Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is this "book" of which you speak?
This poll is closed.
Shirley Jackson, We Have Always Lived in the Castle 5 27.78%
Robertson Davies, The Fifth Business 2 11.11%
Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart 4 22.22%
Richard Flanagan, The Narrow Road to the Deep North 2 11.11%
John Gardner, Grendel 5 27.78%
Total: 18 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, here are the poll options for next month's book of the month. Vote early, vote often! As always, though, please only vote if you plan on actually reading that book and posting something about it afterwards in the thread.. Doesn't have to be a witty or brilliant comment or anything, "this book was too loving long" or whatever is fine, just please if you vote for a book think of it as making some minimal commitment to actually participate in next month's thread if that book is selected. Thanks!

Shirley Jackson, We Have Always Lived in the Castle

quote:

My name is Mary Katherine Blackwood. I am eighteen years old, and I live with my sister Constance. I have often thought that with any luck at all I could have been born a werewolf, because the two middle fingers on both my hands are the same length, but I have had to be content with what I had. I dislike washing myself, and dogs, and noise. I like my sister Constance, and Richard Plantagenet, and Amanita phalloides, the death-cup mushroom. Everyone else in my family is dead.

Robertson Davies, The Fifth Business

quote:

Fifth Business is a 1970 novel by Canadian playwright, critic, journalist, and professor Robertson Davies. It is the first instalment of the Deptford Trilogy and is a story of the life of the narrator, Dunstan Ramsay. It is Davies' best-known novel[1] and has been called his finest.[2]

First published by Macmillan of Canada in 1970, Fifth Business was selected 40th on the American Modern Library's "reader's list" of the 100 best novels of the 20th century.[3]

Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart

quote:

Things Fall Apart is a novel written by Nigerian author Chinua Achebe in 1958. It is seen as the archetypal modern African novel in English, one of the first to receive global critical acclaim. It is a staple book in schools throughout Africa and is widely read and studied in English-speaking countries around the world. It was first published in 1958 by William Heinemann Ltd in the UK; in 1962, it was also the first work published in Heinemann's African Writers Series. The title of the novel comes from W. B. Yeats' poem "The Second Coming".[1]

The novel shows the life of Okonkwo, a leader and local wrestling champion in Umuofia, one of a fictional group of nine villages in Nigeria, which is inhabited by the Igbo people (in the novel, "Ibo"). It describes his family and personal history, the customs and society of the Igbo, and the influence of British colonialism and Christian missionaries on the Igbo community during the late nineteenth century.

Richard Flanagan, The Narrow Road to the Deep North

quote:

The Narrow Road to the Deep North is Richard Flanagan's critically acclaimed[1][2] and 2014 Man Booker Prize-winning[3] sixth novel. The book tells the story of Dorrigo Evans, an Australian doctor haunted by a wartime love affair with his uncle's wife. Post war, he finds his growing celebrity as a war hero at odds with his sense of his own failings and guilt.

Taking its title from 17th century haiku poet Matsuo Bashō's famous haibun, Oku no Hosomichi,[4] best known in English as The Narrow Road to the Deep North, the novel is epic in form and chronicles an Australian century, with one horrific day at its heart on the Burma Railway in August 1943. As that day builds to its climax, the novel grows to encompass the post war lives of Japanese and Korean prison guards as well as Australian Far East Prisoners of War. The novel deals both with the effects of war and the many forms of love.

John Gardner, Grendel

quote:

Grendel is a 1971 novel by American author John Gardner. It is a retelling of part of the Anglo-Saxon epic poem Beowulf from the perspective of the antagonist, Grendel. In the novel, Grendel is portrayed as an antihero. The novel deals with finding meaning in the world, the power of literature and myth, and the nature of good and evil.

In a 1973 interview, Gardner said that "In Grendel I wanted to go through the main ideas of Western Civilization – which seemed to me to be about . . . twelve? – and go through them in the voice of the monster, with the story already taken care of, with the various philosophical attitudes (though with Sartre in particular), and see what I could do, see if I could break out".[1]

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, It's gonna be Grendel, because it's a tie and I have a first edition of Grendel and have always wanted to talk about it. Other poll candidates may return in future.

I'll get the official post up later today.

• Locked thread