Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Kveldulf

The ancient viking isn't quite as spectacular to look upon as his Captain. In fact, he looks downright plain. This, of course, is a deliberate calculation. He's chosen his simple and drab clothing (with the exception of a colourful scarf) to enhance two things: The perception of his age (always a useful thing to play up with other elders, and so far as he can manage with limited resources, he's done an acceptable job of looking like the Lawspeaker of old) and to cast him as nothing but an obedient servant to his superior. When entering the courts, one must play the game by its rules or have a deliberate purpose to breaking them. He's even trimmed his beard and hair to make them a little more presentable, brushed through them with a comb, touched them with a little oil to make them gleam in the moonlight (though he does seem, perhaps justifiably, a little more unnerved than usual by open flames) and he's even touched up the long-carved grooves on his fangs with charcoal. This is, afterall, a formal affair. And, being a formal affair, he's even wearing his brother's seax. Just in case he needs something to keep his temper in check. Even Huginn and Munin are along for the ride, perched on his shoulders like two cut-rate ravens. And, because they won't shut the gently caress up, he's thoughtfully bound their beaks closed.

And, at his side, Haroun curses and mutters, trying to work his way from his bonds. The hunger gnaws in the ghul's belly, but he won't be allowed to feast mindlessly tonight. He has to accompany them, and leverage his... unique... skillset. He too is decorated and dressed up, though the iron cuffs at his wrists and around his throat perhaps detract. But, then again, perhaps that's the point. Displaying a slave of value is always a good statement of position and worth. With him in play, and his strange luck magic, they have an ace up their sleeves. Even if that ace is, right now, desiring nothing more than to fill his belly with their flesh. It's not quite uncontrollable yet, but by midnight the ghul will either have forced the hunger back down or be drat-near foaming at the mouth and snapping at anyone that comes close.

"Of course, Captain. I am at your side." A pause. "Perhaps we should bring some meat on the boat for Haroun. He grows... Irritable when he has not eaten at least a little, and I would sooner not lose his utility. But he must not, at any cost, be allowed to eat on the island. If I am unable to speak, if I am rendered unconsciousness, you must not allow him to eat. It would be... Unfortunate, for all concerned, if things were to go south and he has eaten somewhere other than on our ships or boats. If it pleases our host, I will give him my new trophy as a gift, but I leave him behind in case it does not. It will provide us an excuse to leave and return as welcomed faces, should we need one."

EDIT OOC:
Bringing along Huginn and Munin the Parrots as well, just in case the Dutchman knows any of the old stories. Plus, more ghouls = more utility. Added the new retainer dots in the form of a ghouled Swedishman, who isn't coming along.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Renée

As another night begins, Renée throws off her shroud and rolls out of her cot. Though the small quarters are well protected from the sun, she still has a heavy leather shroud to be doubly sure the sun does not find her while she sleeps. Beneath the cot is a small locked chest, and across from it a simple desk which bears the stains of many alchemical experiments is nailed to the wall. But Renée's eyes fall on the only other feature of the room, a map pinned to the wall over her cot. She traces a line from Curacao eastward to the circle around the island of Grenada. Close, but not close enough. Soon, though. With luck the Captain's quest will take them east from here.

She stifles a chuckle on first seeing Betty all dressed up. “Looking good. I'm sure the land-bound windbags will be suitably impressed.” It is no secret that Renée is glad that her part in this requires neither formal attire nor courtly manners. “Aye aye, we'll keep our wits about us. Good luck on your end.”

Realized I hadn't actually specified a location for Renée's sister, so there you go. Also picking up Herd.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Pietro Tremonti

"What is it in the jungle," Pietro questions with equal parts concern and curiosity, "That poses such a threat to us?" For all the traveling he's done and all the places he's been, the merchant never fancied himself an explorer. Moving goods from one port to another didn't involve tromping through jungles.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Maganda

How endearing, the fledgling's naivete.

"The sunlight, for one. It will be dark, but if we are forced to stay ashore after the night ends it will not be nearly dark enough.

"There are no big animals on this island, but there are mortals. Nsoah himself might prove dangerous if he does not recognize us. Keep alert and do not get separated."

She hands a barong to Renee. The two mortal crewmen will bear the brunt of swinging the heavy knives and tearing down brush, but subjugating the jungle is a team effort.

"Are we ready to leave?"

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Kveldulf

"There were many other things than wild beasts and the sun to fear in the forests of Europe, Pietro. Why should it be different here? In the places where man does not tread, or treads but rarely, creatures live that would make us look as if naive children. Ancients of the Blood, for one, turn up in the strangest places. Men who wear the face of animals. Whispering voices that call you deeper and deeper into the trees, only to suddenly become sharp teeth and glowing eyes in the shadow." Kveldulf offers a rolling, low, rumbling chuckle. "Far safer to be at sea, where we must fear only serpents, the Kraken and the wrath of the Draug."

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Pietro Tremonti

"'Men who wear the face of animals' would be at home in the el carnevałe," Pietro attempts to lighten the mood with a weak smile, "I can look forward to a little commedia in the jungle. Less fearsome that way. And fewer krakens helps a man live longer."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Just a reminder to everyone that, while the game may be on hiatus, Black Sails just returned to telly. Watch it and get pumped for this to resume.

• Locked thread