Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
Time to send this thing to the presses.

-8 years of planning
-many tears

"The Metamorphosis" By Franz Kafka

Title screen:

Rough concept work:

I have rough storyboards done for the entire film, but there is no point in scanning those in. The next step is making a 3d mockup of the apartment, and then making a rough 3d animatic. The apartment layout and animatic will be posted soon. I am trying to get this film out within 6-12 months or sooner so expect regular updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
This is what I have so far with regards to the layout of the apartment:

The challenge is that from my reading of the story, the description of the apartment does not represent a logical layout. Now the solution to this would be to simply shoot the film on a shot by shot basis in which case actually building a logical layout of the apartment would not be necessary. However, I think I am going to choose to create an actual floorplan that matches as closely as I can the description of the apartment in the story.

This may not seem like a major decision, but it will have ramifications on other stylistic choices for the film in everything from shot selection to character and environment design. I am about 95% sure that this is the direction that I am headed with the apartment, and once I finalize how exactly I want the apartment layout to look, creating a 3d mockup should be relatively easy. From there making some quick 3d animatics with the rough concept art I have already created, should also be relatively easy given that I have already done rough 2d storyboards for the entire film and it will just a matter of transferring them to 3d.

From that point I can begin to finalize stylistic choices for the characters and environment, begin layout, and then move towards completion.

Making a rough 3d animatic and many of the smaller previous steps before that are not technically necessary with regards to the final film, but what they are doing is helping me develop conceptually the film. In my experience the conceptual aspect of the creation of any art takes the most amount of time, rather than the technical execution of the conceptual ideas. In this case I am applying the concept of "conceptual decisions" more liberally than is typically used as I am referring to even small conceptual decisions like animation timing and texturing decisions.

My goal of developing this film entirely as a whole rather than in bits and pieces is to hopefully give a greater understanding of the overall concept and tone of the film, and therefore actually save time with regards to asset creation. The reason I say it will hopefully save time, is that by more clearly defining major stylistic and conceptual decisions I can hopefully make smaller conceptual decisions with greater certainty and speed. Doing things in this way will also hopefully create a more cohesive end product as all creative aspects were developed in concert with each other, rather than stitched together.

Apthous fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 7, 2014

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The spiral staircase does not seem to belong in that type of house layout at all. Bedrooms should be upstairs, living/dining/kitchen downstairs. Also a vestibule/coat closet and other utility spaces

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Have you gone on further with this and are holding updates back or did it take 8 years of planning (and crying) to get to that house layout?

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Apthous posted:

I have rough storyboards done for the entire film

This is probably the interesting part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Is there an animatic/leica reel of these storyboards? Can we see them?

• Locked thread