Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Gordie Howe, the man whose name is synonymous with hockey. At least, this is the name that was synonymous when I was a young fan in the early-90s. I couldn't think of Gretzky without thinking of Howe. It seemed like the two were always tethered by some cosmic hockey force in my little mind. Even though I never saw Howe play live, he was an interesting player to a kid like me, a kid who was overwhelmed by his impressive point totals. Despite not putting up a 100-point season until he was 40 (when scoring went up because of the introduction of expansion teams), the man still put up 1850 points (the highest point total until Gretzky came along. Messier has also surpassed Howe). However, while that number is impressive, it doesn't capture the true worth of Howe, the hockey player.

A picture of a young Gretzky with Howe.

Gordie Howe started his career in the NHL in 1946. World War II was just finished, and the Korean War loomed. Maurice Richard was still just a young punk that played for Montreal, and Syd Howe, the holder of the all-time points getter in the NHL had just retired the previous year. Gordie Howe would play his last game in the NHL in 1980 (after years of playing in the WHL), a time span that lasted 34 years, a time span that still exceeds my own time on this earth. A lot happened in that time span, and I don't think I need to re-count it here to give you an exact measure of how long 34 years is, so let's just keep in mind that it's long.

Jesus Christ.

In those 34 years, a lot changed, but Howe didn't. He was a model of consistency for his entire career. He earned NHL All-Star team honours a total of 21 times, he finished top-10 in goal scoring 19 times (lead the league 5 times), finished top-10 in assist totals 22 times (consecutively from 1948-49 until 1969-70; lead the league 3 times), and point totals 21 times (lead the league 6 times). He won the Hart trophy 6 times (and has 6 other top-3 finishes), and was on four championship Red Wings teams in the early- to mid-50s. This is a run that will never be paralleled because of the structure of the league now. While some may look at these numbers and be quick to dismiss them, keep in mind that out of the entire league during that period, no one had a run that came close to Howe. Jean Beliveau? Don't make me laugh. Bobby Hull? Are you serious? Doug Harvey? Get that poo poo out of here. See, there is a reason why Howe continues to be included in the discussion of the Greatest Player of All-Time (capitalized for effect). Howe's career isn't just impressive because he played for so long, but it's impressive because he played for so long at an elite level.

I could have continued writing about Howe (about his dangerous elbows, for example), but I will leave that up to the rest of the thread. I tried to give a glimpse of a man who sadly doesn't appear long for this world, and I hope I accomplished that goal. I also didn't expect that starting my first thread would take this long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
America's front line fighter aircraft when Gordie was a rookie:

America's frontline fighter aircraft when Gordie retired:

Airliner when Gordie was a rookie:

Airliner when Gordie retired:

Cutting edge rocket technology when Gordie was a rookie:

Cutting edge rocket technology when Gordie retired:

Hockey skates when Gordie was a rookie:

Hockey skates when Gordie retired:

Computers when Gordie was a rookie:

Computers when Gordie retired:

Music when Gordie was a rookie:

Music when Gordie retired:

#1 song during Gordie's first game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6KIKEeplsQ

#1 song during Gordie's last game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34ZmKbe5oG4

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

As I said, it's hard to even comprehend that much time passing. The only recent player that came close was Chris Chelios (just realized that came close and Chris Chelios sound very similar), and he played from 1983 to 2010, a span of 27 years. And, while Chelios' longevity can be admired, and he was one of the best defensemen of all-time, he never reached the peak of Howe.

I just found this recently colorized 8MM footage of The Rocket and Howe playing against each other. It's only interesting if you want to see colorized 50s hockey, because the music is terrible, and the footage is nothing great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBGVUWdXd8o

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

You should watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD3fD6VX0uc

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm so glad you made this thread. The hockey lover in me loves every time somebody mentions a Goride Hat Trick (which is neck and neck with referring to behind the net as "Gretzky's Office" as the coolest honorific bestowed upon an athlete, for my money). Anyways, it gives me a chance to tell a story that Wayne told for THN's 100 Best Players ever magazine for Gordie's entry. Apologies if you know the story and I fudge a detail or two....

Years ago, when Wayne was very young, he played on a team (possibly a team of WHA all-stars? Not sure.) with Gordie against a team of Russian Selects. Anyways, Wayne looked annoyed on the bench in between shifts and Gordie asked Wayne what was eating him. Wayne explained that there was a Russian forward who had been slashing at Wayne whenever they battled over the puck on the wing, but for whatever reason, wasn't getting a call. Gordie nodded and said "I'll take care of it next shift, just get out of the way when you see me coming". Sure enough, Wayne does as he's told, Gordie loving levels the poor schmuck, and he has to be taken off the ice by trainers.

Don't gently caress with Gordie Howe. And for what it's worth, both Orr and Gretzky say Gordie's the best ever (although both Orr and Gretzky are humble guys who would never proclaim to be the greatest).

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

This rules. I hope the thread produces more video of Howe.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm so glad you made this thread. The hockey lover in me loves every time somebody mentions a Goride Hat Trick (which is neck and neck with referring to behind the net as "Gretzky's Office" as the coolest honorific bestowed upon an athlete, for my money). Anyways, it gives me a chance to tell a story that Wayne told for THN's 100 Best Players ever magazine for Gordie's entry. Apologies if you know the story and I fudge a detail or two....

Years ago, when Wayne was very young, he played on a team (possibly a team of WHA all-stars? Not sure.) with Gordie against a team of Russian Selects. Anyways, Wayne looked annoyed on the bench in between shifts and Gordie asked Wayne what was eating him. Wayne explained that there was a Russian forward who had been slashing at Wayne whenever they battled over the puck on the wing, but for whatever reason, wasn't getting a call. Gordie nodded and said "I'll take care of it next shift, just get out of the way when you see me coming". Sure enough, Wayne does as he's told, Gordie loving levels the poor schmuck, and he has to be taken off the ice by trainers.

Don't gently caress with Gordie Howe. And for what it's worth, both Orr and Gretzky say Gordie's the best ever (although both Orr and Gretzky are humble guys who would never proclaim to be the greatest).

As deadly as Howe's elbows were, according to Bobby Hull, if you played a clean game, Howe would never throw one out. It was only when you started slashing him, or got a cheap hit in (or, I assume, what he thought was a cheap hit).

I finished Orr's book last Christmas, and it's almost maddening how humble he is in the book. I assume Gretzky is the same way. Both guys grew up admiring Howe, and even at the time, I believe he still stood out as the Greatest Player of All-Time, so it makes sense as to why they would think that. For the record, like The Hockey News, I have always maintained the three are in a 1a, 1b, and 1c for that title, with Lemieux only slightly behind in fourth (no, I will not argue about this in this thread!).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I got to meet Gordie when I was a kid, I'll have to post the picture when I get home. Super nice guy.

Also holy poo poo Gordie had guns back in the day. I love that picture of him with Gretzky too :unsmith:

E: Bewbies that is an awesome post, no bullshit. That's some crazy perspective.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I kinda love that Gordie saw Gretzky's excellence early and helped nurture it. The fact that the 3 greatest ever are huge champions of minor hockey is the most wonderful thing. It's also cool that Sid Crosby is continuing the tradition.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

:(

The hilarious thing about the Gordie Howe hat trick is that he only had two himself in his career.

Fellow I work with, from the Netherlands, told me that on one of his flights from Charlottetown to Calgary for an interview for the job he got bumped to first class and sat next to this fellow who appeared to want to chat with him, but he was working on his news paper. Finally his seat mate said "hey, if I could get your paper when you are done with it I'll give you an autographed photo". My colleague said "hey no problem here's the paper, sorry I'm dutch but apparently I should recognize you?" His seat mate simply said "I was pretty good at hockey at one point." He took out a photo and signed it, of course, "Gordie Howe"

I still give him poo poo over it.

e. my favourite thing about Gordie, Cup banners in the Joe aside, is

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 17, 2014

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Y'know, Mark and Marty were pretty good too. Mark in particular is kinda underrated, IMO.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Gordie Howe Appreciation Station - Long Live the King

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Y'know, Mark and Marty were pretty good too. Mark in particular is kinda underrated, IMO.

He doesn't get talked about much but he is in the HHOF and Philadelphia retired his number just 2 years ago, so that's cool.

E:

Wiki posted:

Howe's number became only the fifth number to be retired by the Flyers in the club's then 44-season history following those of Bernie Parent (1), Bobby Clarke (16), Bill Barber (7) and the late Barry Ashbee (4). He was also the first to be so honored by the club since Barber's jersey was retired on October 11, 1990. With the retirement of Mark Howe's number 2 by the Flyers, Mark and Gordie Howe became only the second father-and-son combinations (Brett and Bobby Hull being the other) to have their numbers retired by NHL franchises.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Yeah, I purposely left out his sons, mostly because I wanted to focus on Gordie, but Mark was a very good defenseman, and it was terrible that it took so long for him to make the HHOF. I wonder how much better he would have fared if he played his first six seasons in the NHL?

Bilirubin posted:

e. my favourite thing about Gordie, Cup banners in the Joe aside, is

I also love that he came back for one shift in the IHL in the late-90s so that he could say he is the only player ever to play over six decades. I assume this "record" will probably never be broken.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

When I am explaining to people that aren't intimately familiar with the game some of its legends and personalities, I mention this exact scene. It tends to be universally heartwarming. Who can't love this? Dad's too fuckin' tough for a helmet. On a human level I'm incapable of not cracking a smile.

The subject of character in hockey is overly politicized and exploited but if anyone is worthy of such widespread celebration it's Gordie, both for his survivors and the wonderful beneficial commiseration it's brought hockey. I hope his family and those that are suffering this far worse than we are feel the love.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I just finished Gordie Howe's book that came out this year, and it has some great stories. He tells the time of how a young Stan Mikita got a cheap shot on him, and how he waited to retaliate, like, four games later. There was even a time when J.C. Tremblay said something to him during the offseason, and Howe got him back six months later in a game.

It's a good, short read, and I recommend it to everyone with an interest in Howe.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Twin Cinema posted:

Yeah, I purposely left out his sons, mostly because I wanted to focus on Gordie, but Mark was a very good defenseman, and it was terrible that it took so long for him to make the HHOF. I wonder how much better he would have fared if he played his first six seasons in the NHL?

He was have been in the HHOF a lot earlier. The only reason it took soon long is the WHL stuff, he's at least in the top 5 dmen of his era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

He was have been in the HHOF a lot earlier. The only reason it took soon long is the WHL stuff, he's at least in the top 5 dmen of his era.

I wouldn't name him one of the top 5 dmen of his era, which seems like a slight, but he just played in such a great era for historically great dmen. Guys like Bourque, Salming, Park, Coffey, and Potvin (off the top of my head) are probably historically better than Mark. However, he is definitely one of the top 25 of all-time, and there were a number of years in the early 2000s where he could have easily been inducted.

• Locked thread