to fly him out and everything- but he kept suspecting we were trying to prank him and eventually stopped responding to me.

People on this forum are going to keep telling you this is a bad idea, but they're being really narrow-minded. Forget who we know as Gorgeous George- this is a documentary about a bizarre public access show that is somehow still going on, CONFIDENTLY so, for 19 years. I think a lot of general people would be down to see something like that regardless of whether they know who GG was before or not.

Believe it... or freakin' not.

B-Hard
Feb 23, 2012

Rocco posted:

As someone who thinks GG is one of the funniest personalities ever (his aggro-arrogance is something that was hugely inspirational on my comedy, and I'm really NOT joking), I am so jealous you got to film this with him, Brandon. Years ago, I tried to give George a cameo in a show we were working on- was willing to fly him out and everything- but he kept suspecting we were trying to prank him and eventually stopped responding to me.

People on this forum are going to keep telling you this is a bad idea, but they're being really narrow-minded. Forget who we know as Gorgeous George- this is a documentary about a bizarre public access show that is somehow still going on, CONFIDENTLY so, for 19 years. I think a lot of general people would be down to see something like that regardless of whether they know who GG was before or not.

Believe it... or freakin' not.

Thanks Rocco! I agree. Kenny and I didn't make this documentary trying to cater to people who knew him from SA. If I had my way, I would film George every day. And yeah, he's still doing his show. This is his 20th year.

For the record, I saw your video where you mentioned watching his show again, and you mentioned me working on this documentary. Appreciated the kind words. George is still convinced that you're some kind of troll and are in league with this other fringe group of SA posters who still harass him.

Speaking of trolls, the comments on the trailer were ridiculous today. George asked me to disable them because it was getting ugly. There are still a few people who obsess over George and make it their life's mission to ruin him. One of them in particular continues to update George's Encyclopedia Dramatica page, and also prank-called him as recently as a couple weeks ago.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
The man really needs to shave.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I agree with Rocco, I'm excited to see this. Even if I didn't watch every GG video that was posted back in the day this would be an interesting concept for a documentary. A guy who has spent this much time on his public access show and been subject to that much harassment? That's a helluva starting point.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

B-Hard posted:

For the record, I saw your video where you mentioned watching his show again, and you mentioned me working on this documentary. Appreciated the kind words. George is still convinced that you're some kind of troll and are in league with this other fringe group of SA posters who still harass him.

Aw man, that kills me. I legitimately wanted to treat him well and have him act in a role that wasn't just GG. How funny. I guess, what was I expecting?

In any case- we talked about the doc on the front page of Twitch.tv tonight on our stream. Everyone in my group is REALLY looking forward to this.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Trailer makes it seem looks quite well made, and I generally trust what Brandon makes!

(Your video about Anne Ramsey for example? Fantastic and well made!)

The whole GG thing intrigues me, as I was a big fan of watching the prank call videos done by goons here. I lurked a lot and just laughed my rear end off.

I do feel that whole era is over, and that people should leave the man alone now though. Stalking him/Harassing him is especially psychotic, and the people that do that need some serious mental health evaluation.

Cannot wait for this, and cannot wait for more stuff from you in the future Brandon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Hard
Feb 23, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

Trailer makes it seem looks quite well made, and I generally trust what Brandon makes!

My co-director Kenny was nice enough to list me as a co-director, but he is 100% responsible for the way it looks and the way it's edited. I did some camera work and talked with him about what footage we wanted to include, how we want certain things to come across, etc., but Kenny shot and edited the entire piece himself.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I do feel that whole era is over, and that people should leave the man alone now though. Stalking him/Harassing him is especially psychotic, and the people that do that need some serious mental health evaluation.

Definitely. I'm not interested in making fun of him. I really want him to open up to me, honestly. He did to a certain extent, but if we get funding for a full-length, I want him to agree to just tell me all about the ups and downs of his life. And that's just one thing I want to do. Also, if George would ever agree to it, I'd love to interview the people that still harass him. It's scary obsessive and ridiculous.

• Locked thread