Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thetrueoskar
Jan 22, 2011

Niggurath posted:

Japan just has very strange urban legends, like the slit-mouthed woman.

Robindaybird posted:

John Constantine pulled this off by selling his soul to two powerful demons, and if they tried to claim his soul they would spark a massive war in hell - something neither wants so they were forced to cure his cancer to delay things until they figure out what to do.

One of the episodes of the new Constantine show (on NBC, I think?) had a Kuchy in it. I was starting to doze off watching it, and when I heard her say the phrase, jumped out of my seat.

Also, could have sworn he sold it to the top THREE demons in Hell, not just two?

Niggurath posted:

Also there's my own confusion with the sequel being titled Nanashi no Game: Me; because the me is a kanji for eye and I keep mentally thinking it means like 'me' as in 'I'....and I'm just an idiot.

That might be the punny point? Me = me = I = eye = Me? It IS Japan, after all...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Well, he sold it to two demons because a third one was already gunning for his soul due to a previous incident.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

So it's time for the final update but first I just want to say:

But yeah, enjoy this festive treat and have a pleasant holiday; hopefully this makes this day that much brighter and lovelier for you all. Also please enjoy the bonus video and tell me if anyone would actually be interested in seeing me bumble through that game. I can't say if I'll be able to understand it all but I might be able to get some help with at least explaining a little bit of it. I just don't expect an actual translation to surface anytime soon or even a legit attempt at an LP, so I figure why not do it....though obviously I don't feel super inclined to do it if there's no audience for it.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Niggurath posted:

But yeah, enjoy this festive treat and have a pleasant holiday; hopefully this makes this day that much brighter and lovelier for you all. Also please enjoy the bonus video and tell me if anyone would actually be interested in seeing me bumble through that game. I can't say if I'll be able to understand it all but I might be able to get some help with at least explaining a little bit of it. I just don't expect an actual translation to surface anytime soon or even a legit attempt at an LP, so I figure why not do it....though obviously I don't feel super inclined to do it if there's no audience for it.

It doesn't look like anyone's planning to make a fan translation for Nanashi no Game: Me, but I can read the game just fine and dandy. So if there's a good walkthrough available (even a Japanese one), you could get through the game, and I could translate whatever's in the videos. I've been interested in seeing the sequel for a long time, so I'm willing to offer my help if/when you decide to LP this game in full. :)

Burzmali
Oct 22, 2013

Niggurath posted:

Thanks for playing though this game, it's cool to see that folks have been trying to do innovative stuff with the DS that wasn't silly gimmicks. The first bit of the sequel seems to be lining us up for a rehash of the original with a bit of narrative jumping around and a new detection gimmick, if that's all there is, I wouldn't bother struggling through, if there is a more fleshed out story, I'd be interested.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
See, that sequel is what threw me off in Ghost Car's LP. For some reason I'd convinced myself that you could play Road to Sunrise itself after Nanashi no Game was completed.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Ignoring the sequel for a bit - what does the bad ending of the first game look like, I mean, when you don't collect all the items?

In any case, thank you for the LP, It was an interesting look into the J-horror genre.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Thank you for this, Niggurath. It was interesting and atmospheric.

I'd certainly be interested in the sequel, particularly if How Ingratiating can help you with making sense of it.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Bit of a lackluster ending. I suppose if I'd expected something more like a visual novel than a true horror game I might have been less meh about it. It was definitely nicely atmospheric and they did some interesting things with the format, though. And I gotta say that I really enjoyed the orchestral version of the game music that played over the credits; it stands very nicely on its own merits and I wouldn't mind having a copy of that track.

Thanks for the playthrough, Niggurath! I'd be interested in seeing the next one, if you end up doing it. But only if it won't drive you up a wall.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Carbon dioxide posted:

Ignoring the sequel for a bit - what does the bad ending of the first game look like, I mean, when you don't collect all the items?

In any case, thank you for the LP, It was an interesting look into the J-horror genre.
It's not too, too different but someone made a comparative video between the two: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAaMVPVPpM8. I just didn't think making an entirely new video for a different song, some missing cutscene, and the game being spread to your DS (spooky!) was worth a new recording. Still it's nice to hear a fourth rendition of the main theme and just how some changes to the theme can make it tonally different for a situation.

KillerEggplant posted:

Bit of a lackluster ending. I suppose if I'd expected something more like a visual novel than a true horror game I might have been less meh about it. It was definitely nicely atmospheric and they did some interesting things with the format, though. And I gotta say that I really enjoyed the orchestral version of the game music that played over the credits; it stands very nicely on its own merits and I wouldn't mind having a copy of that track.

Thanks for the playthrough, Niggurath! I'd be interested in seeing the next one, if you end up doing it. But only if it won't drive you up a wall.
I'm wanting to say that the soundtrack is available out there, maybe on Itunes in Japan but I'm fairly certain that that particular track was not on there. Still, that's why I didn't really have any wrapping up during the final bits; I just wanted that song to play and Ikuta's memories to shine through. But yeah, overall the Yutani's reveal was the biggest let down for the ending bits as his reasoning for going homicidal just didn't make much sense (though I tried my best to reason it out).

How Ingratiating! posted:

It doesn't look like anyone's planning to make a fan translation for Nanashi no Game: Me, but I can read the game just fine and dandy. So if there's a good walkthrough available (even a Japanese one), you could get through the game, and I could translate whatever's in the videos. I've been interested in seeing the sequel for a long time, so I'm willing to offer my help if/when you decide to LP this game in full. :)
I'd greatly appreciate it; just tell me how it would be easiest for you as Panzer Skank was able to find a guide that I could brute force my way through the game and we could figure out what would be the easiest means for me to get you a recording, have you do enough to where I could explain it, and work from there? I don't know what would really be easiest for you?

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
Heya, I enjoyed the LP, although I don't really get on too well with creepy spook games since they kinda push my buttons pretty good! I love to see games that I would otherwise never go near, that drat mirror falling down jump scare got me BOTH TIMES.

Kinda feel bad, I really don't have much of any comments to add other than some praise and good luck with the sequel? I also figured I should mention that if you're using MDS again you might like to try out using MDS_Set169WideScreen() since that'll generate a workspace that fills the whole widescreen area that might work better for 'sideways' games like the first person sections, and the layouts will probably adapt to it automatically - then again I'm not sure if that'll make the first person sections more or less weird... I kinda got used to them after a while, and maybe it doesn't matter with the whole uh, eye thing they've got going on? Anyway good luck with the sequel if you go that route, or with whatever your next project ends up being.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Mastigophoran posted:

Heya, I enjoyed the LP, although I don't really get on too well with creepy spook games since they kinda push my buttons pretty good! I love to see games that I would otherwise never go near, that drat mirror falling down jump scare got me BOTH TIMES.

Kinda feel bad, I really don't have much of any comments to add other than some praise and good luck with the sequel? I also figured I should mention that if you're using MDS again you might like to try out using MDS_Set169WideScreen() since that'll generate a workspace that fills the whole widescreen area that might work better for 'sideways' games like the first person sections, and the layouts will probably adapt to it automatically - then again I'm not sure if that'll make the first person sections more or less weird... I kinda got used to them after a while, and maybe it doesn't matter with the whole uh, eye thing they've got going on? Anyway good luck with the sequel if you go that route, or with whatever your next project ends up being.
Hmmmm, so would that be to just cut off the edges on the walking parts? Cause I'm not totally worried about that; really I was more curious if maybe there was a way to do the side by side but zoomed in. Like when people are talking and there's no gap in the center, cause I wasn't really sure if it'd look right filling the whole screen or not. Also I'm glad you enjoyed it and hopefully it wasn't as nauseating as you thought in the end.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Surprise eye surgery!

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Niggurath posted:

Hmmmm, so would that be to just cut off the edges on the walking parts? Cause I'm not totally worried about that; really I was more curious if maybe there was a way to do the side by side but zoomed in. Like when people are talking and there's no gap in the center, cause I wasn't really sure if it'd look right filling the whole screen or not. Also I'm glad you enjoyed it and hopefully it wasn't as nauseating as you thought in the end.

Try MDS_SideWays() instead of MDS_RotateEffectSub() would be my guess.

yokaiy
Dec 25, 2012

What a handsome tree!
:allears: You're the best.

I'm kinda surprised that you don't die in either ending. The difference between the two is kind of a let-down. Otherwise, I rather enjoyed that, thanks. :unsmith: I hope you decide to do the other one as well.

Also, I was working on one for Odaka, but got distracted and made an Asahi one instead. Whoopsie.

Also also, the soundtrack is in fact available on iTunes, but it is region-locked to Japan. I'm kinda upset about that -- I was gonna buy it.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Niggurath posted:

I'd greatly appreciate it; just tell me how it would be easiest for you as Panzer Skank was able to find a guide that I could brute force my way through the game and we could figure out what would be the easiest means for me to get you a recording, have you do enough to where I could explain it, and work from there? I don't know what would really be easiest for you?
I figure you can use Dropbox or something to share videos. My plan was to translate the dialogue and TS mails, then send you back a script with timestamps or something for when they show up, so you can talk about them. With the way you have to format the videos, I'm not sure if subtitles would show up properly, or be worth the effort, so an informed summary is probably the best way to go. For the guide, I was just gonna hit up a Japanese Nanashi no Game Me wiki and go from there. It looks pretty simple and thorough, and goes day by day in succinct bullet points. I could actually translate that before the videos.

Also, the name あ blends into the rest of the text really easily. Even ああああ would be better, and still kind of funny. Or you could go with Davey again, spelled in katakana. :v:

This is super excellent.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Really enjoyed this LP, I found this more unsettling than a lot of the larger budget horror games we see these days. It really built up a sense of tension and atmosphere at least. I'd definitely be interested in seeing the sequel, even if you could only explain it to the general degree you did in the bonus video.

Colorred
Dec 26, 2012
I also really liked the LP. The beginning of the game was the best part in my opinion; I found the setup pretty fantastic, particularly with the switching between TS and reality. After Odaka's apartment it kind of lost its scariness though, it kind of seemed like the protagonist was just going along with Ooyama's dumb requests because he had nothing else to do instead of trying to figure out what was going on. Pulling out your TS in the middle of being chased by regrets kind of ruined the immersion as well. Oh well.

That scare with the static-y projector in the sequel was really great, though. I got genuinely frightened there. It seems like all of my favorite parts take place in Odaka's apartment for some strange reason.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

yokaiy posted:

:allears: You're the best.

I'm kinda surprised that you don't die in either ending. The difference between the two is kind of a let-down. Otherwise, I rather enjoyed that, thanks. :unsmith: I hope you decide to do the other one as well.

Also, I was working on one for Odaka, but got distracted and made an Asahi one instead. Whoopsie.

Also also, the soundtrack is in fact available on iTunes, but it is region-locked to Japan. I'm kinda upset about that -- I was gonna buy it.
And that picture is still very amazing; you can't even begin to know how much it makes Panzer squeal when she sees your art posted in here. And it still brings up an interesting question of just what happened to Asahi; I mean the game makes it clear she's dead but never gives you any detail as to how. I find it hard to assume that she just starved to death in the hotel and it still seems like the lighthouse scene of her was possibly just to waste your few precious moments before the curse was up, but that suicide could have made more sense I suppose. I don't know, it just seems strange that they left that bit out or left it up to the player's imagination.

Also this is probably still my favorite piece of music from the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOaPusTVP2Y. Not only was it pleasant misdirection but it's a good version of the main theme.

How Ingratiating! posted:

I figure you can use Dropbox or something to share videos. My plan was to translate the dialogue and TS mails, then send you back a script with timestamps or something for when they show up, so you can talk about them. With the way you have to format the videos, I'm not sure if subtitles would show up properly, or be worth the effort, so an informed summary is probably the best way to go. For the guide, I was just gonna hit up a Japanese Nanashi no Game Me wiki and go from there. It looks pretty simple and thorough, and goes day by day in succinct bullet points. I could actually translate that before the videos.

Also, the name あ blends into the rest of the text really easily. Even ああああ would be better, and still kind of funny. Or you could go with Davey again, spelled in katakana. :v:
Well I can easily upload a raw of me going through the entire update talking to every NPC and leaving up any text for you to say what might be relevant or not (more than likely for the Ooyama-esque info dumps at the start I'd probably just have a black screen with text summarizing the events coming up rather than six minutes of text with static images). It should be somewhat easy to put in some English subtitles overriding the Japanese subtitles if I time out things correctly for the finished video. Or if it would be any easier I found someone that apparently didn't know Japanese that well who brute forced their way through the game and they might have left things on screen long enough for you to get the necessary text and time stamp off of: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6346E703B71BFC3E

Either way, I'd appreciate the help in making an LP of it and if it'd be easier to just send me a direct message on youtube or an email at dutchland_diesel@hotmail.com then we can work out more stuff there.

Colorred posted:

I also really liked the LP. The beginning of the game was the best part in my opinion; I found the setup pretty fantastic, particularly with the switching between TS and reality. After Odaka's apartment it kind of lost its scariness though, it kind of seemed like the protagonist was just going along with Ooyama's dumb requests because he had nothing else to do instead of trying to figure out what was going on. Pulling out your TS in the middle of being chased by regrets kind of ruined the immersion as well. Oh well.

That scare with the static-y projector in the sequel was really great, though. I got genuinely frightened there. It seems like all of my favorite parts take place in Odaka's apartment for some strange reason.
Yeah, I can definitely see that. The mall location especially just seemed to make gently caress all sense (outside of possible product placement?) but at least there were never any situations where Ooyama was wrong and we were left wasting time or a day. Now that would have been a real dick move.

And oh yeah, that projector thing scared me pretty badly went I first went through there because up to that point most of the scares had been the same. So at the time I thought maybe it was just a graphic upgrade for the apartment with some call backs, but nope. Also it scared me senseless in that one cutscene in the other apartment when the friend comes out of the closet cause holy gently caress was that loud. And I still don't understand that giant chicken painting or why it's so highly detailed:

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Niggurath posted:

Well I can easily upload a raw of me going through the entire update talking to every NPC and leaving up any text for you to say what might be relevant or not (more than likely for the Ooyama-esque info dumps at the start I'd probably just have a black screen with text summarizing the events coming up rather than six minutes of text with static images). It should be somewhat easy to put in some English subtitles overriding the Japanese subtitles if I time out things correctly for the finished video. Or if it would be any easier I found someone that apparently didn't know Japanese that well who brute forced their way through the game and they might have left things on screen long enough for you to get the necessary text and time stamp off of: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6346E703B71BFC3E

Thanks, that will actually work pretty well.

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

It didn't seem like there was a whole lot of challenge or real puzzle-solving to the game. More like being herded around to little bits and pieces of plot, with intervals of "don't get lost while getting chased by this thing that'll kill you if it touches you at all!" I'll usually forgive lame gameplay for a great plot, or a lame plot for great gameplay, but this game seemed like it was somewhere in the middle, not quite hitting great on either side. Still, I enjoyed watching it. Enough of the potential of the idea and the story came through to keep me interested and I'd like to find out what they did with the sequel.

The projector scare in the second one was really well done. I actually jumped.

yokaiy - Dang, that's fantastic! You've got some real talent going there, and I love the scene switching effect and the glitching.

As for the giant rooster painting ... well, Odaka did seem like a bit of a cock, didn't he? More seriously, though, I would guess that it's related to the zodiac sign of the rooster, known for being confident, motivated, and blunt. Or it could just be what someone on the art team felt like drawing. :iiam:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

not sure how it is in Japan, but it's thought the crowing of the cock would frighten away wicked creatures - so could be a bit of irony there.

Fermata
Jul 20, 2006

I be scrubbin', you be watchin' yo back

Niggurath posted:

And that picture is still very amazing; you can't even begin to know how much it makes Panzer squeal when she sees your art posted in here. And it still brings up an interesting question of just what happened to Asahi; I mean the game makes it clear she's dead but never gives you any detail as to how. I find it hard to assume that she just starved to death in the hotel and it still seems like the lighthouse scene of her was possibly just to waste your few precious moments before the curse was up, but that suicide could have made more sense I suppose. I don't know, it just seems strange that they left that bit out or left it up to the player's imagination.

Personally, I see it as her suggesting that she jumped off of the lighthouse or perhaps the cliff side near the bench into the ocean and drowned to death. With this in mind one can infer that the drowning death of Odaka and the throwing of the effigy into the lake are references to what happened to her after she fell into the ocean.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug
Mark me down as another who really enjoyed this LP. To be honest, I think the LP was probably the best way for me to experience this game; I don't think I would've enjoyed the atmosphere as much if I was doing the playing. I hope you are able to get the sequel LP off the ground.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Thanks for the LP! Mark me down as another interested for the sequel if you're doing that as well.

About the rooster:

^^from your VLP in the first game.
Isn't this the same image from the futuristic, Snow Crash-esque short story? Where you saw the image of a rooster like creature called the basilisk or cockatrice and you had to either get blac out drun in the hopes of forgetting it otherwise you died? Or it's just a photo of a rooster that is mildly horrifying to see in a darkened room.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wedemeyer posted:

Thanks for the LP! Mark me down as another interested for the sequel if you're doing that as well.

About the rooster:

^^from your VLP in the first game.
Isn't this the same image from the futuristic, Snow Crash-esque short story? Where you saw the image of a rooster like creature called the basilisk or cockatrice and you had to either get blac out drun in the hopes of forgetting it otherwise you died? Or it's just a photo of a rooster that is mildly horrifying to see in a darkened room.

The story is called "BLIT" and it has a parrot in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is it wrong that I like the bad end credits music better than the good end? I just wanted to hear an uncorrupted version of that chiptune.

Also the title of Ikuta's game is adorable.

• Locked thread