Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Red Bones posted:

I'd be interested in seeing what it's like. Can you turn on PMs and we can work something out?

Ooh, forgot about that. PM sent!

Crap, new page.

I always wondered why Valve cut the Pneumatic Diversity Vents https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOH6BprN9FI from Portal 2, despite them being advertised in a separate video.

laserghost fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
In Persona 3 they have hidden developer/debug abilities that are impossible to encounter in normal gameplay and the translators not only kept them in but even had the voice actors make chastising remarks if you use a cheat device to unlock them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvPcoHeXcOw

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
On a Giant Bomb's Thursday Night Throwdown, they had Dave Lang on as a guest and during that he mentioned working on NHL Breakaway 98 for the N64 and after completing the game noticing how much unused space was left on the cart. So he and the other developers put in a secret slideshow of them and their families behind a long sequence of button presses. Lang didn't remember what the sequence was anymore and gamefaqs or any game cheats site didn't know about it either, but someone did found the slideshow using memory values in an emulator. Also in the game they put some of their kids seen in the slideshow as hidden players, so you could have a 2-3 foot tall hockey player named Olivia with max stats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D09yz9N0T-E

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

laserghost posted:

I always wondered why Valve cut the Pneumatic Diversity Vents from Portal 2, despite them being advertised in a separate video.
Apparently it was because of a mixture of "confusing players" and "not really having much of a purpose beyond making turrets go away".

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Portal 1 and 2 were focus-tested to hell and back judging by those commentaries

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Here's an old Gamasutra article explaining the copy protection in Spyro: Year of the Dragon and how they managed to rig it up in such a way to make it so annoying to disable all the different layers of checksums and copy protection and figure out all the subtle ways the game hosed with you if it detected it was modified that it took two months for a working crack to appear when most games are cracked before they even come out.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, it's a little disingenuous to say that the time delay had to do with any special complexity of their protection. New schemes always take time, the ones that are cracked before launch use existing tools where most of the work is already done ahead of time.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Just had a friend link me this video. Two tracks in Startropics are bugged, one has overruns a buffer size causing things to screw up, and another had an extra 0 causing a baseline to be removed pretty much entirely. Somebody's fixed both of them and you can hear the intended songs here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmUvGH2HMuc

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Dr. Dos posted:

Just had a friend link me this video. Two tracks in Startropics are bugged, one has overruns a buffer size causing things to screw up, and another had an extra 0 causing a baseline to be removed pretty much entirely. Somebody's fixed both of them and you can hear the intended songs here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmUvGH2HMuc

Hey, that's pretty neat! I don't remember the overworld music getting all screwy when I played so long ago. The ending song sounds so much better though!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you wear a Legend of Zelda poo poo and enter the Konami code 20 times on the main screen of the new CoD game it calls you a basic bitch before the disc shreds its self.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Robo Reagan posted:

If you wear a Legend of Zelda poo poo

Tell us more about how you wear feces, Robo Reagan.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
My favorite cut content is all the extra poo poo that never made the final version of Metal Gear Solid 2. It was originally supposed to include at least two additional bosses, one of which was a Vietnamese martial artist named Chinaman. Apparently he had magical Asian powers and could make the dragon tattoo on his chest come to life and attack the player. They ended up working the mechanics of his fight into the first Vamp envounter instead and wrote Chinaman out of the story.

Also the entire last act of the game was completely rewritten and was originally supposed to include a katana fight with the president in the oval office or something ridiculous.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Secret of Mana had a glitch where you landed on a tiny island in the north part of the map and itd put you at the cat trader, then you'd have to reset the game and fight until you reach the first boss in a new game and you get a sword upgrade orb. Then, you'd reset again and the orb would appear in your current save game and you could upgrade your sword to the cut Mana Sword. It's amazing that somebody found a way to get that thing in the regular game.

I also love to see hidden debug rooms and cut stuff like this one in Terranigma:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48IQLKw4ZSo

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Which Genesis RPG was it where if you used a Game Genie to give yourself an escape rope in the intro dungeon it warps you to the king who praises your initiative but says you've broken the game sequence and need to reset your console?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

This is the full version of a map from Illusion of Gaia which you only see a very small part of for a brief moment in a mode 7 perspective (at the end of Angkor Wat). It's actually a map of the area around Shinjuku station, topographically accurate. That shrine is there in real life and the names on the buildings are spoofs on the names of real department stores.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

Which Genesis RPG was it where if you used a Game Genie to give yourself an escape rope in the intro dungeon it warps you to the king who praises your initiative but says you've broken the game sequence and need to reset your console?

Sounds like Phantasy Star 3.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Luigi Thirty posted:

As stated, it's Phantasy Star 3. You don't even need a Game Genie, just sell all your clothes and buy the Escapipe.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Broseph Brostar posted:

My favorite cut content is all the extra poo poo that never made the final version of Metal Gear Solid 2. It was originally supposed to include at least two additional bosses, one of which was a Vietnamese martial artist named Chinaman. Apparently he had magical Asian powers and could make the dragon tattoo on his chest come to life and attack the player. They ended up working the mechanics of his fight into the first Vamp envounter instead and wrote Chinaman out of the story.

Also the entire last act of the game was completely rewritten and was originally supposed to include a katana fight with the president in the oval office or something ridiculous.

Never heard about the fight with Solidus being in the oval office before, but a lot of Manhattan's destruction and the Arsenal Gear sequence in general got cut because 9/11 happened. That's why there's a jarring cut between the characters being in Arsenal to being on the rooftop of Federal Hall.

On the theme of 9/11, GTA 3 had bit of content removed because of it, mostly cosmetic things like a few extra lines on Chatterbox, police cars were recolored and one mission was removed entirely. There was also originally a character named Darkel who'd give the player missions that were terrorist themed in nature that was rumored to be cut because of 9/11 but Dan Houser claimed Darkel was cut a few months before 9/11 happened.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
On that note, Sega cancelled an entire finished game (probably) because of 9/11:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propeller_Arena

Too bad, it's a fun game. Thankfully it eventually leaked and can now be played.

There was also a 4th game in the seires of games that Disaster Report and Raw Danger are part of that was cancelled because of the earthquakes/tsunami in 2011.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zettai_Zetsumei_Toshi_4:_Summer_Memories

Has to really suck to me a smaller company like Irem, make most of a ps3 game, and have to drop it completely because (from a business perspective, not trying to minimize a disaster here) some weather happened. Maybe it would be seen as tasteless or whatever, but that's a lot of company hours spent on nothing. They had to go back to making pachinko games because of it.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 22, 2014

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Aww, I love this thread idea. I love cut stuff. TCRF sucks up way too much of my time.

I'm playing Secret of Mana right now, so I went and looked it up. Originally, the boy hero could apparently cast magic.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

How could I forget Pop Fiction?
http://www.gametrailers.com/shows/pop-fiction

This series is a Mythbusters style web show about confirming or debunking mysteries and rumors in popular games. They've been slacking big time recently and some of the newer episodes are just bad, but it tends to cover that's relevant to this thread too.

...which reminds me of the crazy unused stuff in Shadow of the Colossus!
The map was planned to be much bigger. Some cool areas are still modeled in the game but inaccessible. Not to mention two colossus that were cut. How 'bout a couple of unused wearable items that work, or an unused music track? This game's cut content pretty much has it all.
http://tcrf.net/Shadow_of_the_Colossus

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I always loved the Banjo-Kazooie stuff, if only because the game taunted you with inaccessible poo poo even without cheats:

http://tcrf.net/Banjo-Kazooie

Though I don't get the first sentence of this article:

quote:

In Banjo-Kazooie, Mario fell into a nuclear power plant and mutated into a strange bear with a bird stuck to his back. The same fallout transformed all the Power Stars into Jiggys as well.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Rare's official explanation for cutting that mode was that, as cool as it was in concept, it wasn't actually that fun to play. Also, they couldn't figure out a way to let the second player control bosses, which they really wanted as the centerpiece of the mode.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JosefStalinator posted:

Though I don't get the first sentence of this article:
It's just a jokey explanation of the game.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
A lot of the article intros on TCRF are just sarcastic descriptions of the games.

Heran Bago posted:

How could I forget Pop Fiction?
http://www.gametrailers.com/shows/pop-fiction

This series is a Mythbusters style web show about confirming or debunking mysteries and rumors in popular games. They've been slacking big time recently and some of the newer episodes are just bad, but it tends to cover that's relevant to this thread too.

Pop Fiction was always neat but in later episodes the quality really dropped. I haven't bothered watching most of the later episodes... a shame, since some of them were actually really well done, like the one about Zelda 1's bizarre "10th enemy" bomb drops.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Bean posted:

Aww, I love this thread idea. I love cut stuff. TCRF sucks up way too much of my time.

I'm playing Secret of Mana right now, so I went and looked it up. Originally, the boy hero could apparently cast magic.

SoM was originally going to be a SNES CD game and they cut out a large part of the game's content when they switched to cartridge. Although I think the stuff they cut was mostly going to be things like animation frames and cutscenes rather than parts of the story. The later part of the game, after the Empire and when you have to activate the moon, light and darkness seeds seems weirdly stunted, similar to the Triforce hunting part in Wind Waker, though. And we never get any explanation of what happens to Thanatos' other henchmen, they just turn into bosses.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
The parts where you get told to go back to Joch's mountain and he tells you to go someplace else feel like the scars left by cutting parts of the story. I've soured a lot on SoM after learning about how much got cut.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Rocketlex posted:

Rare's official explanation for cutting that mode was that, as cool as it was in concept, it wasn't actually that fun to play. Also, they couldn't figure out a way to let the second player control bosses, which they really wanted as the centerpiece of the mode.

Its a shame that they could event get it to work, that would have been a great mode. They tried it again with Perfect Dark but it always resulted in one player stomping the other.

I liked how the Stop n Swap functionality was later "restored" as a feature in the 360 port, and required you to buy the first game and Nuts n Bolts to get all the hidden stuff in Banjo Tooie.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
I need to do other things but tcrf is like tvtropes in terms of addictivness. Fml

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
The one I think I like the most personally is the unreleased Star Fox 2 ROM that was basically complete and introduces a lot of mechanics that were first seen in later games.

http://tcrf.net/Star_Fox_2

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

There's a female Maxwell hanging out in the files of Scribblenauts. I would have loved to play as a girl.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

the ps2 version of the the first half life game had a graphical update and brought back the voice actors for new recorded lines. they decided to have some fun while they were at it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Playing Saints Row 4 and having my long physics-enabled anime ponytails streaming out of the window of a car after jumping in through the driver's side window just makes me sader that they had to cut the ludicrously-sized physics-enabled dicks out of the Saints Row games due to censorship issues.

Bean posted:

There's a female Maxwell hanging out in the files of Scribblenauts. I would have loved to play as a girl.

This made its way into the sequels since Maxwell's sister Lily is playable in Scribblenauts Unlimited, but you have to beat the game to unlock her instead of getting to pick whether you want to play as a boy or girl at the beginning. Which is kind of a dick move for a game that has so much appeal to kids and casual players and where customization is such a focus.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Somebody dumped the debug symbols from Carmageddon 1, and some of the symbol names are... well... let's just look at them:

MakeFlagWavingBastardWaveHisFlagWhichIsTheProbablyTheLastThingHeWillEverDo()
DrawSceneyMappyInfoVieweyThing()
GetLargestPacketSizeOoErBetterInsertLinfordChristieJokeHere()
PDGrabLargestMammaryWeCanPlayWith()
AmIGettingBoredWatchingCameraSpin()
CalcOpponentConspicuousnessWithAViewToCheatingLikeFuck()
DontLetFlicFuckWithPalettes()
LetFlicFuckWithPalettes()
OoerrIveGotTextInMeBoxMissus()
FindAHeadupHoleWoofBarkSoundsABitRude()
SaySorryYouLittleBastard()
CarWorldOffFallenCheckThingy()
KnackerThisCar()
_gNumber_of_cops_before_faffage
_gReally_stupid_ped_bug_enable
_gMinimum_yness_before_knackerisation
_gWanky_arse_tit_fuck

The Kins fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 4, 2014

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Here's something interesting - in Mario Artist: Talent Studio (one of the 64DD programs that is basically an early version of Miis that could have actual photos as faces combined with an animation studio), there's a hidden clip of then-president Hiroshi Yamauchi talking about the game and the 64DD that you can load into the game and view once you extract it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DM2Bs91xc8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Smash Bros U has a 4th unused custom move animation for every special move for every character. Aside from Mario's they are not given collision. TCRF isn't letting anyone put it on the site though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ce9K1xaaAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJQ5MC7r1ps

• Locked thread