Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I went to MHoW for the first time last week to see Ex Hex and liked it a lot, plus it's the closest venue to me, so I'll definitely at least try for a ticket there. I'm surprised it has half the capacity of Irving Plaza; it feels larger but I guess that's just because of how tall the room is (it definitely isn't as long/deep as Irving).

There's no way I'm getting tickets for T5 though; what a terrible place. I seriously think it's the worst venue in the city, taking into account the number of bands that I want to see that go through there :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Pitchfork show opened with the double whammy of The Fox and Jumpers. :aaaaa: It set the mood for the entire show which was amazing. That fakeout encore was great.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's ridiculous to imagine they ever don't open sets with The Fox.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That whole set was extremely my poo poo. I was in front of the big screen just a little ways away from stage left. Carrie has so much swag.

There was also a couple basically dry humping their way through the whole set in my peripheral vision (or occasionally in my direct line of sight). I know music is deeply personal and we all feel it differently, but that strikes me as a...weird way to react to Sleater-Kinney.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Henchman of Santa posted:

That whole set was extremely my poo poo. I was in front of the big screen just a little ways away from stage left. Carrie has so much swag.

There was also a couple basically dry humping their way through the whole set in my peripheral vision (or occasionally in my direct line of sight). I know music is deeply personal and we all feel it differently, but that strikes me as a...weird way to react to Sleater-Kinney.

You get a lot of non-fans at festival gigs. Sounds like those folks needed to be at a Five Finger Death Punch show.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Happy Hippo posted:

You get a lot of non-fans at festival gigs. Sounds like those folks needed to be at a Five Finger Death Punch show.

That would be even weirder.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I was on the right a few rows back from the stage. I was directly under one of the lights shining out from the stage but thankfully they only used that during Surface Envy; would've been a bit much too much for the whole set. There was a group of people moshing in front of me which seemed a little odd but not completely out there.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
resurrecting this thread to say I finally went to the show I apparently bought tickets for back in June (!?). Irving Plaza was a solid mid-size venue to see them in, still would have preferred MHoW but I'll take it.

I also, uh, never got around to listening to The Woods before seeing them, which left me a little lost given the setlist included half of it. Now I'm listening to it and it might be my favorite of their albums. Either way, they played "Was It a Lie?," which is one of my favorite songs of theirs, and apparently the shows this month are the first time they've played it since reuniting :3: (the only other deep cuts I would have liked to hear would be A Quarter to Three or The Size of Our Love, neither of which they've played in 15 years according to setlist.fm, so, y'know, probably not likely)

Oh, and, like all the NYC shows besides the Kings Theatre one (which my roommate went to and really liked), we got this in the encore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBMZ4taVB4A

e: oh, and I'm actually super glad I got a ticket for Irving Plaza because Perfect Pussy opened and they rocked in front of a completely baffled crowd save for me and maybe 10 other people. At one point some dude in front yelled at them to "tone it down" which is maybe the single dumbest thing I've ever seen at a concert, but he got pretty mercilessly booed and shredded by Meredith, so eh. It was also sort of relaxing standing in a stationary crowd compared to the last time I saw them, which was the only time I've ever been concerned I might die in a mosh pit

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Dec 17, 2015

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

abraham linksys posted:

resurrecting this thread to say I finally went to the show I apparently bought tickets for back in June (!?). Irving Plaza was a solid mid-size venue to see them in, still would have preferred MHoW but I'll take it.

I went to all five nights. I'm glad I did, too, because these were their last shows for a while. It was funny to see that, despite the Market Hotel show being the last show in support of No Cities to Love, they cut the titular song from their set list. Seeing Rock Lobster being performed four nights in a row grew a little tiresome, but then Fred Armisen walked off the stage and decided to lie down in a heap of people right next to me at one point.

The custom t-shirts they all wore on stage for the encore were awesome; I totally want the "Whorin' for Corin" shirt that Carrie wore last night

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I am so loving jealous. Going to Pitchfork already cost me a small fortune so these shows were entirely out of the question. Anyone here read Carrie's book? I'm going to the last Q&A event she's doing for it today.

E: amongst other things Carrie had stories from the NYC tour. For Rock Lobster Fred had the song lyrics written on a cowbell and would read them off while pretending to play it. And the custom t-shirts were inspired by the Janet loving Weiss shirts fans wore.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 18, 2015

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
^ what up avatar buddy

Did they play "Fade" at any of the shows this year? I know it doesn't necessarily lend itself to a live performance but just curious.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

^ :hf:

I don't think they've played Fade or Hey Darling at all. Pretty sure they're the only tracks off of the new album that haven't been played live, but I could be wrong.

Well according to these stats here they've played Hey Darling 8 times and haven't played Fade at all.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 19, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That's dumb, Hey Darling is the best song on the album.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Here's a great article on how they developed the set lists for the five New York shows: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/18/arts/music/sleater-kinneys-five-nights-in-new-york-the-art-of-a-set-list.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

If anyone wants to watch last week's show at Market Hotel, this one guy filmed the entire thing and uploaded it to YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN4PDI1VDHY

• Locked thread