Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine

The game had it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNVZU0DC6AE&feature=youtu.be&t=04m07s

Setting - Alternate 70's oil embargoed America where vehicular combat has become a fact of life.

Gameplay - None of that Twisted Metal crap. This was built around realistic weapons and natural physics. Damage models were sectioned off so that you had to stay on your toes and be mindful of your situation. Battles became tactical through avoiding exposure of damaged sides and your more valuable weapons. All vehicles are based on actual models from the period of the muscle car. Tires became realistically damaged and led to intense missions when you have to outrun the law. Had solid multiplayer as long as you played with people who didn't hack their cars.

Characters - Memorable and well defined. Who wouldn't want to ride along with
and

What other game has a button binded to having your partner recite his poems?

soundtrack - Absolutely incredible and serves as a great album on it's own. Can be downloaded here.

Plot - Play the game to find out.

The lack of games about realistic vehicular combat is inexcusable. Interstate '76 did have a sequel, but it was a watered down mess that is summed up with your car having one big health bar. It does get points for the final boss being President Reagan in a giant robot, but it stripped away all the parts of the original.

So remember,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNVZU0DC6AE&feature=youtu.be&t=09m09s

Yvershek fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Awwwwwwww yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvmpfTQTbZY

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
vigilante 8

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine

quakster posted:

vigilante 8

That was an Playstation offshoot that was made 16 years ago. Veered away from the realistic side in a lot of ways. It did kick rear end though and I played the hell out of it.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

If there's ever a modern reboot, I hope they keep the slick flat-shaded polygons, maybe make them about the same level of detail as Killer7, but with the lighter contrasts Interstate had.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Great Joe posted:

If there's ever a modern reboot, I hope they keep the slick flat-shaded polygons, maybe make them about the same level of detail as Killer7, but with the lighter contrasts Interstate had.

Please. There's something super stylish about flat shaded polys, everything looks super clean. I find modern games with their super detailed textures look messy and indistinct sometimes. Even playing the re-mastered Halo on the 360 with the upgraded graphics had me going in circles sometimes due to how messy it all looked. Going back to the oldschool style helped out massively in places.

GreaseMonkey
Jun 19, 2001
All I've played is the shareware, but even the shareware alone was boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i only ever played the demo of the sequel but it was loving boss. hell, i'd take a '86 sequel. the graphics in 76 are apparently a lot cleaner looking, '86 is one of those games that is trying way too hard to look good like old max paynes.

• Locked thread