Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

I figured it was about time to replace my phone, and after some shopping around I decided to give the BLU Star 4.0 S410a a try. I examined the specs and for the price it seems like this phone would do what I want, mainly take advantage of my carrier's 4G network instead of the crappy 3G I have now, and shoot video in something better then 640x480. I couldn't find much out about this particular model, only that it was at least a step up from those Chinese knockoff phones that look like legit phones but are nowhere near as good. So I figured i'd satisfy my curiosity and make an attempt at a decent review. And I figured if it didn't work right or caught on fire, I could simply return it and get another model.

So I order the phone online, and it arrives. I give it a day to charge as the instructions said. Looking good so far! Comes with a screen protector already fitted. Nice. Has ear buds... ugh... well not like I'm ever going to use those. Instruction manual is in proper English. That gives me hope.

So time to check this baby out!

Hm, interesting startup screen.

OK there's the welcome screen, and...

Wait, what?

Never seen that feature on a phone before, hm. Well lets get this baby set up and see what it can do.

So far the interface is pretty unique, in that I need to guess where to touch on the screen most of the time. Occasionally the screen pops back to normal to give me a hint though. That's uh, challenging, but I'm up to the challenge.

Oh poo. It can't find my Wi-Fi. Well we'll worry about that later. Lets press on.

I don't remember Android Jelly Bean looking like this. This must be some custom Android user interface... designed by somebody 20 minutes after they dropped acid.

Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to return this phone since the Wi-Fi appears to be defective, and I have to say I'm not a fan of this wacky new user interface.

So yeah I just thought I'd share my experience with this particular phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victorian Gentleman
Nov 24, 2007
You sir clearly have no etiquette
What a lovely phone, Im curious how much did this piece of crap cost?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
That doesn't even look usable.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

We demand videos

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

:pwn:

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Victorian Gentleman posted:

What a lovely phone, Im curious how much did this piece of crap cost?
Looks like it's $69 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/BLU-S410a-Unlocked-Smartphone-Touchscreen/dp/B00J7Y90RO

Its camera and screen have the same resolution as my HTC Windows Mobile phone from the year 2009.

Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

baka kaba posted:

We demand videos

I did shoot a crappy low res video for their tech support which took too long to get back to me and when they replied they asked me to fill out some stupid form instead of actually being helpful

here you go

well now I went and just bought a real phone. A motorola Atrix HD It just arrived so lets hope its not hosed up too

Cracked_Gear fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 16, 2014

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

td4guy posted:

Looks like it's $69 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/BLU-S410a-Unlocked-Smartphone-Touchscreen/dp/B00J7Y90RO

Its camera and screen have the same resolution as my HTC Windows Mobile phone from the year 2009.

If it were 2013 I'd say buy a (higher end) phone from Blu. I had the Life Play and got to play with the Life Pure and both were solid phones even with the lovely Mediatek cpu. Nice IPS displays, snappy performance, and Microsd support on the former. Battery life, community support, and some minor quirks were the only downsides really. For $200 the Life Play was an awesome phone at the time but when the Moto G, E, and even X can be had for under $200 now, I wouldn't even think of buying another Blu, especially one that's less than $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Cracked_Gear posted:

I did shoot a crappy low res video for their tech support which took too long to get back to me and when they replied they asked me to fill out some stupid form instead of actually being helpful

here you go

well now I went and just bought a real phone. A motorola Atrix HD It just arrived so lets hope its not hosed up too

This is wild. Sounds like the Predator

• Locked thread