Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
My Dell 2007WFP flickers when you turn it on. I disassembled it expecting a blown cap on the logic or daughterboard but all looks good. I looked at the inverter board and unfortunately one of the MOSFETs is fried. There is some brown goo around the top of the PCB. On the back it looks like it arced from one of the solder points across the traces leading to some being connected.

I'm thinking my best bet is to watch ebay and watch for an inverter board replacement to pop up, but is it feasible to replace the MOSFET? It says 1J.26061.001 400IR 635001. I guess I would have to clean up the traces as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
The "brown goo" looks like solder flux, so it has probably always been there.

Can you post a pic of the actual mosfet?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

theperminator posted:

The "brown goo" looks like solder flux, so it has probably always been there.

Can you post a pic of the actual mosfet?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
This is what the other two look like on the back of the PCB.

The front of the other two don't have that goo under them on the front either.

I assumed it was the MOSFET because it looks different on the front and back from the other two.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Also just to clarify, the monitor turns on, but it just cycles through all the inputs continuously without stopping. There is a faint high pitch whine. The backlight seems to be working fine (which is why I was looking at the logic board originally). I didn't look at the power board since it's not a power issue. I only looked at the inverter board after not seeing any swollen or burst caps or bad traces on the logic/daughter boards. That's when I saw this pretty gnarly looking transformer so I figured it was the most likely problem.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
That big block there is not a mosfet, but I think you have that covered already. If the backlight itself still works, i'd be hesitant to point the finger at it as the culprit. Have you checked that there is nothing wrong with the button to change the input mode?

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Looks like it's a transformer, though I can't seem to find any replacements these guys have a big range http://www.lcdparts.net/Transformer3D.aspx

Maybe email them and ask them if they have a compatible part?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

That big block there is not a mosfet, but I think you have that covered already. If the backlight itself still works, i'd be hesitant to point the finger at it as the culprit. Have you checked that there is nothing wrong with the button to change the input mode?
I'll take it apart again and look at how those buttons feed in to the board. I guess this could actually be the simplest explanation.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
So the controls board looks fine. It routes in to the logic board by a ribbon cable. The logic board then passes off to a daughterboard. When I give the monitor power there is a high pitch whine and some heat coming from the bottom right of the daughterboard (I think it is the cap adjacent to the glue). I was originally looking for a bad 25V 220uF cap, of which there are eight on the daughterboard and none on the logic board. I think I will go ahead with my plan to replace all eight of these caps as I think one of them is bad.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
This guy and a couple others at badcaps have had luck replacing the 272 chip resistor under the strip of glue so I might try that as well.

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15984&page=2

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
Before replacing any suspect parts why not grab a multimeter and test what you can first (e.g., those caps)?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

booshi posted:

Before replacing any suspect parts why not grab a multimeter and test what you can first (e.g., those caps)?
Good idea. I am learning as I go.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I got a multimeter, two of the eight 225uF 25V caps tested bad, I replaced them all and now it no longer jumps around the input sources but doesn't seem to detect an input. So it seems it is half fixed.

It still makes a electronic whine when supplied with power, when all but the logic daughterboard are powered there is no whine. This leaves five smaller capacitors and the three copper coils wrapped in black plastic - what are these? Labeled 1J.40229.011 LT SJ with 0631 written on reverse.

I think they are inductors - they all seem fine. Can they make an electronic whine or would it more likely be the capacitors?

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Nov 28, 2014

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coil_noise

Which one is the logic daughterboard?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I listened to some videos with coil whine and it doesn't seem to be the same noise. This noise is just high pitched and constant. I've isolated it to this board. USB ports on the side of the monitor plug in to it and it has USB outputs soldered on as well. It is necessary to power on.

What I've been calling a logic daughter board (on the right, since it directly attaches to the logic board on the left) is apparently called a power coverter board (part 5EL2J08001).

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 28, 2014

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The little 10uF 25v cap seems a bit wonky on the meter and looks a bit weird on the bottom. I'll swap that one and see if the problems persist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Well, with my limited understanding of this stuff, it could just be there is a different resonant or switching frequency than the coil whine videos you can find on the internet. It's almost certainly from the wire inductors there vibrating in time with whatever is switching about in that circuit.

• Locked thread