Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
There's something terribly wrong here. The things that came out of that ugly pig are cute as hell.

Did you get the extended pig warantee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I think I found your problem, you stick a fish on land of course its gonna be ugly.

What youve got there is finless Sunfish,was your "pig" floating in the ocean when you got it and had you just ran over it in your boat?

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Tim Jong-un posted:

I think I found your problem, you stick a fish on land of course its gonna be ugly.

What youve got there is finless Sunfish,was your "pig" floating in the ocean when you got it and had you just ran over it in your boat?

How else does one acquire a pig:confused:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Sunfish freak me out, so that prob explains why this pig is so horrible to look at to me.

She only had one more (also a girl) and has passed both placentas so she's all done. Small litter was prob partially due to being a first timer, partially due to being a PB, and mostly due to being fat as gently caress.

She's fat bc she's a lazy piece of poo poo and never leaves the barn if she can help it, so the other pigs need like 3x as much food as she does because they're so active and reducing the overall amount of food just results in the others losing too much weight because they'd rather run around than stand there and eat and be useless like her. I'm not doing ~individually portioned piggy mealtimes~ because they're not my fur angel pets so she's gonna go on a diet after these are weaned and before I put her back with the others and if she legit just *can not* be anything but a landwhale without a ton of babying and special care then I'll just have to eat her. Sry pig, u were a practice pig anyway.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
awww congratulations, cute little piglets there :)

Ferretten
Jun 13, 2006
behind tired eyes, behind tired eyes, he is waiting. and knowing our destinies.

Pig is a perfect oblong.

Ferretten
Jun 13, 2006
behind tired eyes, behind tired eyes, he is waiting. and knowing our destinies.

Congrats on baby pigs though, they're pretty cute

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Super, how are the baby pigs doing? Mama Pig doing alright after giving birth? Oh, how are your goats doing?

Does the Papa Pig have anything to do with the young ones or is it all up to Mama Pig and Human?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Have you/the dogs eaten the pigs yet or are you going to sell them? Is suckling pig worth more per pound than mature pork?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
I've got to admit I was expecting a lot more piglets.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Lolie posted:

I've got to admit I was expecting a lot more piglets.

That pig was not full of piglets. She's just fat as gently caress. I was too.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

bamhand posted:

That pig was not full of piglets. She's just fat as gently caress. I was too.

It wasn't just her size. I grew up in a farming area and my childhood recollection may be faulty but my memory is of pigs having litters of 8 or more.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Lolie posted:

It wasn't just her size. I grew up in a farming area and my childhood recollection may be faulty but my memory is of pigs having litters of 8 or more.

I'm sure that's the case after the first litter, but as Supercondescending explained above, it's her first litter so it's going to be small.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
Ya first litters are small, and also PBs are useless bullshit pigs and usually have smaller litters than full size pigs. I was expecting 3 or 4 for her first litter, but because she's a whale 2 is no biggie. I don't care, these are practice pigs and I just want to farrow a few litters before I drop $$ on real pigs so I don't screw up with more expensive pigs. Smaller litters = less to deal with for now so w/e.

piscesbobbie posted:

Super, how are the baby pigs doing? Mama Pig doing alright after giving birth? Oh, how are your goats doing?

Does the Papa Pig have anything to do with the young ones or is it all up to Mama Pig and Human?

Nah the father doesn't have anything to do with them. The mother is separated for farrowing because the other females will fight her for the babies, the boar will breed her again *instantly* once she has farrowed, and it just creates a bunch of bullshit so they have their babies by themselves and then you reintroduce the mother and introduce the babies back to the others in a few weeks. Boars are usually pretty tolerant of babies but they don't really directly care for them.

The goats are good. The pigs are good. :)

Avshalom posted:

Have you/the dogs eaten the pigs yet or are you going to sell them? Is suckling pig worth more per pound than mature pork?

Being tiny, useless pot bellied pigs, the piglets are way too small to eat. Even suckling pigs are a few months old, newborns are tiny. ;)

I wouldn't say suckling pig is worth more. The average slaughter size for pigs is about 250ish lbs, which (depending on breed) they reach at about 6 months or so of age. Suckling pigs are usually about 30-60 lb weaners. They are usually sold per pound, so you would get more for the bigger pig obvs, but you've also put more into feeding that pig to get it to market weight soooo.

Most people are horrified at eating pot bellied pigs, but there is also no real pet market for them, because they make lovely pets. We will prooobably just eat these ourselves when they're around 6ish months old. I'm looking at breeders right now to get a registered pair of kunekune in the spring. I'll sell registered piglets from that pair to people who are super into kunekunes in order to fund everything else, then cross the boar to mid-size heritage meat breeds for actual meat animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Baby pigs :3:

Boot is a good name, good dog.

• Locked thread