Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naughtydog
Dec 5, 2004

Negative Nancy
Just graduated with a Bachelor's in General Business Administration with minors in Management and Economics. Now it's time to start hunting for jobs!

I've got a particular company in mind and they have career opportunities across the country with the majority at their headquarters in Texas. One of their branches is near where I live (Florida). I'm open to traveling in general -that is to say that I don't mind not starting and finishing my career in one location.

So my question is: Where does one typically find him or herself more likely to shine and rise though the career ranks? Headquarters or Branches and why.

Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
Home office.

While you may do more at a branch, unless your boss is shouting your name on the phone back to corporate about you, they're not going to know you exist.

Being at the home office actually gets you face time with the big bosses. Even if it is something as unconsious as riding the elevator every day and being well dressed. Also, there is the whole social dynamic to this. If you're working 1000 miles away from the main office, chances are you are only communicating when you need to. You don't typically shoot the breeze or socialize like you would in person.

I work at a large engineering and construction company. Typically the people I see who get bounced around to cushy projects, locations, and roles generally have spent some time in or started out at the home office, or in our case one of the main/home offices.

Our corporate headquarters is pretty much in name only and we have several large offices in a few key cities. With smaller offices at project locations.

Those at project sites are more or less, second class. It isn't fair but that is the way it is.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 5, 2014

e_wraith
May 5, 2012

Damn pods!
Grimey Drawer
If career is your primary focus, HQ a million times over. As the previous poster said, it is all about the in-person opportunities. The important people will know you (or at least have a chance to) at the HQ, and no matter what level of responsibility you have at a branch it will rarely measure up to the HQ exposure. Plus HQ tends to have its fingers in all of the important projects no matter where they are, and you are more likely to wind up on a high visibility program/project there. Plus plus there's usually more variety in things to work on, and you can focus on a particular area and get very good at it where as at a branch you are more likely to have to be a jack of all trades.

No question that opportunities exist everywhere, and other factors may cause you to decide not to work at HQ, but trust me working there will give you the best opportunity to be noticed most of the time. The good person the execs know personally will usually get the promotion over the great person they know only on paper. More often than not at least!

• Locked thread