Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which team will be 0-8 Florida A&M's first win in December?
This poll is closed.
South Carolina State 3 5.26%
Miskatonic 18 31.58%
North Florida 1 1.75%
Florida International 3 5.26%
Trick question, there's no such school as Florida A&M 32 56.14%
Total: 57 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Yeah, the Columbia game was ugly as hell and should be forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Kansas basketball cannot lose enough games.

Content: The Pac-12 is really, aggressively weak and may only get 3 bids in the tournament again. Ugh.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Is this the year that Kansas may not win the Big 12 for the 50th straight year? Seems like Texas could be a serious threat, although I've felt this way in the past and Kansas still puts it together in conference play while others gently caress up.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Texas is really good, especially when Isaiah Taylor is healthy, and ISU could challege for it too, but I will believe KU isn't winning the Big XII when they actually lose it. They're going to get better as they start to more effectively work Alexander and Oubre into the rotation.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

It's two games in a really rough schedule, with two wins over ranked teams and two other wins over major programs (Florida and Georgetown). Yeah, both losses were extreme trouncings, but acting like they're having a season like Michigan or Mizzou is a weird take.

But the team should've lost more, and I'm amazed with the record so far. The team just has no length, it seems, and gets blocked a bajillion times a game. That and the shooting has more cold spots than usual and the given high turnover style that Self's offenses have always had, and the team looks kinda like poo poo. But the last time I thought that about KU, they went to the championship game (before getting trounced by a familiar foe) so maybe they'll surprise me.

(Then again, I'm probably just being an over-sensitive baby and you just mean, "Ha ha, gently caress you, Kansas," but I'm still impressed with that record all things considered.)

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 24, 2014

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Hopefully they will lose to TCU again and still manage to win the big 12.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Content: The Pac-12 is really, aggressively weak and may only get 3 bids in the tournament again. Ugh.

UW looks pretty good somehow

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I get that Kansas losing to Temple is bad. They were on the road though and Texas just lost to Stanford at home and Stanford is worse than Temple.

I guess my point is never underestimate Texas' ability to blow it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is Rick Barnes fired yet?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

kiimo posted:

I get that Kansas losing to Temple is bad. They were on the road though and Texas just lost to Stanford at home and Stanford is worse than Temple.

I guess my point is never underestimate Texas' ability to blow it.

Kansas will lose at Austin, but the refs will gift KU a win in Lawrence. That oughtta be enough to win the conference, I'd think. But all streaks have to end eventually.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Probably Magic posted:

Kansas will lose at Austin, but the refs will gift KU a win in Lawrence. That oughtta be enough to win the conference, I'd think. But all streaks have to end eventually.

I want the championship to run through Morgantown >:D

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

UW looks pretty good somehow

All due to Robert Upshaw, I think. He's made a world of difference for them.

And Nigel Williams-Goss may be the nation's most underrated player.

Gringo Mystique
Aug 28, 2000

Law should be like death, which spares no one.
News: Kentucky beat the #4 team in the country on their home floor by 8 while committing 18 turnovers

Views: :cool:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
BREAKING: Kentucky is the best team in the country,

--

In other news, I went and watched UNLV play last night against Southern Utah. I think UNLV can be good this year and would not want to see them in March.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
What I've learned about Ohio State basketball 2014:

-They beat the poo poo out of cupcakes

-They lost to the 2 decent teams they played

????????

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

BREAKING: Kentucky is the best team in the country,

--

In other news, I went and watched UNLV play last night against Southern Utah. I think UNLV can be good this year and would not want to see them in March.

I look pretty bad for calling for Rice's head after the Utah game. The team seems to have gotten it together for the Arizona game and it was nice kept it for Southern Utah. Losing that Utah game felt so drat bad but if it was useful in their transformation then oh well. I hope that it continues to come together and they get to do something in March.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Kentucky fans always need something to freak out about so now we've resorted to thinking Calipari is going to leave if we go undefeated

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Bishop posted:

Kentucky fans always need something to freak out about so now we've resorted to thinking Calipari is going to leave if we go undefeated

The Siren's Call of the Knicks...

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Unrelated, KenPom decided to do something cool and figure out which NCAA ref's call the most fouls:

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/ted_valentine_hates_to_call_fouls

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The Siren's Call of the Knicks...
Cavs is what I keep hearing but it's hard to overstate how much of a dumb rumor it is. Logically he's the god king of Lexington but I could see him wanting to prove he can be a success in the NBA.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Bishop posted:

Cavs is what I keep hearing but it's hard to overstate how much of a dumb rumor it is. Logically he's the god king of Lexington but I could see him wanting to prove he can be a success in the NBA.

Bring paid more then an NBA coach and getting to be a god king generally works.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Another brutal loving loss for Michigan State. This season is shaping up to be worse than 2010-11. How many times did we have Maryland on the ropes?

-Valentine 3 overturned with no conclusive evidence
-Costello misses huge free throw late in regulation
-Izzo timeout costs Bryn Forbes a free layup
-Izzo timeout sets up Maryland's last play
-Failure to foul leads to game-tying three at the end of regulation (to be fair, Terps were 2-19 at that point and it was a contested look)
-Valentine half-court three hits heel of the rim
-Forbes misses 1/2 technical free throws in OT
-Forbes misses wide-open game-winner at the end of OT
-Alvin Ellis misses game-tying free throw on an and-one in 2OT

What am I missing? God dammit..

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
well at least the Big Ten is getting its losses out of the way early so we don't have to hear "well they're all really good from top to bottom, that's why nobody really stands out" all season long.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0bFYvXVH5Q

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Bishop posted:

Logically he's the god king of Lexington

This doesn't matter

quote:

but I could see him wanting to prove he can be a success in the NBA.

This does matter

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Just in case someone missed the beautiful ending to the Florida/FSU game last night (from GDT): https://vine.co/v/OwXqgxbKKz0

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

The Gamecocks dominated NC A&T last night in their final tuneup before the big Iowa State game this weekend. Probably the biggest story against A&T was the appearance of freshman forward Shamiek Sheppard, who was considered unlikely to play this season because of a knee injury he suffered earlier in the year. Prior to getting hurt, he was viewed as a guy who could make an immediate impact for us, so I'm interested to see how he develops. We've been playing great basketball without him and also without getting much from Sindarius Thornwell, so if the two of them get going, could be a fun season.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
7 of the 11 teams in the MWC have a sub 150 RPI

UNLV and SDSU are going to be dancing around a variable minefield this conference season. How did this conference have the top conference RPI like two years ago?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
BYU and Alford-coached New Mexico helped a lot.

vikingstrike posted:

Just in case someone missed the beautiful ending to the Florida/FSU game last night (from GDT): https://vine.co/v/OwXqgxbKKz0
Well that puts the Sparty loss in perspective.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

UNLV and SDSU are going to be dancing around a variable minefield this conference season. How did this conference have the top conference RPI like two years ago?

At least in part because they did a really good job making their non-con schedules in a way that gamed RPI.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Two years ago, the conference's OOC record was stellar, with somewhere around 80% wins. The NCAA teams combined for like ten OOC losses, and Wyoming went undefeated (against a schedule of literal garbage, but hey). Only one team in the conference had a losing record (Fresno) and even then they went 6-7 (4-7 if you exclude non-DI teams).

This year that OOC winning percentage is closer to, like, 63%, and the bottom of the conference looks absolutely terrible (San Jose has zero wins over DI teams so far, Nevada has two, Fresno has three).

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

vikingstrike posted:

That's some Jose Canseco home run off the head poo poo there, Jesus.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I don't know what it is but Florida athletics seem to have a knack for beating themselves recently.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Ugh, Jahlil Okafor is going to gently caress up the ACC. Remember the days when Krzyzewski thought he could get by without one-and-dones? Good times. Good times.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

68k posted:

This doesn't matter

This does matter

Cal stayed at both of his last two college stops for almost a decade and washed out of the NBA in less than three years. I don't think he really has anything to prove because his biggest talents are wasted at the NBA level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Scion of an ancestral procession of idiots stretching back to the Missing Link

Bishop posted:

College BBall is more exciting and more fun than pro BBall. But I may be biased.

• Locked thread