Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Okay so most of you probably guessed, but this game will go on hiatus for a while.

Unfortunately I am just utterly burned out on godgames at the moment, to the point I don't even really want to talk about them much. I'm still around on IRC and I'll probably come back to #ohgod in a bit but for the time being this will be on hold.

I do intend to continue, there are some neat plot ideas I want to get to an explore with you all so I hope you will be ready to come back once I am recharged and refreshed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Hi all,

As you might have guessed this game is dead in the waters.

There were a number of reasons, mostly to do with me and pretty much in the work and personal issues basket.

As a quick rundown of what was happening:

1. All the gods were actually gods from Venetus' past that had reincarnated as new gods. This meant that Iantho's memories were copied from the Iantho of another world. Rooh-Vah was just a god whose reincarnation got kind of messed up and merged with the chasis of an old space probe.

2. The universe has a limited amount of entropy that it can contain, which meant every divine action contributed to the heat death of the universe, because it draws upon what is essentially a form of zero-point/vacuum energy to change reality.

3. A god themselves is a quantum function that can exert influence and pressure on reality around them. You had physical forms, but they were essentially just solid projections.

The life-cycle of gods essentially is: gods are born from the collective desires and influences of sapient beings. As they become advanced and no longer require the existence of the divine to explain the world, gods become detached and to an extent disempowered from their progenitor species. Gods usually die off or eventually kill each other, leaving only one or a few gods remaining.

As creatures explore space, and settle new worlds, those gods go with them and find a new world. There they merge with the world, sustaining themselves of geothermal and solar radiation and become a Gaia-entity. Then they influence the world subtly to bring about the existence of new sapient beings.

(The cases where new gods were born was not literally a new god being created, but instead an existing one being re-imprinted with new memories and a personality. This is mostly a technicality to the background, as for the narrative it was effectively just creating a new god)

4. There is a group of ascended mortal races and gods that police the universe, making sure that gods do not cause too much entropy and speed up the death of the universe. This is what the observers reported to, and what all of my techno-babble about the planet's condition and energy readings was relating to.

(Coincidentally Iantho's original self was one of the observers. After his planet was nuked into a tomb world, he was offered a chance to act as an agent of this entity to police the universe)

(The ascended AI realised that their powers contributed to the heat-death of the universe and also suspected the existence of some kind of censor based on the age and 'health' of the universe as a whole. This was why it wanted to leave and get out of the way before you all brought down the threat on yourselves)

5. The ominous mentions of the fire and death coming was essentially the threat of the universal censor entity. The players would either have to flee, submit to becoming a new world in the end, or find some way to challenge them. The latter part would be difficult but possible.

(The fire and cauldron was going to be the world being bathed in some kind of coronal mass ejection that would extinct all life and probably disrupt and 'kill' the gods.)

6. Venetus herself wanted the player gods to challenge and defy the universal censor entity, which was why she reincarnated and gave birth to a bunch of new gods instead of simply bringing about one nature god to revitalise the world and then letting them proceed with the natural life cycle of gods.

A lot of this is pretty abstract and conceptual stuff that practically made little effect on what each player did and their stories, but affected the background and end-game of the story as a whole.

While I apologise for petering out, I hope everyone at least had fun while the game lasted. I have a new game that I am going to run, one I think will be easier to manage and be engaged with for players so please have a look at that if you are interested.

• Locked thread