Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loki42
Oct 11, 2002

I have lived the ramen!
I've been chosen to be the family historian. A relative of mine wrote a book referencing just about anyone with an once of blood in them related to the family. Some references go back to the 1600s, which was pretty surprising to me once I was handed the book, and then the sad realization sank in that all the references, notes, and sources are on a hard drive in a computer from at best, 1993. Goodie for me for having to try to figure out how to get the data off that thing or re-tracing and finding the documents again.

The family history is not really a book, it is about 80 pages of loose leaf paper bound by a simple $1 plastic report folder from Staples. This should make it a little easier for me. I'd like to take it apart, scan it all, and have some OCR software do the work for me. I was ready to do this with the newest version of Adobe Acrobat Pro, but they went subscription based, and I'd like to avoid that if possible.

I was also given a great deal of old printed documents like deeds and wills, photographs, and other media to be included as well. I have no experience with Adobe Acrobat. I am sure I can Google FAQs and how-to guides. What I want to do doesn't sound like it will be too demanding, just time consuming. I'd like the majority of the deeds, wills, certificates, and other historic documents to be searchable, but I understand that using OCR on old, stylish, hard to read fonts on stained yellow paper doesn't work well. I am willing to correct it or do it by hand.

Therefor, I would like to scan in the family history book, which looks like it was made with a word processor in 1992 so OCR should be pretty accurate. Then I'd like to add the documents, pictures, and other media (most likely at the end of the book with a smattering in the body of the book itself), tinker around with the formatting, add bookmarks, hidden erotica, and other such deeds.

Creating a PDF is the only idea I could come up with that would do what I want and still be user-friendly enough for everyone I send the file to. However, Adobe would like me to subscribe and pay them gobs every month. I've been looking at buying old versions of Acrobat from Amazon, e-bay, and other sites that only require the disc and serial number (which I will buy legitimately), but what I don't know is what version will adequately do what I would like it to do, or if I will be creating more problems for myself by using outdated software. Am I even going down the right path by starting by immediately scanning pages as TIFFs, and tossing them into Acrobat? Is there a better software package out there that can do what I am aiming to do?

Your kind advice will be most graciously accepted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Why did you make another thread for this?

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Get your family members to chip in some $$ so your broke asses can afford Adobe PDF Maker Pro.

To answer your question: no, there isn't a better piece of software. There are lovely free PDF things you can gently caress with, but just save yourself a giant headache and spend the $19.99/mo for Acrobat Pro.

Un-l337-Pork fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 16, 2014

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
As I said in the prior thread: http://www.libreoffice.org/ contains a PDF maker called LibreDraw.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I'm closing this thread, please post in your original thread if you still have questions.

• Locked thread