Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Our company has a large fleet of HP Revolve G2 laptops with a special kind of SSD. From researching these I've found the drive type is said to be M.2 - here's a picture of what they look like.

I need a drive reader to pull data from the drives in case they are not bootable. For now we can slap them in another G2 but if the OS is hosed I'm out of luck.

I've only been able to find card readers that had a M2 slot which is definitely not the correct size. I've tried putting this drive in several different slots like MS, MS Pro etc and while it seems to fit it never reads the drive.

Does anyone know of a reliable card reader for these? I've reached out to several vendors including CDW and no one could find me anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthetic Violence
Oct 18, 2012

Fuck machine.
Grimey Drawer
m.2 PCIE to PCIE x 4
Adapter

I'm guessing you need something like that. Assuming it follows the standard, that drive is one of the new PCIE SSDs. I don't know if anyone makes a USB reader for one yet, but you should be able to plug that drive into that adapter and do what you need too.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Are you sure? I don't see how the drive chip even connects to that

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
You slide it into the black connector marked "NGFF".

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
The million pin connector next to where it says NGFF on the PCB is where the pins on your drive go, the metal standoff by 2260 on the PCB is where the other end sits.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Got it! So another question, do they make a PCIE adapter to connect with USB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

FYI one of our security guys found a link for exactly what I needed:

http://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/mydigitalssd-bp5-usb-3.0-sata-m2-ngff-2242-2260-2280-ssd-enclosure-adapter-with-uasp-support/

• Locked thread