Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Senf posted:

"Web-Gem like catches on fly balls or plays on ground balls" is just too drat good to be true.

I hope they watch baseball tonight every night to get their list of web gems that they base that list off of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inspector_666 posted:

Hahaha is that real?

Yeah I recall Buster Olney retweeting it.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Must C - Contract Extension.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Senf posted:

"Web-Gem like catches on fly balls or plays on ground balls" is just too drat good to be true.

All of the examples of both good and bad plays read like something a 5th grader came up with.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Hechavarria is legit one of the best defensive shortstops in baseball and that's what's with the obsession

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

IcePhoenix posted:

I want to mock that but on the other hand it has Brad Miller last (by a huge margin) and that brings me joy.

What did Brad Miller ever do to you? (besides being a bad fielding SS)

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

What else do I have to do to impress you people?

seiferguy posted:

What did Brad Miller ever do to you? (besides being a bad fielding SS)

Dave Cameron is still pushing him as a stud young player to the extent that he argues the Nationals should trade Jordan Zimmermann for him and thinks that he's better than Matt Kemp without even considering $$ owed.

Mariners' SB Nation site is writing articles saying it is bad analysis to pay attention to his lovely months and then you can just pro-rate out the WAR from his better months: http://www.chatsports.com/seattle-mariners/a/Brad-Millers-quiet-resurgence-2-9994995

So y'know, gently caress him.

Also apparently the Mariners could have had Nelson Cruz last offseason for like 1/3 of the price but ownership deemed it too risky because steroids.

Pumpkin McPastry fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 2, 2014

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I love when goons come together to answer a question for me.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Brad Miller is an all star if you take his good months into account and disregard his bad months.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
I'm shocked that after all these years people still haven't figured out that each Mariners blogger is a whiny homer baby and always have been and always will be. This is true with all Seattle sports, for whatever reason

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

Dick Williams posted:

I'm shocked that after all these years people still haven't figured out that each Mariners blogger is a whiny homer baby and always have been and always will be. This is true with all Seattle sports, for whatever reason

Well I dunno, this reality hasn't stopped Dave Cameron's rapid climb to prominence despite all of his articles being "Mariners rule" and "Count the WAR"

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Brad Miller is a lovely fielder and a streaky hitter. Giving a crap because of Dave Cameron or the M's ownership being dumb as poo poo is a waste of time.

Besides. Someone at ESPN noticed that the M's are all but guaranteed a world series next year.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Do any Ohioans know what Cleveland has planned, if anything? I have an idea of what I'd LIKE them to do, but we all know as fans that those ideals rarely line up with front office's plans.

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

Tony Phillips posted:

Besides. Someone at ESPN noticed that the M's are all but guaranteed a world series next year.

Hahahaha I love that question mark. Like they're basically arguing this correlation is causation, but they won't own it.

"I'M JUST ASKING QUESTIONS"

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Tony Phillips posted:

Hahahaha this is the dumbest poo poo I have ever seen

Pumpkin McPastry
Mar 8, 2004

Tony Phillips posted:

Brad Miller is a lovely fielder and a streaky hitter. Giving a crap because of Dave Cameron or the M's ownership being dumb as poo poo is a waste of time.

I can root against really lovely analysts being right, because I don't want them to be validated.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I came up with a Good Plays/Bad Plays stat that I kept track of in a notebook when I was maybe 13. I thought it was genius. Every time you made a Correct Play, you got a checkmark. Every time you hosed Up, you got a frowny face. Except I was only able to keep track of the numbers for games I watched. I thought it was the One True Way to accurately measure defense.

I think my final conclusion was that 1997 Gary Gaetti was a wizard at age 38 and had the reflexes of a mongoose.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

uublog posted:

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Mark Kotsay, Padres hitting coach

Hey, at least he's not baserunning coach.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Tom Gorman posted:

I came up with a Good Plays/Bad Plays stat that I kept track of in a notebook when I was maybe 13. I thought it was genius. Every time you made a Correct Play, you got a checkmark. Every time you hosed Up, you got a frowny face. Except I was only able to keep track of the numbers for games I watched. I thought it was the One True Way to accurately measure defense.

I think my final conclusion was that 1997 Gary Gaetti was a wizard at age 38 and had the reflexes of a mongoose.

Clearly you should have gone into data sciences because BBREF and Fangraphs agree with 13 year old you.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

uublog posted:

I really like it. It's the logical endpoint of ESPN baseball punditry.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I dunno, I just kind of see it as a graphic showing an interesting coincidence between two players without any context of the article in which it was posted in.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

Also valid. I was trying to explain to a guy I work with (a Royals fan, which was weird when I kept trying to mock them and they kept winning) and it was strangely difficult because he way overthought it and couldn't believe that it's actually as basic and pointless as it is. We also came to the conclusion that it overvalues OPS by a ridiculous amount (shocking, I know)

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
When I went to that LL / USSMariner meetup in 2010 and met Jeff Sullivan and Dave Cameron, I asked Jeff at the time what he thought of USSMariner and he literally went :jerkbag: so I'm pretty surprised to see he decided to start work more closely with Dave Cameron.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

I dunno, I just kind of see it as a graphic showing an interesting coincidence between two players without any context of the article in which it was posted in.

Of course it's just filler. Still dumb filler.

The full part of the article that actually mentions Jackson:

Good omen for Seattle?
Cruz is not the first slugger to spend just one season in Baltimore before moving on. It was 38 years ago that Reggie Jackson made a splash in New York after spending one season with the Orioles. The Yankees went on to win consecutive World Series titles in his first two seasons.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

vegeta dentata posted:

The FO loves the bullshit statistic of good plays:bad plays.

I had almost forgotten that existed, you bastard. Now this is me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3ythpzsu18

seiferguy posted:

When I went to that LL / USSMariner meetup in 2010 and met Jeff Sullivan and Dave Cameron, I asked Jeff at the time what he thought of USSMariner and he literally went :jerkbag: so I'm pretty surprised to see he decided to start work more closely with Dave Cameron.

This almost makes me want to cry, especially in light of those Hamels articles. What the hell possessed him to swallow the Cameron Way hook, line, and sinker?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Harlock posted:

Brad Miller is an all star if you take his good months into account and disregard his bad months.

To be fair, if your good months are April-June then you literally are an All Star.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

vegeta dentata posted:

The FO loves the bullshit statistic of good plays:bad plays.

Slipping and falling down is a misplay? I don't get these confounded advanced metrics

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
According to Dave Gershman:

quote:

Source described Yankees interest in Nick Markakis as "serious," and that a deal could be struck with 5th yr added. #yankees haven't let up

Kickers : Tacocorp :: Outfielders : Yankees

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Spoeank posted:

Slipping and falling down is a misplay? I don't get these confounded advanced metrics

Unacceptable. It takes courage and the will of a team captain to fall down and get dirt on your jersey!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Inspector_666 posted:

According to Dave Gershman:

Kickers : Tacocorp :: Outfielders : Yankees

no no no no :gonk:

Markakis is a worse version of Gardner; I understand the need for another OF but another punchless guy in the lineup will not help the Yanks reach contention again.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

no no no no :gonk:

Markakis is a worse version of Gardner; I understand the need for another OF but another punchless guy in the lineup will not help the Yanks reach contention again.

Just all leadoff outfielders, as far as the eye can see...

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Assuming the Yankees do get Markakis, who's the best option for the O's? Pearce wasn't completely awful when he filled in for the outfield, but I have no delusions that Pearce is going to have even half as good as a year as he did this year. And even if he does, we still need to cover the other side of the outfield.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

SporkOfTruth posted:

This almost makes me want to cry, especially in light of those Hamels articles. What the hell possessed him to swallow the Cameron Way hook, line, and sinker?

Blogging for a well-known website probably gets you a lot more exposure than writing for a blog for one team.

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Blogging for a well-known website probably gets you a lot more exposure than writing for a blog for one team.

So you're saying Sullivan sold his soul to Cameron for a Fangraphs job?

That's a terrible deal, imo, but I don't know all the ways the extra exposure has helped past FG writers.

e: or for that matter, what he intends to do with it

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tigers probably jumping on that Nick Markakis bandwagon.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Artix posted:

Assuming the Yankees do get Markakis, who's the best option for the O's? Pearce wasn't completely awful when he filled in for the outfield, but I have no delusions that Pearce is going to have even half as good as a year as he did this year. And even if he does, we still need to cover the other side of the outfield.

Trade one of your starters for Cespedes of couse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I, for one, am excited to watch the yankees hit 50 homeruns next year.

• Locked thread