Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Possibly the best World War II movie since Saving Private Ryan.

Featuring Brad Pitt as Don 'Wardaddy' Collier, Shia Leboeuf as Boyd 'Bible' Swan, Michael Peña as Trini 'Gordo' Garcia, Jon Bernthal as Grady 'Coon-rear end' Travis and Logan Lerman as Norman Ellison, Fury follows the crew of an American Tank in enemy Germany during the last few months of the war. Depicting the many realities of this war, such as living in the confines of a cramped and bloodied tank, Fury does for tanks what the German-made WWII classic Das Boot did for submarines.

Except for one or two moments, the acting is for the most part very good from all individuals.

For the amateurs or world war II tanks, this movie features the only functioning german Tiger I in existence in the world, loaned by Bovington Tank Museum.

Although a few scenes seemed a bit drawn out, this is a movie you will not regret watching.

I give it 4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

BOOM! You feel the thunderous crack of the tank rounds bursting right in your chest! Before the aftershock finishes rumbling beneath your feet, your brain is wholly focused on one thing: fight or flight.

And fly you should! - to the most technically advanced theater you can find, with the best sound system, and plop yourself right in the middle of all that expensive surround sound, because the sound staging in the battle sequences is unbelievable. You can feel the missiles speed past, and in some sequences, even pick out each individual volley from the others. Several technical interviews highlighted the efforts of the production in getting the sound just right, for instance, the rounds traveling towards the viewer tend to whistle past, while the ones traveling away do not. It's a small detail that none of us have any practical reason for knowing, but when put into technical practice, ends up feeling perfectly real.

The story is difficult to discuss in detail because it's very very simple on paper, a young soldier joins a veteran tank crew and must adapt to falling right into full throttle world war 2 in the heart of germany. The whole story is about that adaptation, the missions the crew takes part are not presented as particularly special (I think, by my casual historical knowledge). The five members of the crew are all great unique characters with interesting personalities, each affected by the pulse of war in their own way. Great acting from everyone in turn. The viewer lives in that cramped tank with those five men- cramped space and cramped emotions- clashing with the young soldier and each other.

The film has a progressive stance on mental health compared to most other WW2 stories, it seems very conscious of things like PTSD, but going further would spoil too much.

As for the visuals, the German landscape is (consciously) limited throughout the whole film by overcast skies and haze, an effect that essentially covers the whole film from start to finish in a dull grey tint. It fits the film in its own way, but don't expect anything even 1% as vibrant and beautiful as The Thin Red Line's staggering visual perfection. I wouldn't know they were in Germany unless they told me, everything just looks generically farmland European, which was perhaps a conscious choice of the production. But the point of the film is what's going on inside and around the tank, and all those shots were well crafted and authentic.

The worst part of the film is right in the middle of the battle sequences, they often cut to the enemy German soldiers yelling things, and added subtitles to those yells for really no reason. I would have chosen to just leave the subtitles off, if not scrap those cuts entirely. It's all just cartoonish video game style phrases and it took me way out of the realism.

But overall, pretty great theater experience, I wouldn't recommend waiting for the DVD.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
After reading the last post, I truly believe that guy should have been the OP for this thread. He wrote what I should have. His description of the general feel for this movie is very accurate.

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The Germans are worse shots than starwars.
Not one hit on any tank from the readied anti-tank guns in the first encounter. Surrounded by panzerfausts 10 ft away - only one hits. Sniper taking 3 shots from 30m on a stationary brad pitt and still only flesh wounding him. I guess a stand off has to be drawn out, but surely there is a way without making them so comically inept.

Saving Private Ryan had excellent immersion with the dust rolling in and believable combat. Hate to be a cynical dickhead but this movie made me want to roll my eyes.
1.5/5

nimh fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Oct 27, 2014

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with
Totally ridiculous. This movie tried to throw in as many cliches as possible including, but not limited to, religion, a person being scared of war, then learning to kill, hardened war heroes, hardened war heroes recalling times that made them cry, love, drunks, impossible odds, and the best leaders ever. However the parts that made me dislike this movie the most was when Brad Pitt was standing on top of his tank firing the .50 cal while the SS are attacking getting slaughtered, and Brad Pitt was just standing there firing. He's out in the open. And the SS don't go around the tank to kill him. And when they finally get him it's because the SS call up a sniper after hours upon hours of fighting. The sniper hits Brad Pitt three times. In the torso. From ~75 meters away.

If you like realistic war movies at all, don't expect anything close to that out of this movie: 2/5

I Am Not Spor fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 25, 2014

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

I Am Not Spor posted:

Totally ridiculous. This movie tried to throw in as many cliches as possible including, but not limited to religion, a person being scared of war, then learning to kill, hardened war heroes, hardened war heroes recalling times that made them cry, love, drunks, impossible odds, and the best leaders ever. However the parts that made me dislike this movie the most was when Brad Pitt was standing on top of his tank firing the .50 cal while the SS are attacking getting slaughtered, and Brad Pitt was just standing there firing. He's out in the open. And the SS don't go around the tank to kill him. And when they finally get him it's because the SS call up a sniper after hours upon hours of fighting. The sniper hits Brad Pitt three times. In the torso. From ~75 meters away.

If you like realistic war movies at all, don't expect anything close to that out of this movie: 2/5

Actually, this scene is not nearly as irealistic as you think. I cant find the reference at this moment, but will try and link it once i get home. There is actually a guy who did that during WWII. Climbed on top of a burning M-10 Tank Destroyer and used the machinegun to mow down a large number of germans. He stopped a whole company by himself. incredible feats were performed in this war. Some that would make you call bullshit if you saw in a movie.

Look itup. Audie Murphy or something like that.
there are a few more badass in history that make Rambo look like a pussy.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 25, 2014

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion
saying it is the best war movie since Saving Private Ryan is quite a stretch here. Quite a stretch. It was entertaining, I will give it that. Watching these relics bounce around and launch rounds down range was fun, and the carnage that ensued was pretty great, but I really had no deep connection with the characters, and overall it was kinda predictable. You pretty much knew what was going to happen once it ramped up. I didn't hate it, but I felt that I really wanted a bit more out of it, especially with the amount of cliches throughout the entire film. I also felt the pacing was way off. It did nail the grimy feel of living in a tank 24/7, in the cold mud, during war.

The movie was a risk, since there really hasn't been a tank focused WWII movie in a long, long time, and I felt it landed some good scenes overall.

3/5

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Cartoon movie for children. Each scene was either historically ridiculous or melodramatic to disbelief.

Did the irony of Inglourious Basterds frighten and anger you? Was the morality of Saving Private Ryan too complex? Go check out Fury. I'll admit part of why I was disgusted was the lack of "tactical realism," which is never a reason to dismiss art, but I still believe that makers of historical films have a certain responsibility to portray battles with some semblance of logic and authenticity. Plus the film fails at everything else too

Some lingering questions about the movie's logic that never quite hashed out, please feel free to answer if you can:

- Why is there a dude riding a horse around some tanks at the start

- Why do they send tanks to attack anti-tank guns head-on
- Why do these anti-tank guns not start firing until the tanks are like 100m away
- Why do these anti-tank guns engage in sequence (each waiting for Our Heroes to destroy the previous before starting to fire) instead of opening up all at once
- Why do these anti-tank guns all miss from essentially point blank range. Like literally one shot goes 10 degrees left of Our Heroes and the next goes 10 degrees right

- Why are the American soldiers so angry that a German is wearing an American's coat, ostensibly making him guilty of killing an American, when the concept of war is that you're allowed to kill each other and everyone does it
- How does shooting a prisoner prove that someone "has what it takes", wouldn't you want a display of bravery and grit instead of the opposites
- If the point of this scene is somehow to demonstrate how hosed up Brad Pitt is, and how much of a toll the war has taken on the Americans' humanity and moral integrity, why does the rest of the film exhibit literally no nuance of this sort at all and instead reinforces constantly how good and brave the Americans are

- If the old German man in the village is aware of both the presence of German soldiers and the approach of the Americans, which means a fight is going to happen, why is he out taking a nice walk with his cane and smoking jacket. Is he mentally retarded
- Why do the Germans shoot the old man when he starts to point to where they are, which reveals their position anyways. Why not snipe Brad Pitt and gently caress up the cohesion of the enemy fighting unit. Is it because the filmmakers want the enemy to be villainous, evil, and cowardly...

- People in my theater actually laughed at the line "Shoulda let them burn" when Misplaced Kid From Saving Private Ryan shoots the Germans who are dying horrifically from white phosphorus
- This means the film is actually really bad, not quality-wise, but in the sense of reinforcing the dehumanization of our enemies in war. We're only in the second act and the film has successfully dismantled the general public's compassion for anyone who's not American

- THis isn't a question either but maybe if you're a filmmaker you should be aware that the "scary hidden enemy turns out to be children" was done by Kubrick a long time ago, in a better way, and then also several times since

- Why is there a really long scene where Brad Pitt and Young Guy From Saving Private Ryan spontaneously re-create the ideal bourgeois family
- Why does the film have zero interest (despite a fleeting awareness) of the hosed-up implications of dominance during this entire scene, did the screenwriter not even go through like, one course of college political theory
- The disruption of this very nice high society gathering by the entrance of a provincial, a racial minority, and a bible-thumper is some D.W. Griffith level barbarism. Fun's over folks, the drunk Mexican and the hick are here, put away the sheet music

- I can't really remember what happens after this, the German girls die to illustrate the cruelty of fate and fragility of life or something. Maybe it would have been more thought-provoking if the film took the realistic route of showing the next group of American soldiers going up to intimidate and basically rape them, and then the next, and the next

- Who would have guessed that only the tank with Brad Pitt in it would have the guts and the smarts to survive the encounter with the Tiger, which was parked in some bushes by itself for some reason, I don't know enough history to say whether this would happen or not. I am yawning and feeling sleepy by this point

- Who would have guessed that, one by one, the crew would volunteer to stay behind with their fearless sergeant, it's not any surprise if you've been paying attention but from here on out you are definitely on a very familiar cinematic rollercoaster with no new twists or turns whatsoever

- Why are there like six separate shots of the Germans firing machine guns at a tank lmao, like, look out guys they're firing more rifle caliber bullets at your up-armored vehicle
- The Germans are more or less orcs in this scene, I'm not gonna belabor it

- To state one example, why does the tank's armor drastically muffle the sound of Youngster With Tarnished Innocence firing his bow-gun. Being inside a tank and firing its weapons in combat (especially with tons of the dipshit subhuman enemy firing small arms at it from all sides) should be loud as gently caress and insanely scary and, besides being inauthentic and Hollywood-y, this a missed chance to make the scene more exciting and memorable

- Why does the film decide to do the cute "the enemy is human with feelings too" scene immediately after we just watched Buff Pitt and the fearless cast of Saving Private Ryan brutally murk hundreds of them with grenades, machine guns, pistols, and cannon shells
- Is the film, in its last moments, actually trying to trick us into thinking it has nuance

1/5. If someone invites you to this, tell them to go gently caress themselves. Other people in my theater seemed to actually like it, but I also heard several of them say "that looks funny" after the Dumb and Dumber To trailer.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Long ago after starting down the road to get my MA in history, I made a deal with myself that I would try to not be as critical or judgmental towards movies and TV shows if they were based on some historical event. So that I could try actually enjoy them for what they are, entertainment, and not documentaries on whatever historical period they take place in. Granted there have been a few exceptions to this rule (movies/shows billing themselves as hyper realistic), but for the most part it's made enjoying things much easier.

Is Fury historically accurate? No, not really. Little things here and there were good (and it gave me the urge to re-read Ian Kershaw's The End again, but for the most part, it's a gritty action movie that happens to take place during WWII, not a hyper realistic representation of tank warfare or the final months of the ETO in WWII.

Is it enjoyable to watch? Sure is, so long as you don't sperg the gently caress out over the lack of spalling or why the Germans didn't just flank the tank at the crossroads and hit it from the rear with a Panzerfaust instead of charging it head on while watching it.

It's not the best movie I've ever seen, but I enjoyed it for what it was. Not as good as End of Watch though.

4/5

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 31, 2014

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

It had some nice visuals and sound if you saw it in the theater. The plot alternated between incoherence and cliche. If you didn't roll your eyes at the ham-fisted tale of love and loss that finally turns our young rookie into a real fighting man, then I don't know what to tell you.

This movie had much more in common with We Were Soldiers than Saving Private Ryan.

2/5

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Definitely wasn't feeling this one. I don't even have a lot to say about this one other than "trying too hard". I felt a lot of the scenes were pushing for an emotional feeling that I just wasn't getting. Acting was great, though! I loved every character and the dialogue between them was wonderful. The rest, not so much. 2/5.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
A band of soldiers battle hardened in Africa now find themselves in Europe. They are joined by an inexperienced and naive soldier used to administrative tasks. He tries to be friendly but his new unit treats him roughly. They are scoundrels but they respect the commanding officer.

Their difficult mission will see graphic, realistic violence, moral dilemmas (treating a captured enemy soldier) and tough choices. Do what's right or what will keep you alive? They choose the latter but their commander will persuade them to do what's right.

They will die, one by one (except for the rookie), and the commander will be the last to die, fighting enemy even when mortally wounded. Despite that, their mission will be successful.

OK, what movie was that? That was a trick question: both! Saving Private Ryan and Fury share so many elements that it borders with plagiarism.

Is it a good movie? Up to a point. Acting is good and so are special effects, but military buffs will be quick to point out that the supposedly realistic portrayal of war is full of absurd situations. The worst of them is Rambo-style battle in the end in which elite soldiers perish in droves while running with rifles around an immobile tank.

Not a great war movie but definitely better than American Sniper!
3/5

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Doctor Malaver posted:

Not a great war movie but definitely better than American Sniper!

THIS. Also Shia TheBeef did a great job.

3/5

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Some of the worst acting, worst writing, worst directing I've seen in a war movie in a long time. Each main character death was followed by a meaningful cease fire to reflect on the valuable snowflake that just melted. Utter garbage.

2, because at least they had Garands, even though most of the cast were directed to shoot from the hip at all times.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 5, 2015

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
5ed. Loved what this movie had to say about fanaticism and fighting towards the bitter end. Ie. the SS were total assholes.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
This almost made me resubscribe to WoT. Very good tonking scenes.

The rest of the movie, as many people said, trying way too hard. German stormtroopering was laughable. You mean a couple of American mofos from say Band of Brothers wouldn't be able to kill an immobilized tank and its crew in 3 minutes using breadsticks or something, whereas a whole company of Panzerfaust-toting SS couldn't do it under cover of darkness no less? Oh please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
A very entertaining movie that you should watch. Maybe some day, technology will allow for an accurate reproduction of WWII, complete with live ammunition and dying actors, in the meantime this is a solid shot. As for the tank nuts, you get to see a genuine Tiger in motion which is more than can be said for just about any movie ever. 4/5