Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

That's not the same. :(

Also, has anybody ever realized that you just need to affix your cheat sheet to the camera itself and you will have no way of ever noticing?
They have to show us the webcam with a mirror.

photomikey posted:

can you post a screen shot of how the camera is pointed? It must be aside the student, right, if you can see the monitor and the student at the same time?

Tony Montana posted:

If you look at the courses he is taking exams for above, it's more clear why this approach is economically viable.
We are getting bigger clients, but yeah those were just random classes pulled off the schedule of another person, (after sanitizing of info.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I work with a university's in-house test proctoring department for their own online classes that want to do monitored tests in person, and they've had some debate with higher ups about whether they're a better option than contracting an online service like ProctorU. So serious brick and mortar institutions, not just University of Phoenix, are considering using services like this to save money.

That being said, a lot of the specific criticisms of online proctoring from this thread have also been brought up by the in-house department.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Turtlicious posted:

They have to show us the webcam with a mirror.
Dammit. I suck at cheating.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Cardiovorax posted:

I would think the constant eye-glances toward the camera would raise suspicion also.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kellsterik posted:

I work with a university's in-house test proctoring department for their own online classes that want to do monitored tests in person, and they've had some debate with higher ups about whether they're a better option than contracting an online service like ProctorU. So serious brick and mortar institutions, not just University of Phoenix, are considering using services like this to save money.

That being said, a lot of the specific criticisms of online proctoring from this thread have also been brought up by the in-house department.

Well, if you notice the only one I can think of that could be taken seriously was the router forwarding thing, as I'm not 100% sure there is a way to detect that client side, which would mean they'd be able to re-direct data, though I'm pretty sure if they use a secure browser. ProctorU, another company, works really well when it comes to volume, in fact they are the only company right now besides I think Kryterion that can handle the volume a major institution would want to put out.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cardiovorax posted:

It's not necessarily that you think of cheating, it's that we have a lot of people who try cheating, and so we update our methods when we catch something new.

Also there are two kinds of cheating, lots of people try to sneak in notes or extra info, or answer sheets into the exam. These can be prevented pretty easily, and doesn't really hurt anyone except for themselves. It does stem from a much larger, shittier kind of cheating.

Which is when people try to sneak the questions out. The reason the first guy has the answers to the exam, is because there was a guy before him who was able to get the questions out and google the answers. This really is the biggest thing we try to avoid, because if they don't know the questions before they see them, the best they can come in with is some notes. For those notes to be effective they have to have a lot of information, which means they have to be large.

I did have a guy with a note-card using type 4 font and a magnifying glass (he was allowed a 3x5 notecard with notes.) It was kind of funny, but I had to reach out to an institution, and his teacher eventually allowed it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The port mirroring on a switch/router thing would absolutely be undetectable, and would result in the person taking the exam having a full copy of everything - both the questions on the exam, and the answers they gave. As well as any software communication back to your location that could be analysed later to determine the methods you use to detect cheating.

You would need someone that knows a hell of a lot about networking to make it happen, but someone who runs one of those "pay for the questions and answers" sites could easily do it.

You could encrypt all the traffic (and I'm sure you do), but the key has to reside in memory on the local computer, and could be pulled after the exam.

Edit: I also doubt that you could detect a properly sandboxed VM.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 19, 2014

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
No one who knows that much about networking and virtualization are going to be taking these tests in the first place. I'd expect them working in I.T somewhere making good money.

I can think of an easier method to get around it would just require a second person, hidden earbuds and a hidden webcam. Simple enough. Still effort which knowing cheaters wouldn't be worth the cost or trouble. 1 in a 1000 if that.

I'm surprised how creepy people are with this and then I'm not. Hope those people failed out and didn't finish whatever degree they were pissing on.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
have you ever caught someone who has tattooed the answers on the inside of their eyelids?

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Do you work from home or do you go into an office to do this?

Do you have a set schedule, or can you jump in and grab exams to proctor from a pool or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

DropsySufferer posted:

No one who knows that much about networking and virtualization are going to be taking these tests in the first place. I'd expect them working in I.T somewhere making good money.

Yes, making good money for test prep companies.

• Locked thread