Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Chrono Cross is more about villains hijacking the previous game's happy ending and the new hero needing to bring it back, erasing his own adventures in the process.

Also the hero might or might no be the herald of the end times, it's not quite clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Chrono Cross is the story of one old man hatching a plan to save the princess of his kingdom and loving everything up for everyone. The plot is basically just the protagonist being thrown in the middle of this mess and having to sort it out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also Chrono Cross has better music than Chrono Trigger. :colbert:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Also Chrono Cross has better music than Chrono Trigger. :colbert:
You'll love AO then.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah, I watched the whole thing, it was poo poo.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I should give the show another chance now that it's freely available. I did finish it the first time, but came away underwhelmed. I'll even say it had more good parts than bad, but the setting's metaphysics seemed to revolve around The Golden Bough of all loving things, and some mixed up version of the Hayflick Limit. As a consequence I spent most of the second half wondering to myself, "you couldn't just have Dewey resent Holland for killing their mother, and view the Scub Coral as a threat to humanity? It has to be tied to this Neo-Pagan bullshit that your highly advanced civilization apparently subscribes to despite it never coming up beforehand?"

It's a weird thing to get hung up on, I admit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rangpur posted:

I should give the show another chance now that it's freely available. I did finish it the first time, but came away underwhelmed. I'll even say it had more good parts than bad, but the setting's metaphysics seemed to revolve around The Golden Bough of all loving things, and some mixed up version of the Hayflick Limit. As a consequence I spent most of the second half wondering to myself, "you couldn't just have Dewey resent Holland for killing their mother, and view the Scub Coral as a threat to humanity? It has to be tied to this Neo-Pagan bullshit that your highly advanced civilization apparently subscribes to despite it never coming up beforehand?"

It's a weird thing to get hung up on, I admit.

Well to be fair, the society at large didn't subscribe to the weird Hippy Neo-Pagan Scub Coral love poo poo. it was just the Cult of Varterak, who are seen as weirdos and terrorists by society at large.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The Golden Bough ritual was debunked by Adrock, and the Vodarak were Tibetan Buddhists, not Neo-Pagans.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I haven't watched the show since the original run in Japan. Maybe my vague, hazy memories will prove to be false impressions. For one thing I didn't even remember there WAS a character named Adrock. But to clarify, The Golden Bough stuff that annoyed me was to do with Dewey's weird fixations that seemed to have no goddamn basis in anything.

Whereas it was entirely reasonable for the NotBuddhists to believe in the Scub Coral as a living, thinking entity because it told them it was. :v:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

"King" Adrock Thurston is a character that doesn,t really appear ons creen but is still hugely important: aside from being a member of the Beastie Boys, he's also the Hero's father and a major scientist who set in motion a lot of the events in the show. When Dewey has his big flashback episode, he says that the Sacrifice King was repalced with the Scientist King (Adrock) who debunked all the old myths.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The best part of the Eureka Seven OST collection is that's it's mostly Sato Naoki's atmospheric BGM but then sandwiched right in the middle is stuff like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csvg2ZD2KvY

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 1, 2015

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Of all the things wrong with AO, the last 10 seconds annoys me the most. His board worked off Tapars, there are no more Scub producing Tapars so he should have plummeted to his death! I mean the whole thing was crop but it bothered me.

Rogue Lemon
Nov 15, 2012
My first / only exposure to this show was watching a bunch of alien bug things assault a town and hunt down the occupants. And then a mother smothered her own child as a mercy killing before they slaughtered her. Kinda hosed up!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Rogue Lemon posted:

My first / only exposure to this show was watching a bunch of alien bug things assault a town and hunt down the occupants. And then a mother smothered her own child as a mercy killing before they slaughtered her. Kinda hosed up!

let me smother you before you watch ao

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Acer Pilot posted:

let me smother you before you watch ao

I'll take my chances with the starfish aliens, frankly speaking

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Ok so I'm 10 episodes into s1... am i totally off-base for being really annoyed at this show's characters? I hate to throw it out there, but what is this hitler apologist bullshit lol

I thought you guys said this cartoon was good

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I was the same way at the beginning, all the characters were annoying with only a few exceptions. Around 10/11 was when the show started really changing for me. You may not end up liking it at all, but I'd encourage some sticking around. Character development is a huge theme of the show.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So far Renton and Eureka's artificial as gently caress "relationship" has been tolerably annoying, but the thing that really made the show hard to swallow was the whole:
ep9 spoilers:
E: Oh yeah so I'm a loving dead-inside-mass-murderer-of-civilians-dog-of-the-military R: Oh that's ok because I like you and you don't want to do it anymore right?? I mean for poo poo's sake, if you cared that much don't you think you'd probably uh I don't know, mutiny/rebel against the military BEFORE massacring every jew and their babies??

The mega handwaving Renton did is seriously annoying

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Renton is handwaving it. Reality does not allow him to handwave it forever.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I'll stick with it then and see how it turns out, thanks

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Razzled posted:

So far Renton and Eureka's artificial as gently caress "relationship" has been tolerably annoying, but the thing that really made the show hard to swallow was the whole:
ep9 spoilers:
E: Oh yeah so I'm a loving dead-inside-mass-murderer-of-civilians-dog-of-the-military R: Oh that's ok because I like you and you don't want to do it anymore right?? I mean for poo poo's sake, if you cared that much don't you think you'd probably uh I don't know, mutiny/rebel against the military BEFORE massacring every jew and their babies??

The mega handwaving Renton did is seriously annoying

That's kind of a massive misreading of that scene. Hint: it's definitely against the killing of civilians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

The series gets infinitely better once Renton peaces out from the Gekko State crew.

• Locked thread