Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Daniel Bryan posted:

What? He was one of the most consistently pushed guys from 2006 until retirement. I never thought he was a super worker but a really good one. A great promo though.

There's guys you can argue weren't pushed and that hurts them, I'm not sure Edge is one of them.

I'm not saying he wasn't pushed. I'm just saying he was someone they obviously never felt comfortable being all in on. They never treated him like a "face of the company" IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChampRamp posted:

The issue is that I think Tanahashi was one of the major stars when business was bad, not just starting at that point in time. I wish I could find real business numbers, but he was in a top spot going back to like Wrestle Kingdom 1.

Are you really this dense? Tanahashi did not become the guy until after business crashed. Business was going down in the mid 2000s and reached a low when Lesnar won the title. That led to them only drawing 16,000 to the Dome. At the January 4th show prior to this Tanahashi and Nakamura headlined with the U-30 title and the show drew 40,000. The company wouldn't give them the ball and went with Lesnar, then centered the Dome show around poo poo people didn't care about like NJ vs AJ and TNA. This is like saying "Steve Austin was in in the real main event of Wrestlemania 13, but the company almost went out of business after that." Yes the turnaround took much longer after Tanahashi became the biggest star, but the company had more management problems and baggage at that point.

When a guy becomes the top guy in a really bad period where the company is booking total garbage and alienating the fans it isn't his fault things are bad. When the same guy develops his character and helps drag the company out of the gutter and then to several years of profitability you can tell it wasn't his fault and in fact he is a big draw.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

MassRafTer posted:

Yes the turnaround took much longer after Tanahashi became the biggest star, but the company had more management problems and baggage at that point.

That's really all you had to say. I overestimated how quick the turnaround should have been.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm not saying he wasn't pushed. I'm just saying he was someone they obviously never felt comfortable being all in on. They never treated him like a "face of the company" IMO.

Okay now you're talking about what-ifs. I just want to know if Edge drew like I sometimes hear about when he was pushed. I know about the couple of Raw ratings when he first got the WWE title and want to know more.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
what is the timeline of the new japan turnaround in business? is there a good source for non-worked attendance figures other than trawling through old observers?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Spermgod posted:

what is the timeline of the new japan turnaround in business? is there a good source for non-worked attendance figures other than trawling through old observers?

SSS seems to be reporting the same numbers Meltzer does for the Bushiroad period. Can't speak for the accuracy of their Inoki or Yukes era numbers.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Spermgod posted:

The numbers from WK7 and on have been shoot with acknowledging that numbers before that have been worked with papering the dome. Big Dave has mentioned in the past the doubling of NJPW income after worker distributions. I don't remember if this is based of the figure of pre-Ustream to today or of it was based on year-to-year comparison.

To answer your second question it is all hearsay or conversation from workers beyond Meltzer. I haven't heard a figure beyond percentages from anyone else but him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm surprised to see Dave didn't vote for Brock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

MassRafTer posted:

I'm surprised to see Dave didn't vote for Brock.

Same. All that arguing on the board about whether MMA counts and Dave didn't even vote for him. Dave is the best Internet troll.

• Locked thread