Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you're looking cross-eyed at McCutchen's 6th place vote, please understand Dave Cameron is an idiot always and forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

This might be the first time in my entire life that there is no yankee receiving any mvp votes.

First time since 92, so probably

Also

Dylan Hernandez @dylanohernandez
Fourth-place votes for Kershaw came from San Francisco and Miami chapters of BBWAA.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Cano finished 6th, which is the highest a Mariner has placed since Ichiro won in 2001. That's pretty cool, I guess.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Vertical Lime posted:

First time since 92, so probably

Also

Fourth-place votes for Kershaw came from San Francisco and Miami chapters of BBWAA.

drat, so close. Born in '91.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Benne posted:

Cano finished 6th, which is the highest a Mariner has placed since Ichiro won in 2001. That's pretty cool, I guess.
There was a correction in votes. He was bumped up to 5th

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

New Concept Hole posted:

Add up the WARs BABIPs.

Also Kershaw is the beneficiary of every favorite for MVP getting injured.
Kershaw was also injured this year and missed 6 starts

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Harlock posted:

If you're looking cross-eyed at McCutchen's 6th place vote, please understand Dave Cameron is an idiot always and forever

He literally voted him down because he wasn't clutch.

e: I don't think that Kershaw won because of injuries, but rather because the voters tremendously underrated Andrew McCutchen (the best offensive player in baseball) and thus concluded that there was no really outstanding candidate among NL hitters.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 14, 2014

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Vertical Lime posted:

One was from Andrew Baggarly, who is defending himself on twitter by saying that the 2nd consideration on the MVP ballot is "number of games played."

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Dee Gordon made the ballot but Paul Goldschmidt got left off.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Vertical Lime posted:

lol

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

It's a downballot MVP vote

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
when do we find out who won the bud selig leadership award

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

Mornacale posted:

He literally voted him down because he wasn't clutch.

e: I don't think that Kershaw won because of injuries, but rather because the voters tremendously underrated Andrew McCutchen (the best offensive player in baseball) and thus concluded that there was no really outstanding candidate among NL hitters.

But how can he be the best hitter when he doesn't lead the league in avg, RBI's, or dingers!?

-sports writers

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I'm surprised Rizzo got up to 10th. He missed a lot of time due to injury.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Puig Destroyer's gonna have to re-record the first verse now.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Harlock posted:

I guess he's abandoned fWAR since McCutchen was the best hitter by that stat and Jason Heyward was the 10th best (and got no votes).

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

tadashi posted:

I guess he's abandoned fWAR since McCutchen was the best hitter by that stat and Jason Heyward was the 10th best (and got no votes).

If you read his explanations, basically he is focusing on how clutch hitters are, particularly relative to their overall batting line, so McCutchen got dramatically penalized because of how well he hit with the bases empty. Like, Cameron is constantly bringing up RE24 but he just so happens to obfuscate that McCutchen was 30% better than Posey or Rendon in that statistic. Similarly, he puts stock in Clutch, where McCutchen beat both Rendon and Stanton.

You may also enjoy that he gives Stanton bonus points for being "an above-average defender in right field" because he had a 1.5 UZR/150 (after a -9.9 last season).

Anyway, it is 2014 and Fangraphs says that "probably the best all-around player in the National League" simply was not clutch enough to be a top 5 MVP candidate, welcome to our brave new world.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I have no issues with pitchers winning the MVP (and Kershaw's numbers this season make him a well deserving candidate, compared to Verlander's win), but there should be an OPOTY of some sorts if you're going to have a Cy Young award for pitchers only. Call it the Barry Bonds award. Yeah, I know silver sluggers exist, but those are voted on my coaches / managers.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

seiferguy posted:

I have no issues with pitchers winning the MVP (and Kershaw's numbers this season make him a well deserving candidate, compared to Verlander's win), but there should be an OPOTY of some sorts if you're going to have a Cy Young award for pitchers only. Call it the Barry Bonds award. Yeah, I know silver sluggers exist, but those are voted on my coaches / managers.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3650519&pagenumber=14#post435895151 :colbert:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Hank Aaron award already exists. Stanton and Trout won it

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
They have 8 million awards as is.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Barry Bonds should have won Cy Young in 2002 and 2004

Harlock posted:

The Hank Aaron award already exists. Stanton and Trout won it

And no one cares because Hank Aaron only won one MVP award.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Until they actually start making a big deal out of the Hank Aaron award (and at this point I don't think it would even take) I don't mind limiting MVP to just every day players. Pitchers already have a big prestigious award, and there should be something comparable for position players.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

quote:

For the 1999 season, a winner was selected using an objective points system. Hits, home runs, and runs batted in (RBI) were given certain point values and the winner was the player who had the highest tabulated points total.[1][2]

In 2000, the system was changed to a ballot in which each MLB team's radio and television play-by-play broadcasters and color analysts voted for three players in each league. Their first place vote receives five points, the second place vote receives three points, and the third place vote receives one point. Beginning in 2003, fans were given the opportunity to vote via MLB's official website, MLB.com. Fans' votes account for 30% of the points, while broadcasters' and analysts' votes account for the other 70%.[1]

The 2004–2006 Hank Aaron Award was decided in three separate phases. In August fans voted at each Club's official Web site from among three players nominated by the respective Club. The leading vote getter from each Club became one of 30 finalists, from which a special Major League Baseball panel chose six finalists from each League. Online fan voting then determined the overall League winner.

In 2007–2008 five finalists in each league were determined in fan balloting on MLB.com, from 30 club nominees selected by a special panel assembled by Major League Baseball and MLB.com. Online fan votes decided the overall League winner.

For the 2009 Award fans selected both the finalists and the ultimate winners of the award. In September fans voted for one finalist out of three nominees from each MLB Club. Once those 30 finalists were selected, fans voted for one American League and one National League winner, from September 16–30.
Yeah it'll take awhile before anyone cares about that thing. Pitchers for MVP, though.

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

Supposedly this is the first time in the history of the MVP award that no Red Sox or Yankee has gotten a vote

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

This is exactly why I called it that. And "reach pick" Manny Machado will get it every year. :colbert:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

seiferguy posted:

This is exactly why I called it that. And "reach pick" Manny Machado will get it every year. :colbert:

Manny Machado was the Ned Yost of that league :v:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mornacale posted:

McCutchen got dramatically penalized because of how well he hit with the bases empty.
Rickey Henderson won the 1990 MVP hitting leadoff

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Rickey had an absolutely insane 1990 season compared to the 1990 field or 2014 Cutch.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

If there's one thing I can say for sure it's that the BBWAA is hardly consistent in its voting, especially when you cross eras.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
This isn't really a BBWAA issue, it's a "Dave Cameron looking for clicks and trying to push a new Fangraphs stat" issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Double-post for different and very important topic: Josh Harrison won the Heart & Hustle Award.

• Locked thread