Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

Here is the artist's website (Chris Dimino)

This is something I would really like to make, but have no idea how to start. I can replace & replumb a showerhead, no problem: but sculpting like that, how do?

Things I don't understand:
1. Making something hold that shape, but also seamlessly integrate with tile.
2. Making it strong and not flimsyweak. I can see moisture getting in the eyeholes and making nasty molds! Or worse, pockets of water between the mask and the wall!
3. Making it not look like poo poo, possibly casting it from an actual gasmask?

The two suggestions I've picked up are "sculpt it in clay or ceramics" and "latex?"
To be clear: the showerhead itself I can do no problem, and I can epoxy with the best of em! But I am not really a crafty person, and the artistic aspects of this eludes me!

Can someone please tell me some things to google? Or lay out the basics of how one designs something like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Every tile that isn't flat is part of the sculpture, and casting from a real mask would be a good start.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Become a ceramic/whatever artist capable of making a material that is not bathroom tile look exactly like it but in the shape of a gas mask.

So unless you are a really good sculptor you have some learnin to do!

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

I would make a ceramic gas mask but you could also probably do vacuum forming or something. That guy is a really good sculptor I just found a functioning typewriter vacuum cleaner and a "The Shining" cuckoo clock on his website.

TL;DR: It is going to be hard to pull something like this off if, as you say, "But I am not really a crafty person, and the artistic aspects of this eludes me!"

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

You could use this stuff; http://www.milliput.com/white.html

I use it for sculpting. It dries rockhard in about 3 hours, but is easy to work with until its hard.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Start working in ceramics, make dozens or hundreds of unrelated practice pieces experimenting with different techniques and approaches until you have enough skill to tackle something as ambitious as this. Alternately, spend that time working, and throw a probable high three figures to low four figures at the artist to commission your own.

I'm not a ceramics guy, but this feels a lot like all the people who take a weekend blacksmithing course expecting to learn how to make a sword by Sunday.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I would guess it's just plaster. It's painted and textured to match the tile. You could do the same around an existing shower head and then put a waterproof coating of some sort over it. Would probably still get damp and damaged over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's not tile, it's a standard vinyl panel.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Aquatile-1-8-in-Toned-White-Tileboard-709108/202090197
Knowing that, here is a quick way to replicate the sculpture:

1 - Buy soviet surplus gas mask, remove everything from the rubber mask
2 - Fill it with something to simulate head shape, make a cast
3 - Buy the vinyl panel
4 - Lay your casting over the panel, you can texture it in many different ways, even with spray on vinyl. Match the design on panel into the mask
5 - Drill holes in mask/coating for plumbing and eye sockets
6 - Re-apply all the parts removed in step 1 to your sculpture, such as eye socket rings, respirator, etc
7 - Drill, tap and replace bottom of respirator with shower head
8 - Apply to the wall, attach plumbing
9 - Go hog wild

Also, it's an art piece not a functional shower in the OP. So it could be made of anything, probably clay.

• Locked thread