Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I don't even play World of Warcraft. Rather, I read extensively on every boss encounter, typically on wowhead.com. On such sites, you will find a complete list of every ability and spell in the boss's arsenal, including cooldowns, damage or effect and when they are used. By extrapolating with my incredible intelligence, I use this information to construct a mental simulation of the boss arena and, having perfect eidetic memory, I can calculate the exact position and status of all 25 players in a raid (mythic difficulty, of course) fighting the boss.

I can mentally image the exact moment when every character must respond to a change in the battle. I can calculate the dps perfectly. I can replicate, within the palace of my mind, the exact moment when a heal must be cast, how long the cast time is and the amount of hit points the heal will replenish. I can simulate the exact moment a phase change occurs, whether it is a result of a hard timer or a response to the dps which I have computed will have been done. Of course each character in the fight has been faithfully crafted in my mind based on the in-game data, and as a mental exercise I construct their journey from level 1 to 90, with each and every experience point accounted for.

When the boss dies, as it always does in the perfect simulation of my mind, I calculate the likelihood of a new piece of loot having dropped and mentally assign it to the appropriate character. With this upgraded loot, I run the next simulation again entirely in my head, with every number, every variable, every moment accounted for with pinpoint accuracy owing to the incredible nature of my mental faculties. I find that it is a stimulating cognitive exercise, as such things are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the reignofchaosman

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Ok, but how many seconds ahead and in what % increments of health/mana?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Kylra posted:

Ok, but how many seconds ahead and in what % increments of health/mana?

Hello, thank you for the question.

I consider the millisecond to be the most basic unit of time to be acceptable in one of my mental raid sessions. The millisecond is, of course, the unit used to measure latency in the game client, and as such is an important metric whether I am simulating through my mind a raid situation or any other in-game scenario. Increments for hp or mp (or, for that matter, energy, runes, focus) is of course self-explanatory and quite simple. I'll not waste time on such an obvious answer. But I do enjoy calculating, in my head, the logarithmic scaling of such interesting stats as dodge and I routinely calculate them down to the thousandth place. I was disappointed in Blizzard personally, when I learned they had removed hit and parry. However, an active mind is a healthy mind, and I find that this has freed up the processing power of my brain to consider more accurately the variables found in the many interesting new stats, such as multistrike.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
What are your raid members like outside of when they are raiding?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Can your brain simulate the effect of server instability/crashes?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

SarutosZero posted:

What are your raid members like outside of when they are raiding?

I consider it an amusing exercise to simulate the social dynamics of a guild. I consider myself an expert of many mathematical fields. I can create ("imagine" does not, to me, do justice to the mental constructs I so meticulously craft in my brain) the most intricate of geometrical n-forms so I consider the behavior of the human being to be a rather simple yet stimulating diversion when I am not recreating in my mind the most perfect Yogg-Saron kill every conceived. The guild master is, of course, rational (and a Warrior) as he should be, and loot is distributed perfectly. The Rogues are buffoons as such crass folk are drawn to the class. I have crafted the persona of a Priest, who is a woman who behaves flirtatiously but not so much as to disrupt the raid. The social dynamics are complex and time prevents me from recounting all the interesting developments. I will say that the dynamics become geometrically more complex if I create within my thought-palace a "retro" raid that utilizes 40-man compositions. This is something I do when I'm feeling particularly giddy and wish to indulge in a simulation with far more variables. I will do so if, for example, I am feeling festive on a Christmas Eve.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

how much to subscribe OP can i join the server

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

how do you deal with viruses infecting your virtual servers?

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

That's fairly impressive, OP.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
a fun RTS like game would be controlling a wow like raid and assigning roles and distributing loot, placement, ect

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

a fun RTS like game would be controlling a wow like raid and assigning roles and distributing loot, placement, ect

Or Total War: Azeroth

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Bolverkur posted:

how much to subscribe OP can i join the server

You cannot join my server, as it is a creation entirely of my own thoughts and as such, is a pure mathematical abstraction. It is simply an abstraction so close to the concrete reality as to make no difference save that it does not exist in reality (this is also an answer to the other question concerning server stability. The server I simulate does not crash, though it does keep to the regular maintenance schedule. As such the raids "reset" on Tuesdays).

However, I invite all and sundry to picture in your head your own World of Warcraft raids and encounters. Read on wowhead.com all the abilities of a boss. Look at all the spells, all the effects, the duration and the damage. Imagine all this in the context of a raid encounter. Imagine the characters, their positioning, their abilities and their cooldowns. I believe you will find this a stimulating mental exercise.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Mr. Pumroy posted:

You cannot join my server, as it is a creation entirely of my own thoughts and as such, is a pure mathematical abstraction. It is simply an abstraction so close to the concrete reality as to make no difference save that it does not exist in reality (this is also an answer to the other question concerning server stability. The server I simulate does not crash, though it does keep to the regular maintenance schedule. As such the raids "reset" on Tuesdays).

However, I invite all and sundry to picture in your head your own World of Warcraft raids and encounters. Read on wowhead.com all the abilities of a boss. Look at all the spells, all the effects, the duration and the damage. Imagine all this in the context of a raid encounter. Imagine the characters, their positioning, their abilities and their cooldowns. I believe you will find this a stimulating mental exercise.

I tried that but my raiders found the raids too hard. Could your raiders maybe put out a few how-to videos for the raids as they do them? I'm sure the videos would really help a bunch of other people too.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Mr. Pumroy posted:

i roll a troll durid with red mohawk and cool facepaint

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

*transcript from Jim Parsons' Emmy reel

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

Isn't someone making that? I feel like someone is making that.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
Do you ever have to retire raid members when they grow to be unpredictable? And do you give them proper achievements?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

would play unironically

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

crazkylo posted:

Do you ever have to retire raid members when they grow to be unpredictable? And do you give them proper achievements?

To say that a raid member might behave unpredictably is a meaningless statement, as it would suggest I do not have complete control of every facet, every moment that occurs within my mind, and that is impossible. Everything is accounted for at every point in time. Every motion and every action. Anything less would defeat the purpose of this exercise.

As for achievements, yes I do indeed keep track of the achievements mentally. I know every feat accomplished by every raider, right down to the statistics of how many times they have killed any number of raid bosses. I have a Paladin, for instance, who has killed Ignus the Furnace Master 12 times and my perfect recall allows me to recreate each kill perfectly right down to the exact millisecond when the Shaman cast Bloodlust.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Which member of the raid are we talking to right now?

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Mr. Pumroy posted:

To say that a raid member might behave unpredictably is a meaningless statement, as it would suggest I do not have complete control of every facet, every moment that occurs within my mind, and that is impossible. Everything is accounted for at every point in time. Every motion and every action. Anything less would defeat the purpose of this exercise.

Beginning to think the OP is just running scripted imagination-bots that do the mind creating for him since he mentioned he isn't accurately simulating that some people who play games online are jerks and won't behave or show up for raids.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i take feral spec what zone am i in OP?

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Kylra posted:

Which member of the raid are we talking to right now?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

SarutosZero posted:

Beginning to think the OP is just running scripted imagination-bots that do the mind creating for him since he mentioned he isn't accurately simulating that some people who play games online are jerks and won't behave or show up for raids.

I assure you that is not the case. While I recognize that there are insurmountable flaws in the real world such as intransigent raiders, my mind does not possess these flaws, and as such is incapable of anything less than perfection at all times. Of course many find this hard to believe, but I write these posts to inspire those who know that their minds are incredible machines, far more powerful than the computers which run the software I have chosen to simulate in the thoughtsphere I have crafted.

Bolverkur posted:

i take feral spec what zone am i in OP?

Although I cannot know what is occurring in your mental simulation of World of Warcraft unless you document it down to the most minute detail, I will hazard a guess. It will be a form of entertainment for my mind. You said earlier you would be a Troll Druid, one with red hair, and I have constructed this Druid in my mind as is my wont. As a Troll you would begin in the Sen'jin Island zone. However you say you have chosen to be a Feral Druid, which means you have reached at least level 10. Assuming that you have posted this the moment you reached level 10 I will conjecture you have left Sen'jin Island and are now in Durotar. I have constructed a perfect three-dimensional model of Durotar in my mind. This is quite easy, as every region of World of Warcraft is a collection of polygons, and polygons, being mathematical objects, are simple to simulate. I am simulating the red land of Durotar. I am simulating the town that is called Razor Hill. I am simulating the ruined Human castle nearby. I am simulating the walls of Orgrimmar. I have simulated Durotar in my mind. I have that image in my mind and I am superimposing your Troll Druid with red hair onto that image. It is perfect.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I assure you that is not the case. While I recognize that there are insurmountable flaws in the real world such as intransigent raiders, my mind does not possess these flaws, and as such is incapable of anything less than perfection at all times. Of course many find this hard to believe, but I write these posts to inspire those who know that their minds are incredible machines, far more powerful than the computers which run the software I have chosen to simulate in the thoughtsphere I have crafted.

Thank you for the clarification. Even if you are though, I am no gamer snitch and would not report you for thought-botting.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Although I cannot know what is occurring in your mental simulation of World of Warcraft unless you document it down to the most minute detail, I will hazard a guess. It will be a form of entertainment for my mind. You said earlier you would be a Troll Druid, one with red hair, and I have constructed this Druid in my mind as is my wont. As a Troll you would begin in the Sen'jin Island zone. However you say you have chosen to be a Feral Druid, which means you have reached at least level 10. Assuming that you have posted this the moment you reached level 10 I will conjecture you have left Sen'jin Island and are now in Durotar. I have constructed a perfect three-dimensional model of Durotar in my mind. This is quite easy, as every region of World of Warcraft is a collection of polygons, and polygons, being mathematical objects, are simple to simulate. I am simulating the red land of Durotar. I am simulating the town that is called Razor Hill. I am simulating the ruined Human castle nearby. I am simulating the walls of Orgrimmar. I have simulated Durotar in my mind. I have that image in my mind and I am superimposing your Troll Druid with red hair onto that image. It is perfect.

this is the best goddam gaming experience i've ever had. i'm going to go get a recipe for skeleton juice.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
OP you are the Raymond Babbitt of world of Warcraft

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
OP, do your raiders have names and personality? Or have they evolved beyond a point of needing such things and simply run according to you?

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

im now a skelett dancin in the barrens

is it pre- or post-cataclysm, OP?

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
do you do complete each raid simulation once a week to keep as close to the source material as possible?

Tiger Millionaire fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 6, 2014

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I don't even play World of Warcraft. Rather, I read extensively on every boss encounter, typically on wowhead.com. On such sites, you will find a complete list of every ability and spell in the boss's arsenal, including cooldowns, damage or effect and when they are used. By extrapolating with my incredible intelligence, I use this information to construct a mental simulation of the boss arena and, having perfect eidetic memory, I can calculate the exact position and status of all 25 players in a raid (mythic difficulty, of course) fighting the boss.

I can mentally image the exact moment when every character must respond to a change in the battle. I can calculate the dps perfectly. I can replicate, within the palace of my mind, the exact moment when a heal must be cast, how long the cast time is and the amount of hit points the heal will replenish. I can simulate the exact moment a phase change occurs, whether it is a result of a hard timer or a response to the dps which I have computed will have been done. Of course each character in the fight has been faithfully crafted in my mind based on the in-game data, and as a mental exercise I construct their journey from level 1 to 90, with each and every experience point accounted for.

When the boss dies, as it always does in the perfect simulation of my mind, I calculate the likelihood of a new piece of loot having dropped and mentally assign it to the appropriate character. With this upgraded loot, I run the next simulation again entirely in my head, with every number, every variable, every moment accounted for with pinpoint accuracy owing to the incredible nature of my mental faculties. I find that it is a stimulating cognitive exercise, as such things are.

proof god doesnt exist because it could just do this to and not have to create anything peace

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
OP do you have a system for creating personalities? Are the people behind the game, so to speak, factored in when developing a new personality or does the process begin with a matrix of traits and then developed outwards?

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

i play world of warcraft on a rp server as a girl character

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

they cant pvp you if you put on a dress and kiss them. i don't like doing it but it works.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Scyther posted:

i play world of warcraft on a rp server as a girl character
This, but simulated mentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

if anyone needs an invite to the largest ERP guild on either Ravenholdt or Moon Guard, hit me up. please don't do it if you're just going to troll members and be a jerk, i'm putting my guild rep on the line by doing this

• Locked thread