Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
Oh! And here's an in-depth analysis of the game by video game producer Alex Lifschitz! It's not a large segment since he also talks about other stuff, but I think he compares it to GTAV somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Powercrazy posted:

How did you hear about Depression Quest OP?

I saw it on Steam when looking for "new releases" real fast once :)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Endorph posted:

Depression Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime

also realpost, the way it greys out the more reasonable options but still shows them to you when you let your depression get really extreme is a kind of neat representation of depression, but besides that the whole game's pretty 'eh.'

It is a fairly accurate representation in my case, at least. When it hits hard, I'm well aware of what the right thing to dois especially with respect to pulling out (heh) but actually doing so is near as damnit impossible

Forums hilarity aside I'm glad someone is trying to say something about it, even if it probably won't amount to much because Internet :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

itt I realpost in a Widestancer games thread (a grave error)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

It is a fairly accurate representation in my case, at least. When it hits hard, I'm well aware of what the right thing to dois especially with respect to pulling out (heh) but actually doing so is near as damnit impossible
Yeah I feel you, depression runs in my family and while I haven't really gotten hit that hard by it my brother has it crazy bad and it seemed to be pretty accurate to his situation.

Ciaphas posted:

itt I realpost in a Widestancer games thread (a grave error)
widestancer just wants us to post and be free

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

How is the game on Steam if it's browser based html pages? Does the Steam page just link to it or something?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

I played this game at 3AM because I couldn't bear the idea of sleep and it made me feel better, which is the opposite of what happened with Actual Sunlight. So I think I'd recommend this one more.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the person who made this game has implants aka dues ex, but just to log on to twitter faster

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

Great showcase for idtech6 however.
MegaJpegs

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Ciaphas posted:

Forums hilarity aside I'm glad someone is trying to say something about it, even if it probably won't amount to much because Internet :shrug:

Have you tried grabbing onto your bootstraps and pulling yourself up?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The quickest way to cure depression is by having sex

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Where is the option to make my hero smoke cannabis and look at anime on the internet?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

It can have that effect as shown by several studies!

I wasn't depressed on our honeymoon that's for sure.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I'm deathly afraid that I get nasty side effects from anti-depressants so I just get drunk instead.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
Any good tool-assisted speedruns of this bad boy?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Widestancer posted:

It can have that effect as shown by several studies!

I wasn't depressed on our honeymoon that's for sure.

lmao.. I think that's because borderlands: the pre sequel came out

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Ekster posted:

I'm deathly afraid that I get nasty side effects from anti-depressants so I just get drunk instead.

Depends on the pills. In my experience the anti-depressants help get rid of the nasty side effect that is being a bad depressed person.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Dr Snofeld posted:

Depends on the pills. In my experience the anti-depressants help get rid of the nasty side effect that is being a bad depressed person.

Look at this big pharma sheep. I only trust cannabis and hard liquor thank you very much.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Liquid Penguins posted:

Where is the option to make my hero smoke cannabis and look at anime on the internet?

One of the best post/av combos I have personally seen.

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Ridin' on a Mershaq back.
The fact that there is a win/lose state in this game is super weird. Also the fact that choice boils down to:

Say that you're sad to your cool and understanding gf.
Say that you're sad to your cool and understanding gf in a sad voice because of your depression.
Don't say that you're sad because you can deal with this on your own.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Endorph posted:

Depression Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime

also realpost, the way it greys out the more reasonable options but still shows them to you when you let your depression get really extreme is a kind of neat representation of depression, but besides that the whole game's pretty 'eh.'

Yeah, there are things I like about it but the way it deals with therapy and medication feels a little facile. Like, if you go on medication there's one scene where you experience side effects and that's it, it doesn't really go into the amount of time and effort it takes a lot of people to find medication that works for them or the financial and other issues involved with accessing therapy. It does have a little disclaimer thing that acknowledges it only presents a limited perspective of depression, at least.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

I AM BRAWW posted:

Ahh.. what else is the first person known for? Any other video games under her belt?

Zoe Quinn also did voice acting for the First Person Adventure game Jazzpunk, a hilarious pastiche of classic spy movies.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
I don't think this game is quite for me sadly.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Realtalk this game was good to show to people to get them to understand that yes, I do know if I just Did The Right Things it would All Get Better but sometimes my brain just tells me to eat poo poo instead and there's nothing I can do about that. Knowing what to do doesn't necessarily help, and all.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

The quickest way to cure depression is by getting a better job

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

The quickest way to cure depression is to carry harder

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the quickest way to cure depression is to look at this snake

look at this loving snake

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo that was worse than gone homo. It's like some high-schooler wrote it during recess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigass jncos
Dec 3, 2007

Ridin' on a Mershaq back.

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Holy poo poo that was worse than gone homo. It's like some high-schooler wrote it during recess.

Ilustforponydeath is after more than just people who like the girly cartoon. This time he's on the hunt for hipster games of all kinds and he doesn't care who gets hurt.

• Locked thread