Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Nihnoz posted:

and I'll be the first dude to say I don't like jrpgs. But I do like dragon quest.

how can you not like jrpgs but like dragon quest, the most "jrpg" jrpg to ever exist

it literally invented the genre (that and japanese made wizardry sequels, but the only difference dragon quest has from one of those is art by the dude that made dragon ball)

Dr Pepper posted:

if you think you need to grind then it means youre bad

i didn't say you need to grind, I said all that matters is your numbers vs the enemy. keep your numbers up and make the enemies numbers go down, make sure you have enough numbers to buy enough potions that you don't run out. that's the gameplay of dragon quest, that and watching cutscenes or walking down endless fields/hallways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

darealkooky posted:

it's hard to judge good/bad at dragon quest when the gameplay is so loving bare bones

give this fag the yoda tag

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

darealkooky posted:

how can you not like jrpgs but like dragon quest, the most "jrpg" jrpg to ever exist

it literally invented the genre (that and japanese made wizardry sequels, but the only difference dragon quest has from one of those is art by the dude that made dragon ball)

I like getting my balls twisted and going OH poo poo OH poo poo and it's the only jrpg besides SMT and EO to do that.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I like it when games grab your balls and just grip. I'm using CBT as a metaphor for difficulty.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
anyway it's because ethe combat is so goddamn random that sometimes you just get hosed through no fault of your own and trying to adapt just sets off panic alarms in my head because all your escape options have a chance to fail. It's fun.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

darealkooky posted:

i didn't say you need to grind, I said all that matters is your numbers vs the enemy. keep your numbers up and make the enemies numbers go down, make sure you have enough numbers to buy enough potions that you don't run out. that's the gameplay of dragon quest, that and watching cutscenes or walking down endless fields/hallways

yes like every video game ever made

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
plus dq has the sexiest babes in gaming

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
jessica albert; alena; aira (what a babe); the female hero from dq4 (oh mama); the priest, sage and jester from dq3 (oooh man); the ganguro fairy from 9 (hubba hubba) nara and mara (holy gently caress).

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1wLwQ-uNIM

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Never got into this series as much as I should have, where should I begin?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pladdicus posted:

Never got into this series as much as I should have, where should I begin?

do what i am doing, play 1-9, in order, and stream it, and don't use a guide

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

do what i am doing, play 1-9, in order, and stream it, and don't use a guide

great idea, but imo don't play the nes versions of 1 and 2, get the translated snes port

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

great idea, but imo don't play the nes versions of 1 and 2, get the translated snes port

you have to play the NES ones

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Swelter Discharge posted:

give that dumb human being this av

make it the imp zone ice rear end

http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/File:Ghost_Let's_Do_This_MW2.ogg

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i remember in dq7 there was this really hard boss that kept summoning some really powerful dudes faster than you could kill him. i was stuck until i figured out the normally useless shepherd could just sleep them forever. felt pretty good about that as a kid

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
grinding is really only kinda needed in 1 and 2 anyway, and if you want the best items and stuff always grind metal slimes, imo, which is a game in itself

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

grinding is really only kinda needed in 1 and 2 anyway, and if you want the best items and stuff always grind metal slimes, imo, which is a game in itself

the final story boss in VI was really hard and required preplanned class unlocks and shiznit.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

the final story boss in VI was really hard and required preplanned class unlocks and shiznit.

personally I never minded "grinding" I was just saying it's not as needed as most people assume, I think that the secret boss in 8 was the most I grinded

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Sick av and gangtag.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I wanna be one of the gay boiz.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

YourHealthyColon posted:

I'm on chapter 3 and I'm getting really tired of throwing chickenshit redshirt characters at endless hordes of

lvl 1-10 is always the worst part of RPGs so why are they making me do this multiple times in a row? Do I have anything to look forward to or should I just move on to DQ5

You're dumb.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Thug Lessons posted:

I wanna be one of the gay boiz.

good news, you already are

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I hate grinding.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

This game is really good.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

good news, you already are

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thug Lessons posted:

Sick av and gangtag.

Lol

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

The av should link to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJCo-NuyMWs

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

play DQ9 instead op

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

dq9 is fine because playing dressup always owns but the class system really blows

bring back the old class system for the next dq pls

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
dq9 is a fucktarded mmo and I hate it.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Nihnoz posted:

dq9 is a fucktarded mmo and I hate it.

Yeah. It's definitely one of the weaker DQ games.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
While I don't normally agree with or respect darealkooky's opinions, I must say I'm not terribly fond of the Dragon Quest series, but I am however quite glad others are capable of gleaming such enjoyment from it

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
You already beat Chapter 1, the high point of the game; it's all downhill after Ragnar and Healie.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

dragon quest 4 is literally the only jrpg that was able to or even had the possibility to pull off cliffhangers, thanks to the chapter structure

it's kewl just due to that alone

also if you hate taloon you hate gaming, tia

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
You guys pick the male or female main character? I chose the heroine for my playthrough because I am one of those weird guys that likes to play as female in RPGs when given the choice, which may be indicative of secret vagina envy.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Leroy Dennui posted:

You guys pick the male or female main character? I chose the heroine for my playthrough because I am one of those weird guys that likes to play as female in RPGs when given the choice, which may be indicative of secret vagina envy.

the female hero is rlly sexy. she has big poofy curly hair.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
op never, dragon quest games exist only to disappoint you once you realize that you're playing dragon quest 1 with marginally better graphics after playing for a few hours

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's a shame we never got the 4 remake for PSX

Did it ever get a fan patch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

give that dumb human being this av