Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

I work for an environmental consulting firm and do environmental site assessments and let me tell you, realizing there's a drycleaners within a half mile of our site makes me want to rip my hair out.

Have you ever had issues with chemical releases? Just reading through remediation reports and seeing the invoices the state sends us in the records for their spills makes me question why anyone would enter the business. One gently caress up and you might as well mortgage your entire life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Man you really want back in don't you

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

aidoru posted:

I work for an environmental consulting firm and do environmental site assessments and let me tell you, realizing there's a drycleaners within a half mile of our site makes me want to rip my hair out.

Have you ever had issues with chemical releases? Just reading through remediation reports and seeing the invoices the state sends us in the records for their spills makes me question why anyone would enter the business. One gently caress up and you might as well mortgage your entire life.

I think drycleaning and a laundromat are pretty different. Laundromats don't use any crazy chemicals that aren't already used in any household with a washer and dryer.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
For the record, on the one hand I feel totally betrayed in the loyal order of laundromats (See the sticky thread in GBS for more info), on the other, props to the OP for being able to construct a convincing story.

I suppose I can leave the thread on an appropriately spooky story for the season though.

At the end of the night once, when I was cleaning the store, which mostly just entailed sweeping and mopping, and wiping down the equipment so they didn't have soap stains all over them, I got to one of the top loaders that is completely out of my sight from the dry cleaners counter. It was closed, but not running, so I open it hoping it's not jammed. It's filled to the brim with dark red liquid. :stare: It's ten at night, pitch black outside, with nobody in the store, and I'd already turned off the tvs, so it's dead silent. Apparently my life had just become a slasher movie. I have to do it, I have to reach inside the machine and make sure the agitator isn't jammed on something. :stonklol: Luckily it wasn't, and when I closed it, the machine kicked back into life. Eventually I would realize that someone had been dying their clothes in the machine (something that is clearly stated as being against the rules) and dashed out before I caught them. But I tell you, at the time when I opened that machine and saw it filled with blood-red water, I was one weird noise away from running right out of the building and saying "gently caress it" to finishing my duties.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Choco1980 posted:

For the record, on the one hand I feel totally betrayed in the loyal order of laundromats (See the sticky thread in GBS for more info), on the other, props to the OP for being able to construct a convincing story.

I suppose I can leave the thread on an appropriately spooky story for the season though.

At the end of the night once, when I was cleaning the store, which mostly just entailed sweeping and mopping, and wiping down the equipment so they didn't have soap stains all over them, I got to one of the top loaders that is completely out of my sight from the dry cleaners counter. It was closed, but not running, so I open it hoping it's not jammed. It's filled to the brim with dark red liquid. :stare: It's ten at night, pitch black outside, with nobody in the store, and I'd already turned off the tvs, so it's dead silent. Apparently my life had just become a slasher movie. I have to do it, I have to reach inside the machine and make sure the agitator isn't jammed on something. :stonklol: Luckily it wasn't, and when I closed it, the machine kicked back into life. Eventually I would realize that someone had been dying their clothes in the machine (something that is clearly stated as being against the rules) and dashed out before I caught them. But I tell you, at the time when I opened that machine and saw it filled with blood-red water, I was one weird noise away from running right out of the building and saying "gently caress it" to finishing my duties.

Lol that's a pretty good scare.

Also just remember:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn_PSJsl0LQ

In all sincerity I have a lot more respect for people who run laundromats now. It isn't an easy thing to get into. I did a lot of research about getting into and all the costs and ways to draw people into your laundromats. I guess it is the same for any business, but holy cow you guys go through a TON of water.

E:

Unless any actual laundromat owners want to take over the thread I'm going to close it. I hope this has been somewhat informative.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 30, 2014

• Locked thread